WVAU TV Marcel Dareus arrested-edit-again

Two great sayings, "He who is without sin should cast the first stone" and "people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones". I can think of many things I did when I was between 16-24 that would not stand up to the test of media scrutiny as an NFL player, and I think I turned out okay. Not saying what they did is right, but, let's put it on a spectrum and in perspective.

Edited by TXBILLSFAN

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Two great sayings, "He who is without sin should cast the first stone" and "people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones". I can think of many things I did when I was between 16-24 that would not stand up to the test of media scrutiny as an NFL player, and I think I turned out okay. Not saying what they did is right, but, let's put it on a spectrum and in perspective.

It wasn't a stone, it was a car. And it wasn't a glass house, it was a Mongolian Buffet in a strip mall. I am not going to wait until I lose control of a sports car racing in a busy commercial area to call this stupid.

Mike Rodak@mikerodak 9m

On ESPN, @jeffrichadiha writes that Marcell Dareus isn’t a bad guy; he just needs to do some soul searching: http://es.pn/1maHm0d

Rodak tweeted that Hughes admitted to street racing with Dareus, but Joe B. called him out and said that he did not admit to that, just that he admitted he was driving at the same time of the incident.

Joe Buscaglia @JoeBuscaglia · 33m

Everything Hughes said relevant to the matter is right here, if you're interested:

It wasn't a stone, it was a car. And it wasn't a glass house, it was a Mongolian Buffet in a strip mall. I am not going to wait until I lose control of a sports car racing in a busy commercial area to call this stupid.

I never said it wasn't stupid -- it was stupid, it was reckless and it was dangerous. What I'm saying is, JS and a few posters are acting like they never did anything stupid, reckless or dangerous themselves, I'm reacting to the "holier than thou" attitude in JS's article as though what Dareus did is so reprehensible that he should get cut --

I have historically had an interest in cars and racing. When I was younger, I was interested in drag racing, and loved playing games based on the idea of street racing (Tokyo Xtreme Racer anyone?). Want to know what I never did? Raced on the street? Why? Because even my 18 year old ass knew it was dangerous and irresponsible.

Mike Rodak@mikerodak 9m

On ESPN, @jeffrichadiha writes that Marcell Dareus isn’t a bad guy; he just needs to do some soul searching: http://es.pn/1maHm0d

Rodak tweeted that Hughes admitted to street racing with Dareus, but Joe B. called him out and said that he did not admit to that, just that he admitted he was driving at the same time of the incident.

Joe Buscaglia @JoeBuscaglia · 33m

Everything Hughes said relevant to the matter is right here, if you're interested:

This is a classic "Back to the Future Part 3" scenario.

Hughes is Marty McFly, and Dareus is Needles. You wouldn't punish Hughes under such circumstances, would you?

PFT Live: Bills protect their asset by backing Dareus <21:00>

Drama is brewing in Western New York after Bills defensive tackle Marcell Dareus crashed his car drag racing a teammate and then crashing it – all this after a recent drug possession arrest. Mike Florio is joined by Tim Graham from the Buffalo News to discuss the Bills and Doug Marone’s support of Dareus, while also discussing the aggressive move to trade up for Sammy Watkins in this year’s draft.

This is fixable if the 2 Dougs handle it right, they gain the confidence and loyalty of the whole team.

Good point and i concur ( ? ) agree with you .

i too would like some crispy waffles , but prefer sausage gravy please and biscuits.

When and where is this get together ?

I will buy first round of waffles . I am not going to belgium though.

Yeah its called trade his ass. Then call a meeting and let them know no matter how 'talented' you are, you embarrass the team, you !@#$ up repeatedly your ass is gone! What does this say to the 'trouble children' we just traded for, signed and drafted? 'Hey .... the Bills said this is my last shot....pfft!' How can you get in another players ass for discipline issues if you let one guy keep !@#$ing up? You cant.

It is my hope they sent him home and are talking trade with some team.

And please spare me the he is just 24 years old bull ****. WAY past time to wake the !@#$ up and realize you are a Professional! And I don't give a **** anymore about who died in his family. I have lots of friends who grew up with no real family, had horriffic **** happen to them. Hell I have watched at least 15 people in my life die slowly of Cancer, Dad of emphasima, Grandfather just die on us randomly 2 days after a normal surgery and just hours after visiting him in the hospital and seemed perfectly normal. When I was 11 my mentor, my martial arts teacher was ASSASSINATED! You get that? Someone paid money to kill him.

So I say GROW THE !@#$ UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Or get rid of his ass pronto!

Yeah they are, and yes he is. And if Ralph was here and about 10 years younger than he was you bet your ass the front office would be hearing about it!

C'mon. Bruce Smith was caught doing all kinds of mischief and Ralph Wilson gave him plenty more money. Get a grip.

C'mon. Bruce Smith was caught doing all kinds of mischief and Ralph Wilson gave him plenty more money. Get a grip.

That was then. Can't pull that scheet off these days of instant information. Because everyone knows the details ( not the real details , the reported

details ) shame it cant just play itself out naturally. like go to court pay your fine revoke the license get a conditional for back an forth to the facility etc

Now the "team " needs to do whats right and correct .whatever the heck that means on June 4th 2014

Edited by 3rdand12

That was then. Can't pull that scheet off these days of instant information. Because everyone knows the details ( not the real details , the reported

details ) shame it cant just play itself out naturally. like go to court pay your fine revoke the license get a conditional for back an forth to the facility etc

Now the "team " needs to do whats right and correct .whatever the heck that means on June 4th 2014

Actually, these days it's info overload, and most NFL fans will barely remember this incident (if Dareus doesn't get into more trouble) by the start of the season. This is just the current hot topic (and really, only Buffalo cares), and by mid-season there will have been at least 30 more stories with at least as much heat as this one. No one will care, and soon enough it will be ..."Look! Here comes Johnny!"

Anyway, my post was referring to the the notion that this incident is somehow besmirching the memory of Ralph Wilson, which is complete HOGWASH. If you wanna look for something embarrassing to Ralph Wilson, look up at the Bills Wall of Fame, where the ultimate Bills embarrassment's name resides. If RW was okay with having OJ's name on the Wall (I am), then I think his spirit can get over this incident too.

#getagripbillsfans

Edited by HoF Watkins

And Dareus ain't Bruce Smith. Just the physiques of the two men tell a story.

What are we discussing here?

Is it..

"How much can different individual players get away with before they should be cut?"

or

"What actions should be considered too embarrassing to Ralph Wilson, so the player should be cut?"

I think Dareus is okay on both counts here, but I just wanna know which argument I'm addressing.

And your post seems to indicate otherwise. Else, why bother posting it?

No. No it doesn't. Not at all. I bothered posting my observation because its a phenomenon we see EVERY time an athlete or celeb makes headlines and it aptly characterizes quite a few people who frequent this board.

If you somehow read most, or all, or majority, or any attempt whatsoever to quantify supporters vs. detractors in this particular instance then you've missed the broader point.

Edited by Jauronimo