Kaepernick Just Broke the Bank In San Fran

H2o

Wow... So much money for a guy that has a LONG way to go as a pocket passer. This is a huge gamble.

Agreed. A gamble that does not seem neccessary! Don't you think the 49ers could have signed him for less than Aaron Rodgers and Manning? Did they just throw the money at him or did he command it? That blows my mind!!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can correct a bad read. Kaep has tons of talent and has shown a great ability in the last 2 years. San Fran ad to make the deal but Kaep is worth it

Kaep has shown a fairly significant inability to read fields. It can be fixed, but he needs to start showing improvement now. Don't get me wrong, I am a huge Kaep fan. He's got a cannon arm, tremendous mobility and he's got size that most other mobile types don't have. If he can get better at reading fields he will be unstoppable.

dalton is one ive been pointing to as a tough one for awhile now.... it seems there is no second tier for starting QBs - if you are an established starter getting renewed, its 20m or bust.... at some point there has to be a 10-15m tier of qb, no? is it really to the point that its a Yes/No question and not any shades of judging ability? its such a wide gap for the vets from 18-22m down to 5ish or less. anyone in the middle that comes to mind is simply the tail end of an old contract.

Agreed on the 2nd tier QB and the pay grade. I do not think it will happen until one of these QB's is allowed to hit free agency and it corrects the market. The first chance at this happening would be Dalton. Or will Cincy sign him to $20 million per year?

If Kaepernick is worth 21m, what's Luck worth? 25? 30?

Luck is worth more than Kap for sure.

Wow, that's a lot to invest in Kaepernick.

This really puts the 49'ers in a bind. They'll have to make a decision on keeping Crabtree after the season is over and both Vernon Davis & Alex Boone are holding out for new deals.

http://www.bayareasp...extension-2020/

49ers signed QB Colin Kaepernick to a six-year, $126 million contract extension through 2020.

It includes $61 million guaranteed. Bay Area Sports Guy had it first before NFL Network's Ian Rapoport confirmed the money portion. Kaepernick gets $21 million annually in new money and sets the new quarterback record for guaranteed money, surpassing Peyton Manning by $3 million and Aaron Rodgers and Jay Cutler by $7 million.

Yippee NFL. f'n out of control .

is it football any more ?.

short and painful to us old folks , the answer is no. just a business.

If i did not still love my Bills i would not watch another game . and thats getting worrisome for me since Ralph has passed .

The posts about Kaep having done nothing to deserve this money are a riot.

He's shown many flashes of being a guy that can carry a team - but he's also still shown question marks. Would you say that his past two years were worth this pay, or that they are betting he gets better?

Edited by NoSaint

The main thing about this deal is that it shows how selfish Kaep is. The 49ers would obviously rather overpay him to lock down their QB for the foreseeable future than take a risk drafting a replacement, but now they might lose one of their two leading pass catchers or a top flight guard and who knows the future ramifications at this point. Talks stalled before because Kaep didn't like what he was offered. I just don't understand the greed these guys have sometimes.

Edit: I just saw Schefter's tweet that he specifically requested flexibility with the contract to allow for negotiations with Crabtree. So that's alright.

Edited by Big C

The main thing about this deal is that it shows how selfish Kaep is. The 49ers would obviously rather overpay him to lock down their QB for the foreseeable future than take a risk drafting a replacement, but now they might lose one of their two leading pass catchers or a top flight guard and who knows the future ramifications at this point. Talks stalled before because Kaep didn't like what he was offered. I just don't understand the greed these guys have sometimes.

I think I read something wear he has it structured so that the team can sign at least Crabtree and maybe one other guy (Iupati?) for sure. His SB is relatively small (12 mill). I am not sure how they will pay everyone though, especially on that defense.

I think I read something wear he has it structured so that the team can sign at least Crabtree and maybe one other guy (Iupati?) for sure. His SB is relatively small (12 mill). I am not sure how they will pay everyone though, especially on that defense.

Yeah I saw that right after I posted. So maybe I'm off base slightly, but I think if your goal is to win, even as the QB, you take a little hit to make room for a better o-line, defense, etc. Like Brady.