What Are They Doing with Nickell Robey?!!

Remember this thread when they change the Oline line-up just to see what they have and people freak out about "Player X losing his starting spot to Player Y" and what that means. Happens every training camp.

It just means they want to see what they have and that is what PRACTICE is for.

Edited by DrDareustein

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To your point, I don't know if they have even established a pecking order yet and as you stated they are trying to give guys like Brooks and Cockrell a chance to show something, so they can establish that by the time TC rolls around. I know Joe B. seemed to feel Robey has gotten thrown to the side and he reiterated that this morning on WGR, but I simply thing it is way too early to glean that from the first 2 days of OTAs. They have to throw Cockrell in there to see how he looks and they are likely considering moving on from Brooks but want to give him some looks to decide whether that makes sense.

I hope you're right.

I do think these OTA rotations say something, though. Maybe not that they have a firm pecking order, but at least that they have some doubts about Robey. At other positions, they are not putting the youngsters and newcomers in ahead of firmly established players to see how they look. I would have thought Robey was a little more established as the nickel slot (at least over Brooks and newbie Cockrell - though I can see giving Graham a long look since he has established himself in the league).

Edited by Last Guy on the Bench

I hope you're right.

I do think these OTA rotations say something, though. Maybe not they have a firm pecking order, but at least that they have some doubts about Robey. At other positions, they are not putting the youngsters and newcomers in ahead of firmly established players to see how they look. I would have thought Robey was a little more established as the nickel slot (at least over Brooks and newbie Cockrell - though I can see given Graham a long look since he has established himself in the league).

Fair enough - slot corner and starting SS are going to be really interesting battles

EDIT: But I do think we will see various subpackages in which slot corner will be manned based on matchup due to Robey's size disadvantage against certain WRs and TEs.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Remember this thread when they change the Oline line-up just to see what they have and people freak out about "Player X losing his starting spot to Player Y" and what that means. Happens every training camp.

I think there is a difference between alternating guys in a level above their current spot (e.g., giving second stringers some snaps with the first unit, while still giving the starters some snaps) and seeing Robey get less time on the field than two new guys and a guy that has played nowhere near as well as Robey did.

I definitely agree that this is not a final snapshot of the September depth chart, but it does say something to me. I will not be one of the people freaking out in August if Preston Brown takes some snaps in place of Spikes or if Henderson gives Cordy Glenn a blow with the starters. These seems different to me. But I guess we'll see.

Edited by Last Guy on the Bench

Last year's defense was both exciting and maddening; watching teams run the ball almost at will took away much of my joy at the sacks and INTs. I certainly hope Schwartz is concentrating on a more well rounded defense.

To the premise of the thread -- I don't think one can or should make any assumptions about "pecking order" during the first OTAs of the summer.

I think there is a difference between alternating guys in a level above their current spot (e.g., giving second stringers some snaps with the first unit, while still giving the starters some snaps) and seeing Robey get less time on the field than two new guys and a guy that has played nowhere near as well as Robey did.

Whats the difference? Especially when we are talking about May OTAs...

Edited by DrDareustein

That was Gailey. Marrone would never mess with his o-line like that.

Whats the difference? Especially when we are talking about May OTAs...

The difference is you would still see e.g., Glenn and Spikes taking snaps with the first team, and you would definitely not see them taking snaps with the 4th team.

Again, I don't think this is a huge deal or a definitive statement by the coaches in anyway. But I don't think it is completely meaningless either. It does say something about how they currently view Robey. Practice rotations are no the endgame, but they do have meaning. And this particular move surprises me. That's all.

I call BS on your complete reversal of the thread's premise (no offense). The premise of this thread isn't that we shouldn't put the best 11 on the field. Quite the opposite. I just don't get how Robey has fallen in the pecking order (if he has) BEFORE his competition (Brooks, Graham, Cockrell) has had a chance to show anything. It's a weird move to me. But of course, if there are other people that turn out to be better than Robey, they should play.

Dont u guys realize it was DAY 2 of OTA's?????

CHILL!!! Maybe they are just trying to see what they in Brooks, Cockrell and others cuz they saw alot of Robey last yr. Best time to give bubble guys field time is early, to weed out the WORST ones...

Good football players play good football. Disirrgardless of their scheme or coaching. Chris Kelsey was this type of player.

Great football players play great football in every scheme and develop their current talents to excel beyond other less capable players. Dwight Freeney is an example of this.

Elite football players are so gifted in their athleticism and capabilities that it transcends any capability, size, strength or experience of another player. Kyle Williams is a player like this.

We do not know how good Robey will be in the NFL and how good he would be in a different role but based on 2013 I would give him the elite title because for many plays he was the best player on the field.

The biggest point to make is that an elite football player may not be your best player or may not have what it takes to play with the 1's and be your starter. But that elite player is going to take EVERY opportunity to make the plays that matter. Making big time plays under pressure is always nice too.

FWIW. Mario Williams often does not play elite. His Miami game was, though.

I have to imagine it's because they know what they have in Robey. Anyone who watched Bills games last year knows Robey is a tiny beast out there. His size works against him sometimes, but he's got a clear role on our team.