What Are They Doing with Nickell Robey?!!

Robey gets a would-be sack on a corner blitz in OTAs.

During the team periods of practice defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz had some new wrinkles in his defense. Schwartz unveiled an array of new blitz packages, which by and large caught Buffalo’s passing game by surprise.

“We installed a few more blitzes coming off the edge,” said Nickell Robey, who notched a would-be sack on a corner blitz in practice. “We’ve already got a few blitzes in there so we wanted to put a little heat on them and see how they respond to it and see how we are out there against it with new installations and everything. When he called it up it was good. I liked it.”

There. Everybody feeling better now?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair...there is a reason they drafted Cockrell, in what, the 4th round? He is a big CB and I wouldn't be surprised to see him as the #3 CB by the end of the year. I like Robey, but this team is clearly trying to get bigger and stronger...which is fine by me.

(Didn't they try Ron Brooks at free safety last year or the year before?)

Why in the world would we take Robey off the field.....one of the best corners we had last year and a blitzing demon!

Its OTAs

Everyone likes Robey but the fact is he is still a liability due to his size and shouldn't be anything more then a 4th or 5th corner especially since they prob won't be blitzing their corners as much which is one of his best qualities.

There is more to playing football then having prototypical size

We had a certain corner that we never should have let go that went to the Saints and played for years that should have proved that out

I love Robey. But, he can't play every down. When he did last year it allowed the opposition to get him one on one against a size mismatch. He is great as a situational and/or blitzing CB. He can't be our #3 CB. He can also fill in for injuries quite well more so during a game. When the opposition knows he will be playing a considerable amount, beside situational and blitzing play, that is when he gets in those tough matchups and gets burned.

I love Robey. But, he can't play every down. When he did last year it allowed the opposition to get him one on one against a size mismatch. He is great as a situational and/or blitzing CB. He can't be our #3 CB. He can also fill in for injuries quite well more so during a game. When the opposition knows he will be playing a considerable amount, beside situational and blitzing play, that is when he gets in those tough matchups and gets burned.

Please show these situations where Robey got burned.....ill wait

There were many. As the year went on he was more and more isolated on WR taking him deep or on jump balls in the end zone where he is outmatched. Hey, I like the guy and he provided some great plays last year, but it is not like they could not upgrade at that position.

There were many. As the year went on he was more and more isolated on WR taking him deep or on jump balls in the end zone where he is outmatched. Hey, I like the guy and he provided some great plays last year, but it is not like they could not upgrade at that position.

Robey was never burned. I recall a few situations like in the New Orleans game where Robey provided tight coverage and Brees just made a perfect throw. Robey only loses occasionally due to his size, but I don't recall him ever losing his man.

I don't remember the exact situations. I agree with you regarding liking stats and exacts, unfortunately I don't have them regarding Robey. But, it was late in the year. It was not often. It was 1-3 times a game when he played a lot of downs and the oppositions knew he was going to play a lot of downs when we had 3 CBs in the game due to lack of depth usually when a man was in motion to gain the mismatch.

I don't dislike Robey at all. I like him....but, just for certain situations. Size is not everything, but, when you are 5 to 9 inches shorter than the WR you are one on one with it is very tough for Robey to win the battles.

Blitzing and covering the WR in the slot he is excellent. It is when he is covering the slot WR and they run motion or audible Robey and the Bills are at a disadvantage.

Once again, sorry for not having facts and examples...I would prefer if I did too.

Robey was never burned. I recall a few situations like in the New Orleans game where Robey provided tight coverage and Brees just made a perfect throw. Robey only loses occasionally due to his size, but I don't recall him ever losing his man.

I don't recall him ever losing his man either.

No doubt Robey played well last year - in pass coverage. And while that's the #1 priority, most NFL defensive schemes require the slot guy to be an important factor in supporting the defense against the run - something Robey struggled with, in part because of his size. But he is a quality DB, no doubt.

No he didnt. he tackled very well

I love Robey. But, he can't play every down. When he did last year it allowed the opposition to get him one on one against a size mismatch. He is great as a situational and/or blitzing CB. He can't be our #3 CB. He can also fill in for injuries quite well more so during a game. When the opposition knows he will be playing a considerable amount, beside situational and blitzing play, that is when he gets in those tough matchups and gets burned. No offense brother

Thats what we have coaches for and multiple Corners and Safeties. Mismatches and situational. Now that we have the players and a coach who can make adjustments Robey should rarely be left on some gimungous rec/TE . and when he is matched up well he has very very good chance of winning his battle . If last year is any indication.

You Go Nickle and Dime Nickell !

Edited by 3rdand12

Anybody got that play where Robey leveled that offensive player.....thing of beaty

People are making stuff up about Robey because they are always looking for ways to improve the team......

If it aint broke dont fix it.....what we need are corners that can step in for Gilmore and McKelvin......im hoping Cockrell is that player

Anybody got that play where Robey leveled that offensive player.....thing of beaty

People are making stuff up about Robey because they are always looking for ways to improve the team......

If it aint broke dont fix it.....what we need are corners that can step in for Gilmore and McKelvin......im hoping Cockrell is that player

exactly brother.

exactly

You mean the jump ball AJ Green beat McKelvin on? Or the simple slant route that Roddy White burned Gilmore on about 10 times?

You mean the jump ball AJ Green beat McKelvin on? Or the simple slant route that Roddy White burned Gilmore on about 10 times?

No I think he's talking about the jump balls against TB, NO, and Atlanta that Robey got beat on.

He's a good slot CB; there is merit to the point about boundary plays and jump balls.

I realize Marrone said it. I believe how you're using it is wrong.

Robey vs. Brooks, if they were both rookies, it would be a fair point. Robey was better coached in college, fair. It's no excuse for Brooks to be outplayed by him when he has been in the NFL twice as long.

ROY for the Bills, yeah. UDFA at 5'7" playing only in nickel packages? Those numbers would be good for a later round pick out of the draft. For a limited UDFA, they're incredible. Robey is a sure tackler, he flies around the field, and hits pretty hard. I haven't seen any of that out of Brooks.

I agree he may be limited in who he can cover, but I think he's outperformed Brooks in half the time, hasn't gotten injured twice and beat Brooks out last year. To say the Bills disagree with Robey being better than Brooks is ludicrous. We don't even need a #1 or #2 CB, as McKelvin has arrived and Gilmore has proved more than Brooks. Brooks may hopefully turn out to be a guy who has a better shot of guarding AJ Green than Robey, but at this juncture, I'd take my chances with Robey.

I would take Robey over Brooks 10 out of 10 times. Past performance is the greatest indicator of future performance. Robey is limited, but, excels in what he can do. Brooks has proven over and over again to not be able to compete in this league AND not be able to stay healthy. Add that to he is from previous regime. Robey, 10 out of 10! Hands down!

Thats what we have coaches for and multiple Corners and Safeties. Mismatches and situational. Now that we have the players and a coach who can make adjustments Robey should rarely be left on some gimungous rec/TE . and when he is matched up well he has very very good chance of winning his battle . If last year is any indication.

You Go Nickle and Dime Nickell !

I don't disagree with you. I THINK we are on the same page?

No I think he's talking about the jump balls against TB, NO, and Atlanta that Robey got beat on.

He's a good slot CB; there is merit to the point about boundary plays and jump balls.

Robey isn't a shut-down corner. No one is expecting him to be. Mismatching against Tony G. isn't an issue that only happens to Robey. CB's can't cover every pass ever. Even the best ones. Robey is a versatile and athletic 3rd CB. I can't see us upgrading that position.

Edited by FireChan

OK but lets be realistic here......

Robey's main assignments are going to be those quick little scatter bugs going across the middle of the field........the big long lengthy guys are outside recievers and will usually be covered by our 6' plus 200 pound plus corners

Then when you factor in the bltiz factor for Robey.......you take too much good off the field