What Are They Doing with Nickell Robey?!!

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Robey's competitiveness and his spirit on the field. However, you can't simply ignore his physical limitations when putting him on the field. Against small, quick receivers, I wouldn't have a problem putting Robey and all of his 5-8 165 pound body out there. Against 6-1 to 6-2 slot receivers, I'm going to favor a bigger physical guy like Brooks all day. He outweighs Robey by 30+ pounds and when you look at his height and reach advantage, can cover about 2 feet more space in each direction. In terms of Graham, we just need to be realistic as fans. You don't give a guy a 4-year $16 million deal with $8.1 million guaranteed contract so that you can "see what happens" in competition. Besides, Marrone already has stated that they're going to see what he can do at Free Safety. I would expect a mix of Robey, Brooks and perhaps Rogers to be out there, but only on nickel and dime packages, and certainly only when the matchups make sense.

I like Robey's competitiveness and his spirit on the field. However, you can't simply ignore his physical limitations when putting him on the field. Against small, quick receivers, I wouldn't have a problem putting Robey and all of his 5-8 165 pound body out there. Against 6-1 to 6-2 slot receivers, I'm going to favor a bigger physical guy like Brooks all day. He outweighs Robey by 30+ pounds and when you look at his height and reach advantage, can cover about 2 feet more space in each direction. In terms of Graham, we just need to be realistic as fans. You don't give a guy a 4-year $16 million deal with $8.1 million guaranteed contract so that you can "see what happens" in competition. Besides, Marrone already has stated that they're going to see what he can do at Free Safety. I would expect a mix of Robey, Brooks and perhaps Rogers to be out there, but only on nickel and dime packages, and certainly only when the matchups make sense.

Agreed about Graham, but the only problem with your Brooks logic is that he's bad at football and Robey isn't.

Robey was one of the best slot corners in the NFL last year by any definition. Likely they are seeing what others can do,Robey literally takes the slot receiver out of the passing game

Agreed about Graham, but the only problem with your Brooks logic is that he's bad at football and Robey isn't.

The Bills disagree with you, otherwise he wouldn't be playing NFL football and certainly wouldn't be getting looks ahead of Robey in Nickel and Dime packages in the 9 on 9 drills. At the end of the day, Robey was better coached in college (Marrone said this himself), and Brooks has dealt with injuries in both of his first two seasons. When all is said and done, Brooks has the speed (4.35), agility (7.16 cone) and size to be a #2 CB in the NFL. Robey will never be anything more than a situational defender. There is no upside beyond what we've seen from him.

The Bills disagree with you, otherwise he wouldn't be playing NFL football and certainly wouldn't be getting looks ahead of Robey in Nickel and Dime packages in the 9 on 9 drills. At the end of the day, Robey was better coached in college (Marrone said this himself), and Brooks has dealt with injuries in both of his first two seasons. When all is said and done, Brooks has the speed (4.35), agility (7.16 cone) and size to be a #2 CB in the NFL. Robey will never be anything more than a situational defender. There is no upside beyond what we've seen from him.

your crazy. Robey is a stud. That was shown last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7uqldAgkz4

This is not a man without a place on the team.

thank you. Helps some better realize just how awesome he was last year.

And that video doesn't even show one of his best plays - the forced fumble and recovery against the Jags. It's the first video clip in the right hand column here:

http://www.nfl.com/player/nickellrobey/2540197/profile

Yep. Early in the season he missed two opportunities for a pick six. He didn't miss the third.

God, he had such a monster game in week 16. The Dolphins were still in playoff contention, and he made it look like they didn't even care to be there.

The Bills don't necessarily disagree. Brooks' is getting looks because if he doesn't prove he belongs, he's gone. It's that simple. Robey wouldn't have started last year if Brooks' was better. You're honestly saying an UDFA rookie CB had an advantage in COACHING than a two year vet? So like, those years of NFL coaching weren't as good as USC coaching? Really?

Who cares about Brooks' cone drill? Robey played big time last year, despite his "lacking" tangibles.The kid has great instincts, he sniffed out a ton of plays last year, and got beat by a couple superstar WR's and a HoF TE. Ron Brooks isn't stopping Tony Gonzales either. Take Kiko out of the equation, and Robey would have been our overall ROY, or at least a contender. Robey had a few mistakes, but it almost looked like 90% of his tackles were on 3rd down behind the line. Brooks may one day perhaps maybe possibly look like a #2. But Robey already showed what he can do.

Edited by FireChan

I bet they did this just to mess with TBD, those crafty Doug's just knew this would drive everyone crazy.

Also, after watching that video I'm convinced that Roby is our BEST defensive player! :D

One thing we can all agree on, it's always nice to see us beating the Dolphins, even in footage from last year...

Yep. Early in the season he missed two opportunities for a pick six. He didn't miss the third.

God, he had such a monster game in week 16. The Dolphins were still in playoff contention, and he made it look like they didn't even care to be there.

I just re-watched that game Wednesday. I've heard a lot of people talk about great players taking a team "on their back" and carrying them. Yes, many other players had good games too, but Robey was on fire. I don't remember ever seeing another nickel cornerback making that kind of (positive) impact on a game.

I just re-watched that game Wednesday. I've heard a lot of people talk about great players taking a team "on their back" and carrying them. Yes, many other players had good games too, but Robey was on fire. I don't remember ever seeing another nickel cornerback making that kind of (positive) impact on a game.

But there were times when it was CLEAR he was blitzing and the Dolphins just pooped themselves. As amazing as he was that day (I was there and he alone made the rain/cold tolerable), the Dolphins were almost as bad.

But there were times when it was CLEAR he was blitzing and the Dolphins just pooped themselves. As amazing as he was that day (I was there and he alone made the rain/cold tolerable), the Dolphins were almost as bad.

Of course you're right on the sacks. Really the Dolphins looked every bit as bad as I'm saying he looked good. Still he took the right speed/angle and closed the deal every time. If it was 2 plays, I'd discount it, but he had something like 6-7 big impact plays.

If Robey wasn't hand-picked by Marrone and Henderson, I would worry more. When they interviewed Robey a couple months ago on WGR he talked about how hard he was recruited by Henderson during the draft so he would sign as a UDFA and Marrone indicated he watched him at USC when they played Cuse and that put him on his radar. Since both coaches are still here, coupled with his in-game perfomance last year I think he has a very good chance to be on the field on Sundays.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Some choose to ignore the tea leaves. I dont. Just another dark cloud on the horizon of the Jim Schwartz defense. I can hear it now. 5 games into the regular season when we dont have a single sack and are again getting gouged for five hundred yards on a regular basis. 'These same defenses worked when I was a coordinator in 2001 so they should work now.' 'We just need to do a better job of winning one on one battles.' Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah. Nothing Ive seen or heard so far makes me think that this guy is nothing more than Dave Wannstadt Jr. Hope im wrong.

Brooks sucks. Wake up.

Some choose to ignore the tea leaves. I dont. Just another dark cloud on the horizon of the Jim Schwartz defense. I can hear it now. 5 games into the regular season when we dont have a single sack and are again getting gouged for five hundred yards on a regular basis. 'These same defenses worked when I was a coordinator in 2001 so they should work now.' 'We just need to do a better job of winning one on one battles.' Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah. Nothing Ive seen or heard so far makes me think that this guy is nothing more than Dave Wannstadt Jr. Hope im wrong.

Brooks sucks. Wake up.

47896852.jpg