WVAU TV Marcel Dareus arrested-edit-again

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry to hear that.

Thanks. That was a living nightmare. Thankfully, the pain med was still working and it didn't hurt, but I could feel the knife, etc. But, I was paralyzed and it took all of my efforts to finally move something and then I heard "He's awake" and then they put me back out.

Thanks. That was a living nightmare. Thankfully, the pain med was still working and it didn't hurt, but I could feel the knife, etc. But, I was paralyzed and it took all of my efforts to finally move something and then I heard "He's awake" and then they put me back out.

That's my biggest concern, once surgery is completed safely. Haven't had a patient with awareness under general anesthesia yet, knock on wood.

That's my biggest concern, once surgery is completed safely. Haven't had a patient with awareness under general anesthesia yet, knock on wood.

Really? I thought it happened something like 1% of the time, and it's got me scared ****less to have another surgery............I may have to find you if I need one!

Funny (not "ha-ha") that you mentioned being awake. I had knee surgery in the 70s and the farging bastage gave me the paralytic before knocking me out - and the respirator wasn't running well. I couldn't breath, move - not even my eyes. I struggled to get a breath because I had just exhaled. I tried with all my might to move anything and every part of my body... to no avail. I felt like I was drowning because I was powerless and couldn't breath nor communicate with the operating team. I finally gave up and felt like I drowned and died.

I've always suspected I did wake up somewhat in surgery and my pent up desire to move shook my body. That's because that surgery was a failure. What should have been a simple scope of the meniscus became a bigger tear that required a second surgery after the knee got worse and never calmed down.

I distrust anesthesiologists to this day. But today they can give you amnesiacs, so horror stories like these might become fewer, however the experiences could still happen - people just won't remember them and carry them with them throughout their remaining lives.

Wow - your experience is much worse than mine. Ugh!................Isn't that feeling where you are paralyzed and awake the same as that nightmare I think we have all had where we are trying to run, throw a punch, etc. but we can't?

Wow - your experience is much worse than mine. Ugh!................Isn't that feeling where you are paralyzed and awake the same as that nightmare I think we have all had where we are trying to run, throw a punch, etc. but we can't?

Yes, I know what you mean. That's an etherial dream state rumination. Jung - or was it Freud - or maybe it was just somebody named Smith :w00t: - that said, all dreams are based on either a fear or a desire. I think most people fear death and being powerless. Those two feelings are probably (nearly) universal tenets of the human condition. Or, as Dennis Hopper famously said in a series of Nike commercials some time ago... "Bad things man. Bad things!"

Really? I thought it happened something like 1% of the time, and it's got me scared ****less to have another surgery............I may have to find you if I need one!

The incidence is much lower than that (0.1-0.2%) and typically happens more to older, sicker patients and those having emergency surgery.

Funny (not "ha-ha") that you mentioned being awake. I had knee surgery in the 70s and the farging bastage gave me the paralytic before knocking me out - and the respirator wasn't running well. I couldn't breath, move - not even my eyes. I struggled to get a breath because I had just exhaled. I tried with all my might to move anything and every part of my body... to no avail. I felt like I was drowning because I was powerless and couldn't breath nor communicate with the operating team. I finally gave up and felt like I drowned and died.

I've always suspected I did wake up somewhat in surgery and my pent up desire to move shook my body. That's because that surgery was a failure. What should have been a simple scope of the meniscus became a bigger tear that required a second surgery after the knee got worse and never calmed down.

I distrust anesthesiologists to this day. But today they can give you amnesiacs, so horror stories like these might become fewer, however the experiences could still happen - people just won't remember them and carry them with them throughout their remaining lives.

I avoid using muscle relaxant wherever possible and always use a benzodiazepine (Versed/midazolam) at the beginning (when it's more likely to occur) so that if a patient does wake up, he/she doesn't remember it.

Bad things for sure! Haha...............I guess what I was saying was that it was like that dream, but real - did you feel the same?

No. I really felt that I drowned and died, and went unconscious fully expecting to not wake up again. When I did, I was shaken by the experience and pizzed at the anesthesiologist, but I never saw him again. I did say something to my Ortho surgeon about it, but nothing else came of it... just a very, very ugly memory.

But - HEY! Enough about me. How's that Dareus guy doin'?

I am not a legal expert, based on the pre-trial intervention story from earlier this week, knock on wood, it looks like Dareus won't be suspended this year unless it occurs for the traffic misdemeanors and I have a hard time thinking Goodell would do that looking at his suspension history. Regardless of what happens with the charges in AL, he isn't likely to hear from them for 6 months and the NFL will wait until the legal process plays out before deciding on suspension. The league still hasn't suspended Aldon Smith and his DUI came last September. The only suspensions that are quick are those for the failed drug tests for NFL banned substances. It would probably be mid-December at the earliest.

Buffalo Bills@_BuffaloBills_ 4h

Marcell Dareus applies for pre-trial intervention, per report - http://ay.gy/pTa32 #Bills