EJ in review

vegas55

I say this every year but this year is extremely important to look like we have some sort of continuity in the preseason games. We've got to build confidence going into the season even though the games don't mean anything. We have to come out of the gates firing on all cylinders this year. The schedule isn't going to forgive us for playing good defense but mediocre to awful offense. It really does seem like they've addressed every problem they had last year. I just hope that we get consistent play out of EJ, I still have flashbacks of the Tampa Bay game. Being at the game I remember burning in the florida sun and watching my team just embarrass themselves starting with EJ. One of the worst games I can remember ever watching. Staying healthy so we can build continuity, hoping our coaches use their gamebreaker tools the right way (spiller, Goodwin, now Sammy and Williams) and finding a way to beat Tom F'n Brady 2 time would put he icing on the cake an set us up for a playoff berth.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whenever I think of SJ, I instantly think of that drop versus Pittsburgh. Rightly or wrongly -- It is what it is. I wish him well in SF, but I'm glad the Bills finally figured out that he wasn't a #1 receiver and moved on.

I agree.

By the way, I love your screen name!! Are you a Monk fan? Good stuff.

None of those things had anything to do with Stevie's interpersonal relationships on the team. Did he make bonehead mistakes? Absolutely. But that isn't the same thing as being a poor teammate. This isn't an issue of debate, it's fact. Just ask anyone who's played with him if he's good in the locker room and they will tell you the same thing.

A big reason they got rid of Stevie was to help EJ's leadership position. Now EJ has as much experience in the system (and almost in the league) as all the WRs on the roster meaning EJ can take a more active leadership role -- something he could not do as a rookie nor with an entrenched veteran in the WR corps who didn't mesh with the coach.

You are kidding right? Putting yourself ahead of the team is the definition of being a poor teammate. Showing up your QB (who is also your teammate) is a classic example of being a poor teammate. "Getting rid of Stevie to help EJs leadership position" is just another way of saying Stevie undermined his QB (teammate) and had to go; another example of being a poor teammate.

"Just ask anyone who played with him" - I mean, come on. You think a fan (or a reporter) can just ask a player what kind of teammate a fellow player is and that player is going give a forthright answer and rip his teammate. Does not happen, and for a lot of good reasons.

no one here mentioned the Jets drop either

Actually I did 11 posts up.

And then there was the Jets in the shoot yourself in the foot Bowl. Against Cinci SJ had one called a non catch in the 4th Q killing a drive that was pretty close , so not sure that counts.

You are kidding right? Putting yourself ahead of the team is the definition of being a poor teammate.

If it's a continued pattern, yes. With Stevie it wasn't. It was endzone celebrations after he scored. Stupid in the moment, but that doesn't make him a bad teammate at all. Again, I'm not saying this as opinion, it's just a fact that Stevie was really well liked in that locker room. Ask anyone who's been in it and they'll tell you the same. Being a bad teammate to me implies someone who's selfish and disrespectful of the work his teammates are doing. Stevie is not that guy. In fact, he was quite generous with his time in terms of helping other WRs and even the QBs out.

I get you don't like his antics because as a fan they drive us nuts. But that's not the same thing as being a bad teammate.

Showing up your QB (who is also your teammate) is a classic example of being a poor teammate. "Getting rid of Stevie to help EJs leadership position" is just another way of saying Stevie undermined his QB (teammate) and had to go; another example of being a poor teammate.

He never showed up EJ and my point about leadership is not proof of being a bad teammate. It's about the reality of the situation. Stevie had been here his whole career, been over 1,000 a few times and was set in his practice ways because they'd led him to success. What Hackett said recently, which is where I'm getting the EJ stuff from, was about how they wanted to create an environment where the WRs and QB -- the majority of which were first / second year players on this club -- to grow and learn together.

It has nothing to do with Stevie's congeniality.

"Just ask anyone who played with him" - I mean, come on. You think a fan (or a reporter) can just ask a player what kind of teammate a fellow player is and that player is going give a forthright answer and rip his teammate. Does not happen, and for a lot of good reasons.

It's Buffalo. The best part of Buffalo are that the players and reporters are actually quite accessible if you put in some effort. You'd be surprised what you can learn when there's not a camera in someone's face.

Catchable, but hardly a good pass. Let's not rewrite history to further an agenda. GIF is here: http://nesn.com/2013...-it-looked-gif/ .

That's the type of play that killed me with SJ. He has one fall that hits him in both hands, but then you see him go up and one hand the catch against Seattle when we played them in TO.

I guess we remember the bad plays more than the good ones but I really can't recall many other spectacular plays.

Catchable, but hardly a good pass. Let's not rewrite history to further an agenda. GIF is here: http://nesn.com/2013...-it-looked-gif/ .

I saw that link. It seems to me that EJ was rushed and the defender was close to getting in his face. EJ gets the ball out to an open SJ, who proceeds to make it look difficult and drops it. There is no rewriting history, at least on this one play. A #1 WR (which he was last year), needs to make that uncontested catch. There really is no way to give SJ the benefit of doubt on this one.

Catchable, but hardly a good pass. Let's not rewrite history to further an agenda. GIF is here: http://nesn.com/2013/09/stevie-johnson-says-key-fourth-quarter-drop-against-patriots-was-tougher-than-it-looked-gif/ .

Bad drop by Stevie, but holy turnstile, did Brown even try to stop that rusher? Cheese n crackers, that guy really sucked.

I agree.

By the way, I love your screen name!! Are you a Monk fan? Good stuff.

LOL! Thanks. The show is good, but this is a throwback to my journalism days. In our coverage area, there was a monk who had a penchant for getting into trouble. He had just been convicted of a felony for the 24th time, and we did a feature on him and a large group of followers who were set to go on a hunger strike in front of city hall in protest. I needed a two-word headline at deadline (there was room for an eight-word subhed/qualifier below it) -- and that's the first thing that came to mind. So I ran with it. Rack sales hit record highs that day/edition and he was branded "Felonious Monk" by regional media thereafter.

It's more of an inside joke than anything. I was feeling nostalgic when I registered for this site. :)

LOL! Thanks. The show is good, but this is a throwback to my journalism days. In our coverage area, there was a monk who had a penchant for getting into trouble. He had just been convicted of a felony for the 24th time, and we did a feature on him and a large group of followers who were set to go on a hunger strike in front of city hall in protest. I needed a two-word headline at deadline (there was room for an eight-word subhed/qualifier below it) -- and that's the first thing that came to mind. So I ran with it. Rack sales hit record highs that day/edition and he was branded "Felonious Monk" by regional media thereafter.

It's more of an inside joke than anything. I was feeling nostalgic when I registered for this site. :)

The first thing I thought of was Thelonious Monk, the jazz musician. Not the show. But great screen name given the back story.