World Cup Thread

• Replies 945
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well guys. I didn't want to come on TBD until I watched the game (DVR'd it). Amazing. Really concerned with our injuries and our conditioning. Either we were gassed second half or we were sitting back playing a "prevent" defense. Also, with the exception of the second goal, our ability to head the ball when contested was somewhat weak...it seemed Ghana won most contested balls. But this is very exciting. Great game. USA!!!!

Wow -- that was a great ending. The second half was like watching the Rangers trying to hold off the Kings, you figured the tying goal was just a matter of time. Somehow they dug deep and created the opportunity after Ghana tied it up. Woo-hoo!

Well guys. I didn't want to come on TBD until I watched the game (DVR'd it). Amazing. Really concerned with our injuries and our conditioning. Either we were gassed second half or we were sitting back playing a "prevent" defense. Also, with the exception of the second goal, our ability to head the ball when contested was somewhat weak...it seemed Ghana won most contested balls. But this is very exciting. Great game. USA!!!!

Altidore's early exit hamstrung us (pun intended) in our ability to strategically substitute to avoid fatigue, which was compounded by the sheer pace on Ghana's wings. Neither Portugal nor Germany will be able to do that to us.

US dominated after Ghana scored. Quite a high character moment in what was a must-win game for both sides. Pick orr Portugal and they are in.

Injury to Jozy is brutal. And don't underestimate Beisler injury either. Worse for the US, Beaseley was a practice cone at left back.

Not worried about Bardley's bad game. He will be OK.

Altidore's early exit hamstrung us (pun intended) in our ability to strategically substitute to avoid fatigue, which was compounded by the sheer pace on Ghana's wings. Neither Portugal nor Germany will be able to do that to us.

Maybe not Germany but Portugal will. The US has to beat Portugal because there's not much chance of beating Germany.

Edited by John Adams

!@#$ me, that was a grueling game.

That was a crazy fight of a soccer game. I knew it wouldn't be easy. Nice three points! Hurts about Jozy and I feel for him.

Bradley made a lot of sloppy touches. Something about Ghana just makes the US look bad. But they fought through it. Beautiful finish! I'm so happy for Brooks.

Men of the match:

1. Jones

2. Cameron

3. Howard

4. Dempsey

5. Brooks

Edited by Cugalabanza

Very frustrating game to watch. With the exception of a few instances, the US had little control in their offensive end. I wonder, as someone eluded to earlier, if they were using some sort of "prevent" formation for most of the game. They seemed to return to their attacking style after the Ghana goal. Beasley was absolutely brutal in the 1st half...improved somewhat in the 2nd. Liked what I saw from Fabian Johnson in the 2nd half.

Losing Josy is going to kill this team's chances if they happen to advance. Anyone hear how long he could be out? Is he done? Yeesh!

John Oliver did a segment on FIFA last night, it was hilarious and figured it belongs here: NSFW due to language.

Lol great piece! And so true...

It's far worse even;

Blatter his nephew has gotten the ditribution rights for the broadcasts in Asia: http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/15497214

Former FIFA vice president Warner had his own scam with TV rights: http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/14844343

Several billion dollar in bribes paid by ISL in order to get TV rights (discovered by curator after bankruptcy, receiving parties protected from disclosure by Swiss law): http://www.playthegame.org/theme-pages/who-took-the-bribes-fifa-corruption-and-the-isl.html

and that is just the tip of the iceberg, FIFA would put a mafia organisation to shame.

Next USA game against Portugal will be played in Manaus... USA allready looked like they were short on conditioning against Ghana, they will get smoked by Portugal in Manaus if they are really behind on conditioning. Manuas is horrible.

Great game by the US yesterday.

They deserved to win that game

CBF

Thanks, CBF! Sorry for your team. That was a rough showing. I don't know what will happen on Sunday. The winner of this game (if there is one) will probably be the team to advance along with Germany.

Very frustrating game to watch. With the exception of a few instances, the US had little control in their offensive end. I wonder, as someone eluded to earlier, if they were using some sort of "prevent" formation for most of the game. They seemed to return to their attacking style after the Ghana goal. Beasley was absolutely brutal in the 1st half...improved somewhat in the 2nd. Liked what I saw from Fabian Johnson in the 2nd half.

Losing Josy is going to kill this team's chances if they happen to advance. Anyone hear how long he could be out? Is he done? Yeesh!

Yeah, that was a very weird game. The US looked way too sloppy with their passing. Bradley had a very poor showing. It's very fortunate that they were able to grind out three points through sheer effort. I'm glad Ghana is out of the way. There are just a really brutal team to play.

Doesn't look good for Jozy.

Thanks, CBF! Sorry for your team. That was a rough showing. I don't know what will happen on Sunday. The winner of this game (if there is one) will probably be the team to advance along with Germany.

Yeah, that was a very weird game. The US looked way too sloppy with their passing. Bradley had a very poor showing. It's very fortunate that they were able to grind out three points through sheer effort. I'm glad Ghana is out of the way. There are just a really brutal team to play.

Doesn't look good for Jozy.

Thanks for the kind words. As of right now US deserves to go through. It would not surprise me if Portugal doesnt even win a game.

Bento needs to be fired. He is the worst manger in the history of Portuguese football.

Thankfully, my wife is Dutch so I have a good back up team to fall back on.

CBF

Edited by Canadian Bills Fan