What if EJ Stinks or Gets Injured Again?

Would a line up of Mike Williams, Sammy, Woods, Goodwin and Manual or Williams, Stevie, Woods, Goodwin and Bortles ( or another one of the early drafted QB's ) feel better right now. Somehow, reading about Manuel in OTA's is not making me feel good about the decision we made.

When he says he Is trying to remain even keeled and not too emotional he sounds like Rob Johnson or Losman not a leader. Not being able to make a throw in practice sounds all too familiar.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guarantee that Watkins has better production than SJ this year. Guarantee EJ has better production than Bortles or any other of the "early" drafted (whatever that even means since I would consider Bortles the only early drafted one myself) QBs this year. Guarantee that OTAs don't mean jack squat. Guarantee these hypothetical "what if we did..." don't mean squat either.

Edited by Mark80

This is a rhetorical question, right?

I and many other posters here remember '68 when we lost 4 QBs due to injury and Eddie Rutkowski was pressed into service. You deal with it. What other choice do you have?

GO BILLS!!!

I think Thad did well last year considering the circumstances. He has a certain fire or attitude about him that I like, and while he will probably never be a top end starter in the NFL, I do think he's a decent backup who now knows the system.

I'm not sold on Tuel as anything more than a 3rd stringer. He seems to float almost every one of his passes, didn't see any zip in the KC game last year.

If EJ stinks or gets injured then we're mostly screwed...Thad can play "don't get you killed" football for a few games, but he cannot win a game on his arm. EJ can; whether he can do so consistently is a big question mark for certain, but the ability to do so is there.

I can't say the same for Thad or Tuel IMO.

I and many other posters here remember '68 when we lost 4 QBs due to injury and Eddie Rutkowski was pressed into service. You deal with it. What other choice do you have?

this is insane. ed rutkowski is probably, like, 70 years old now. even if you you subscribe to the "70 is the new 40" adage, he would still be among the oldest quarterbacks in the league! i'm as nostalgic as the next guy, but this strikes me as a "marv levy as gm"-type move. it reeks of desperation.

there have got to be better options!

Edited by Dirtbag

I'm not sold on Tuel as anything more than a 3rd stringer. He seems to float almost every one of his passes, didn't see any zip in the KC game last year.

That was weird. I never recalled seeing him float balls in pre-season. I wonder if it was nerves/trying to aim the ball or something. I guess we will see during camp.

This is a rhetorical question, right?

GO BILLS!!!

The ominous issue isn't what do you do if EJ gets hurt so much (part of the environment every team has to deal with)it is what do you do if EJ is ineffective. Do you continue to invest in him at the expense of the offense built to play now or do you pursue other options?

Do I believe that EJ is ready to be a starter? At this point I simply don't know. No one does. The one issue that bothers me the most is that I am not sure that he has the level of accuracy for the pro game. Having all the physical tools means little if one doesn't have the degree of accuracy for the pro passing game with very tight spaces.

As you stated you go with what you got. There is nothing else you can do. Maybe a veteran like a Cassel type qb would have been a good option to get temporarily by if the young qb doesn't progress at the pace he should.

Whaley and the organization believe in him and are invested in him. Although I am queasy about him I think he will work out????