World Cup Thread

• Replies 945
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You actually sanction this stuff? You can understand it? Oh sage soccer fan, please explain WTF just what happened on this play. His mouth was wide opened and he launched into his shoulder. He must of hurt his tooth?

Chellini throws an elbow at Suarez after Luis bit him. It looked like Suarez was trying to sell the ref on an elbowing call. Typical theatrics.

I also don't think Liverpool could sell him which is huge.

That does suck. After years of contemplating about finally following a BPL team, I decided to start following Liverpool after Fenway bought them in 2010. I detest Suarez and was hoping they'd move him during this transfer window.

That roster marred only by the unfortunate fact that it's full of Belgians

Hazard, Lukaku and Mertens are up there in talent. Golden generation by far.

That does suck. After years of contemplating about finally following a BPL team, I decided to start following Liverpool after Fenway bought them in 2010. I detest Suarez and was hoping they'd move him during this transfer window.

With the world cup hype, he would have went for Gareth Bale money. This is a huge blow to liverpool.

What would have happened say if Ghana forced a draw or won by one? Did US have the tie breaker. Thank God Portugal got whalloped early!

USA would have been thru on a draw. If Ghana had pulled off a win usa would be out.

Edited by FluffHead

USA would have been thru on a draw. If Ghana had pulled off a win usa would be out.

Not completely correct. USA would advance on "total points" in the draw case (USA has 4, Ghana & Portugal would have 2 each)

Even with the USA losing 1-0, USA still would've advance if Ghana won 1-0 (on "total goals for") or if Ghana won 2-1 (on "head-to-head").

We would've been out if Ghana won by two or more goals, or if Ghana won 3-2, 4-3, etc.

Oh... WOW... I was under the impression that Ghana would have had to win by at least a coupl of goals.

US, GHA, POR are all 1-1-1 right? With GER being 3-0. ESPN is running real slow, gotta check it out.

Not completely correct. USA would advance on "total points" in the draw case (USA has 4, Ghana & Portugal would have 2 each)

Even with the USA losing 1-0, USA still would've advance if Ghana won 1-0 (on "total goals for") or if Ghana won 2-1 (on "head-to-head").

We would've been out if Ghana won by two or more goals, or if Ghana won 3-2, 4-3, etc.

The way it was explained to me was that a 2-1 Ghana win and a 1-0 usa loss would have put Ghana through on goals scored. They also mentioned it on the broadcast, although those announcers were admittedly confused at one point. post-1532-14038103942504_thumb.jpg

That is what I heard... Wasn't sure.

Now who's Group H? The later games today?

Sorry for being NJSue. ;-)

Um, you need to check your facts when you are correcting someone. If we lost 1-0 and Ghana won 2-1 we would have been out on the second tie breaker, goals for. Ghana 5, USA 4. We would have advanced if Ghana won 1-0 on the third tie breaker, total goals scored in games in which tied teams played each other.

http://blog.syracuse...kout_stage.html

and a reputable source:

http://www.washingto...kers-explained/

Edited by Mark80

Oh... WOW... I was under the impression that Ghana would have had to win by at least a coupl of goals.

US, GHA, POR are all 1-1-1 right? With GER being 3-0. ESPN is running real slow, gotta check it out.

US - 1-1-1

GHA - 0-2-1

POR - 1-1-1

GER - 2-0-1

What's the prognosis? I am counting on you to give it to me straight... I know you will! ;-P

On paper one of the best teams in the world IMHO but given what I've seen so far, I wouldn't be surprised if Greece beat USA in the final.