EJ in review

vegas55

But in years past I've had to go through countless mental gymnastics in order to find enough reasons for hope. This year, the reasons are obvious and evident. This roster has more talent than we've seen from this franchise in at least a decade. If EJ can take a step, the rest of the pieces are there.

If Coach Marrone and staff can take a step, we can do something this year. I'm much more worried about them, than I am EJ.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Stevie, but, off the top of my head, you can attribute 3 losses directly to him (NE, PIT, ATL). Not sure you could say that about any other WR in the league.

Whenever I think of SJ, I instantly think of that drop versus Pittsburgh. Rightly or wrongly -- It is what it is. I wish him well in SF, but I'm glad the Bills finally figured out that he wasn't a #1 receiver and moved on.

Evolved? The original post was essentially placing blame on SJ.

Well..it is kind of refreshing. For the last 5 months, nearly every football thread turned into an EJ dog-pile... so, somebody starts a thread, ostensibly a review of EJ's rookie season, and it turns into a Stevie Johnson B word-fest..that is so TBD!

As to the original intent of this thread, I won't claim to be an expert...but I too went back and watched every one of EJ Manuels regular season starts. Like everyone I have my concerns, but I think, as a collective, we are a pretty negative lot. I was a little down on the guy too...but after re-watching, I think it is squarely a case where we tend to emphasize the negative and forget the positives. EJ was nowhere near as bad as some people here seem to think. Definitely needs some improvement, but I came away from my review more impressed than I thought I might be, and a lot more optimistic than I was at the end of the 2013 season. I don't know that EJ Manuel will have us forgetting about Jim Kelly any time soon...but I do believe the team can win more games than it loses, with EJ behind center.

Obviously (!!) the biggest area of concern is erratic accuracy. If he can improve at all in this area (and by all accounts he is working his ass off to be a better QB), there is a lot to like about his game.

btw- when reviewing the season, I was struck by how instrumental Stevie was to EJ's early success in the season...

Edited by Buftex

I like Stevie, but, off the top of my head, you can attribute 3 losses directly to him (NE, PIT, ATL). Not sure you could say that about any other WR in the league.

And then there was the Jets in the shoot yourself in the foot Bowl. Against Cinci SJ had one called a non catch in the 4th Q killing a drive that was pretty close , so not sure that counts.

Back to the original subject:

I still have 5 of the Bills wins from last year on TIVO. EJ plays in Ravens, Panthers, and Jaguras. Thaddues plays in the 2 Fish games. I've been watching them some. What I noticed is EJ makes some really good passes downfield. Not the 50 yard bombs many want, but the 15 - 20 yard variety. EJ and Woods are tight. At the same time there were several plays per game where SJ and EJ were off. EJ throws to SJ who's not ready and it bounces off of him. SJ zigs/EJ zags, stuff like that.

EJ seriously needs to take batter care of the football and cut down on the fumbles.

Plays well in clutch.

I'm looking forward to seeing what he does this year. With the additions of Willliams and Sammy, I'm encouraged.

Edited by reddogblitz

Through the beauty of NFL rewind, I recently had the chance to watch Bills opener v Pats last year. In a fairly tough situation for a rookie QB, first game, Patriots, Brady etc - EJ produced quite an impressive performance, much better than I had remembered. He played extremely well. Actually, he appeared to be the most composed player on the offense, and it was disappointing how the veteran players let him (and Bills fans) down. First possession of game, Spiller produces a ridiculous fumble, not from a hit but from shifting ball from right to left hand. Dumb penalties hurt. Chandler has a big drop. And of course, not to be outdone by anybody, good old Stevie Johnson has a huge drop on a very easy pass, 3rd and two on a big drive in the fourth quarter. Thank the heavens that we don't have to watch that loser come up small in big situations anymore. It was especially rough to watch Pats receivers, making less than half the money Stevie was making, come up with difficult catches in that last quarter.

So it's a huge positive as far as EJ is concerned, and a classic case of addition by subtraction as the team ridded itself of the choking cancer that Stevie Johnson was.

So this really is a thread about rotten Stevie.

Well..it is kind of refreshing. For the last 5 months, nearly every football thread turned into an EJ dog-pile... so, somebody starts a thread, ostensibly a review of EJ's rookie season, and it turns into a Stevie Johnson B word-fest..that is so TBD!

As to the original intent of this thread, I won't claim to be an expert...but I too went back and watched every one of EJ Manuels regular season starts. Like everyone I have my concerns, but I think, as a collective, we are a pretty negative lot. I was a little down on the guy too...but after re-watching, I think it is squarely a case where we tend to emphasize the negative and forget the positives. EJ was nowhere near as bad as some people here seem to think. Definitely needs some improvement, but I came away from my review more impressed than I thought I might be, and a lot more optimistic than I was at the end of the 2013 season. I don't know that EJ Manuel will have us forgetting about Jim Kelly any time soon...but I do believe the team can win more games than it loses, with EJ behind center.

Obviously (!!) the biggest area of concern is erratic accuracy. If he can improve at all in this area (and by all accounts he is working his ass off to be a better QB), there is a lot to like about his game.

btw- when reviewing the season, I was struck by how instrumental Stevie was to EJ's early success in the season...

I agree. People are so hard on him as I guess every QB has to come out and perform like Andrew Luck to be considered not a bust. I've said this before, but go look at Brady, and both Mannings, as well as Big Ben in their rookie year. Now I know Ben and Brady won the SB, but not because of them. In both teams, it was their defense.

EJ was interviewed as well as the coaching staff as he had to learn so much last year, and had to think about it, vs. react. He is ahead of where he was last year so I don't care in OTA's if they were a little sloppy. This is where they are supposed to make mistakes. If they are concluding camp, and still making a ton of mistakes, that would concern me.

Go Bills!

Very few losses for any team can be attributed exclusively to a single player. Atlanta was 4-12 last season and averaged 22 ppg, we allowed them to put up 34. If we were as half as good as some think then we should have walked all over them at home. Pittsburgh wasn't that good either.

How many games did we lose because of Manuel's horrible passing? Or our inability to halt other teams' passing games despite racking up sacks? Looking at Atlanta here as one.

Edited by TaskersGhost

Picked Stevie in the 7th, got three 1,000 yard seasons out of him, traded him for a 3rd or 4th round pick. Sounds like a win for Buffalo, and for many here on the board.

EJ threw the ball pretty well with little pressure and his feet planted (like many NFL QB's do). I believe with an improved line and timing with his new receivers, he will be a solid QB. I will be nervous late August if he is not improving his accuracy and decision making.

Completely untrue. No one has said anything other than Stevie was an excellent teammate. He was not traded because he was a locker room problem or a poor teammate.

Really? was it my imagination or did Stevie get benched for putting himself ahead of his team (and teammates) by drawing yet another penalty for his tired and childish end zone celebration. And it Was Marrone who last year had to call Stevie in for a private meeting because of his attitude. And it was Marrone who asked a few of the veteran players to talk to Stevie and try to get through to him. And it was Stevie himself last year who visibly showed up his young QBs when they made a poor throw.

Yea - he was a great teammate. That's why the Bills took the big cap hit, and shipped him out for a low draft pick - because he was such a great teammate.

Really? was it my imagination or did Stevie get benched for putting himself ahead of his team (and teammates) by drawing yet another penalty for his tired and childish end zone celebration. And it Was Marrone who last year had to call Stevie in for a private meeting because of his attitude. And it was Marrone who asked a few of the veteran players to talk to Stevie and try to get through to him. And it was Stevie himself last year who visibly showed up his young QBs when they made a poor throw.

Yea - he was a great teammate. That's why the Bills took the big cap hit, and shipped him out for a low draft pick - because he was such a great teammate.

Dumping his bloated contract (thanks NIx) and getting a mid round pick for him is IMO the best move by Whaley to date.

Time for the losing is okay attitude of this team too stop, and that was a great start.

In niner land other than hardcore fans no one even knows the guy yet. I would guess somewhere within the Niners food chain he has been told about their views on magic markers and T-shirts. Also, it's doubtful he will shrug his shoulders at Kap. If he gets his number called.in the huddle

WHat I want to know is where were all of you 3 years ago when i got massively flamed for even suggesting SJ was merely not a true "#1" ???

no one here mentioned the Jets drop either, that and the atlanta and pittsburg, were definite game losers, the New England drop was not the sole reason we lost that game, and it was a tougher catch than it looked. NE had time and could have still managed a TD regardless if he makes that 3 yard catch.

Interesting how people still think 1000 yards is more meaningful than wins. Ill take a WR who gets 900 yards a season every year as long as he is clutch, has a low drop % and could actually go deep, oh and who doesnt get hurt every year because he has a lazy work out regime.

I'm going to miss Stevie for sure, as he was a huge part of this franchise for the last few years but I am excited with the new approach that this team is taking. I truly believe that Watkins is going to be a gamebreaker. Dude just gets it- and he won't accept failure. Add in our other receivers and we are non-defendable if EJ takes a step up this year. Watch for Woods to have a huge year.

None of those things had anything to do with Stevie's interpersonal relationships on the team. Did he make bonehead mistakes? Absolutely. But that isn't the same thing as being a poor teammate. This isn't an issue of debate, it's fact. Just ask anyone who's played with him if he's good in the locker room and they will tell you the same thing.

A big reason they got rid of Stevie was to help EJ's leadership position. Now EJ has as much experience in the system (and almost in the league) as all the WRs on the roster meaning EJ can take a more active leadership role -- something he could not do as a rookie nor with an entrenched veteran in the WR corps who didn't mesh with the coach.

None of those things had anything to do with Stevie's interpersonal relationships on the team. Did he make bonehead mistakes? Absolutely. But that isn't the same thing as being a poor teammate. This isn't an issue of debate, it's fact. Just ask anyone who's played with him if he's good in the locker room and they will tell you the same thing.

A big reason they got rid of Stevie was to help EJ's leadership position. Now EJ has as much experience in the system (and almost in the league) as all the WRs on the roster meaning EJ can take a more active leadership role -- something he could not do as a rookie nor with an entrenched veteran in the WR corps who didn't mesh with the coach.

That, and the fact Stevie couldn't run a technical timing route to save his life.

That, and the fact Stevie couldn't run a technical timing route to save his life.

Absolutely played a part -- and ties in with EJ's ability to lead. As a rookie QB, who is EJ to tell Stevie, a vested veteran, how to run his routes? Even as a one year vet that was going to be a tricky wicket.