Kaepernick Just Broke the Bank In San Fran

H2o

As I said earlier - there's no second tier - between 5m and 18m is essentially vacant. It's simply a yes/no question on whether you will build around the guy. If you will you are paying 20m.

This could definitely be a way to create that grouping even if the contracts look bigger than they are. A guy like dalton could get 18-19m per with de-escalators and easy outs for the team and be a true tier two contract (unlike the romo deal, which should've looked like this one given his age and injuries)

Agree. Also, Cutler.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.bayareasportsguy.com/source-49ers-colin-kaepernick-contract-extension-2020/

49ers signed QB Colin Kaepernick to a six-year, $126 million contract extension through 2020.

It includes $61 million guaranteed. Bay Area Sports Guy had it first before NFL Network's Ian Rapoport confirmed the money portion. Kaepernick gets $21 million annually in new money and sets the new quarterback record for guaranteed money, surpassing Peyton Manning by $3 million and Aaron Rodgers and Jay Cutler by $7 million.

Way overpaid. He's not even in the same league as those two, and if you limit his running you limit his effectiveness. He was awful for several games last year...

That's a great contract for the 49ers and a pretty good one for Kaepernick now that the details are out. It's also a great precedent for the league if it forces some agents to accept deals like that. Only 4-5 QBs in the league may be able to demand the kind of long term guarantees. If it's a year to year thing that is way better for the league and the teams.

That's a great contract for the 49ers and a pretty good one for Kaepernick now that the details are out. It's also a great precedent for the league if it forces some agents to accept deals like that. Only 4-5 QBs in the league may be able to demand the kind of long term guarantees. If it's a year to year thing that is way better for the league and the teams.

I read today that the 49ers structure all of their contracts that way, and he was just abiding by that? No idea if that is accurate as it was on Twitter.

I read today that the 49ers structure all of their contracts that way, and he was just abiding by that? No idea if that is accurate as it was on Twitter.

It seems they have a lot of contracts like that with good but lesser players, which is basically that each year the contract becomes fully guaranteed on the first day of the NFL year, but that, in reality, isn't any different from other teams deals. if they want to cut a player at any time they just do, and don't owe him anything more, they are just responsible cap wise for the money that has already been paid out.

The difference in the Kaep deal is that he is a QB, and his signing bonus was so relatively small. So they haven't automatically paid him 30-50m, they are only on the books for 13 or so, and then next year 16-17. That's the difference. If they cut him after one year or at any time, their cap isnt affected much, and they didn't pay him a huge bonus that he never lived up to.

Colin Kaepernick contract reaction: What is the QB's ceiling?: http://www.nfl.com/n...he-qbs-ceiling?

On Wednesday, the San Francisco 49ers signed Colin Kaepernick to a six-year, big-money extension. The dual-threat signal-caller has loads of promise and enviable postseason credentials, but he also has just one-and-a-half seasons of starting experience and is coming off a campaign that had its hiccups. Simply put, an upward career trajectory is far from guaranteed at this juncture.

Considering what you've seen so far, what -- realistically -- is Kaepernick's ceiling as a quarterback? What will he achieve going forward?

Colin Kaepernick contract reaction: What is the QB's ceiling?: http://www.nfl.com/n...he-qbs-ceiling?

JMO, I don't ever see Kaepernick being comparable with the elites such as Manning, Brees, Brady, Rodgers, ect. He is not your traditional QB. Can he be very good in his own right? Yes. Can he get a team down the field in the last 2 minutes for a game winning score? Sure. The question is what will he be when he can't outrun those LB's anymore or when he has taken so many hits from defenses that his body starts breaking down? To me, again jmo, I think Cam is a better pure passer and will have a better career in the long run. Kaepernick has also benefitted from inheriting a great team that was already put together. They have also gotten him a few more weapons @ WR on offense. As long as the team in place is together then he will find success. But when the salary cap starts to play into who they can/cannot keep leaving him with possibly less talent around him and a team to carry I don't see him as a guy who can do that like some of the others in this league. Good for him, great contract, but I don't see him making it through the entire deal in San Fran without restructuring for less money at some point.

Edited by H2o

I wonder how many 49ers are represented by Eugene Parker.

I love the idea of contracts that reward a player handsomely provided he continues to prove himself. What a concept.

GO BILLS!!!

I wonder how many 49ers are represented by Eugene Parker.

I love the idea of contracts that reward a player handsomely provided he continues to prove himself. What a concept.

GO BILLS!!!

crabtree!

I cant blame players for wanting more than a series of 1 year club options, and if thats what they are getting wanting a premium for assuming added risk.

Edited by NoSaint

crabtree!

I cant blame players for wanting more than a series of 1 year club options, and if thats what they are getting wanting a premium for assuming added risk.

Agreed. Can't blame the players at all.

Also can't blame management for wanting to minimize the risk.

Seems to me there was a time when every multi-year contract signed was actually a series of one-year contracts. Wonder why the NFL moved away from that structure.

GO BILLS!!!

Agreed. Can't blame the players at all.

Also can't blame management for wanting to minimize the risk.

Seems to me there was a time when every multi-year contract signed was actually a series of one-year contracts. Wonder why the NFL moved away from that structure.

GO BILLS!!!

I'd assume it's just finding evolving equilibriums in the marketplace. It's a way to bid higher without hurting the cap (unless the guy flops). To some degree it could be gms saying "if it works out, great and if it doesn't I'm gone in 2 years anyway so it's someone else's problem."

The contract is for future performance based on thos flashes--not really that "crazy" given what we all have seen. And it's likely the market price for this kid--look what's out there. What do you think another team desperate for a QB would pay to have him right now? Look at Flacco's deal. This is what it costs to lock up the guy you want at QB. It's not a buyers market in the NFL. Kaep has been essetially a freebie for the 49ers so far--he's proven valuable and now they have to actually pay for what they have with him.

Sure Luck will get a ton--but so what? That's how this works. Besides, he's playing for peanuts right now under his rookie contract, so over the course of the two contracts, he will cost far less to the COlts than he would have under the previous CBA.

Dalton and Tannehill have no place in this discussion. They are notable only for their shortcomings and as disappointments thus far. Both are more likely to be replaced in the draft than signed for anything close to what Kaep got.

Dalton has disappointed in the playoffs. He's going to get paid. Kaep and him I think are comparable. It's the going rate if you win with a QB he'll get paid. When Alex Smith get's paid I think he'll be the barometer for Dalton.