What Are They Doing with Nickell Robey?!!

The Bills don't necessarily disagree. Brooks' is getting looks because if he doesn't prove he belongs, he's gone. It's that simple. Robey wouldn't have started last year if Brooks' was better. You're honestly saying an UDFA rookie CB had an advantage in COACHING than a two year vet? So like, those years of NFL coaching weren't as good as USC coaching? Really?

Who cares about Brooks' cone drill? Robey played big time last year, despite his "lacking" tangibles.The kid has great instincts, he sniffed out a ton of plays last year, and got beat by a couple superstar WR's and a HoF TE. Ron Brooks isn't stopping Tony Gonzales either. Take Kiko out of the equation, and Robey would have been our overall ROY, or at least a contender. Robey had a few mistakes, but it almost looked like 90% of his tackles were on 3rd down behind the line. Brooks may one day perhaps maybe possibly look like a #2. But Robey already showed what he can do.

I didn't say this. I reiterated what DOUG MARRONE said. Is it clearer in ALL CAPS? LOL. Guess he must be wrong. I never disagreed that Robey has made plays or looked good at times when he was in the right situation. ROY though? Really? The kid had 3 sacks, 1 int, 21 solo tackles and 9 assists and 2 whole starts for the season. Due to very simple physical limitations, this kid will never translate to an every down CB. For the same reason, I don't believe we will see him in every nickel and dime package. We'll see what happens in September, but that's all I'm really saying here.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been wondering why Robey seems to be rotating in so late, according to OTA reports. Joe B. is wondering the same thing:

http://www.wgr550.co...4669?pid=405020

I confess that one of my biggest worries about the team is that Schwartz will reconstruct the defense according to his preconceived ideas. Couldn't really blame him, but it will still suck. Last years defense was dangerous and fun to watch for the first time in a decade, and I loved every minute of it. And Robey really stood out. He's a playmaker. In one year, as a UDFA, he cracked my top three or four current favorite Bills to watch.

I hope they are not going to limit his playing time because of size or scheme fit. If he doesn't fit the scheme, adjust your bloody scheme. There is no universe in which Ron Brooks deserves to be playing ahead of Robey. The same likely holds for Graham and Cockrell, but we'll have to see about that.

Free, Nickell!

Wandstatt 2.0

The Bills disagree with you, otherwise he wouldn't be playing NFL football and certainly wouldn't be getting looks ahead of Robey in Nickel and Dime packages in the 9 on 9 drills. At the end of the day, Robey was better coached in college (Marrone said this himself), and Brooks has dealt with injuries in both of his first two seasons. When all is said and done, Brooks has the speed (4.35), agility (7.16 cone) and size to be a #2 CB in the NFL. Robey will never be anything more than a situational defender. There is no upside beyond what we've seen from him.

I didn't say this. I reiterated what DOUG MARRONE said. Is it clearer in ALL CAPS? LOL. Guess he must be wrong. I never disagreed that Robey has made plays or looked good at times when he was in the right situation. ROY though? Really? The kid had 3 sacks, 1 int, 21 solo tackles and 9 assists and 2 whole starts for the season. Due to very simple physical limitations, this kid will never translate to an every down CB. For the same reason, I don't believe we will see him in every nickel and dime package. We'll see what happens in September, but that's all I'm really saying here.

I realize Marrone said it. I believe how you're using it is wrong.

Robey vs. Brooks, if they were both rookies, it would be a fair point. Robey was better coached in college, fair. It's no excuse for Brooks to be outplayed by him when he has been in the NFL twice as long.

ROY for the Bills, yeah. UDFA at 5'7" playing only in nickel packages? Those numbers would be good for a later round pick out of the draft. For a limited UDFA, they're incredible. Robey is a sure tackler, he flies around the field, and hits pretty hard. I haven't seen any of that out of Brooks.

I agree he may be limited in who he can cover, but I think he's outperformed Brooks in half the time, hasn't gotten injured twice and beat Brooks out last year. To say the Bills disagree with Robey being better than Brooks is ludicrous. We don't even need a #1 or #2 CB, as McKelvin has arrived and Gilmore has proved more than Brooks. Brooks may hopefully turn out to be a guy who has a better shot of guarding AJ Green than Robey, but at this juncture, I'd take my chances with Robey.

Edited by FireChan

Schwartz = Wanny because he is trying to get a look at guys he doesn't have film on?

Did everyone on TBD hit their head today? Holy cow, Roby isn't "starting" in OTAs, therefore Schwatrz's D is going to suck and the guy is Wanny 2.0... o_O

FWIW I listen to a ton of Sirius NFL (and watch a lot of NFLN) and most of the former players and coaches that are commentators are praising the JS move. Heck, Bilichick has praised the guy up and down - pretty sure he has more football knowledge that TBD...

Did everyone on TBD hit their head today? Holy cow, Roby isn't "starting" in OTAs, therefore Schwatrz's D is going to suck and the guy is Wanny 2.0... o_O

FWIW I listen to a ton of Sirius NFL (and watch a lot of NFLN) and most of the former players and coaches that are commentators are praising the JS move. Heck, Bilichick has praised the guy up and down - pretty sure he has more football knowledge that TBD...

I think we're all still scarred from the Wanny debacle. Make no mistake, that clown set us back five years. I'm struggling to recall whether he got the same level of public praise you mention here.

I think we're all still scarred from the Wanny debacle. Make no mistake, that clown set us back five years. I'm struggling to recall whether he got the same level of public praise you mention here.

Wanny got some praise, mostly from TBD rather than the media at large, from what I recall.

Regardless, seems crazy to predict doooooom when we have no clue what our final D alignment will look like and how Schwartz's unit will perform.

It's like people are crying over spilled milk, but in reality we haven't even opened the carton yet! :D

Last Guy. Where are you in South Africa? I'm headed there at the end of June and have a free day in Joburg. Any tips on things to do?

I'm in Cape Town, Van. Been here three years, but sadly, except for a quick business trip, I haven't spent any time in Joburg, so no inside info for you, unfortunately. But it's a really interesting country. Enjoy your trip!

Shirley you can't be serious. I use that all the time and do many dumb things like that unpurpose

Shirley , its on porpoise :nana:

and why some of us love ya man. regardless of the flowerynesses ( see : lavender )

Schwartz = Wanny because he is trying to get a look at guys he doesn't have film on?

Schwartz > Wanny because he is trying to get a look at guys he doesn't have film on . :thumbsup:

Yep. And over stoked by Pettine's most excellent performance which was more Bills fun than i have had in eons .

Let the Scwhartz find the balance between run and pass defensed . And stop those big runs !! i will always loathe Blount . I did not even know who he was before that game

Dont forget we still have that master Donnie Henderson coaching these young men up

damnable Wannstache ruined it for alot of us. Imagine how Gailey feels. Finished him as a coach

Edited by 3rdand12

To be fair...there is a reason they drafted Cockrell, in what, the 4th round? He is a big CB and I wouldn't be surprised to see him as the #3 CB by the end of the year. I like Robey, but this team is clearly trying to get bigger and stronger...which is fine by me.

(Didn't they try Ron Brooks at free safety last year or the year before?)

To be fair...there is a reason they drafted Cockrell, in what, the 4th round? He is a big CB and I wouldn't be surprised to see him as the #3 CB by the end of the year. I like Robey, but this team is clearly trying to get bigger and stronger...which is fine by me.

(Didn't they try Ron Brooks at free safety last year or the year before?)

Lets not think as Robey as a starter. Maybe we could consider him an elite situational player. And Jim S better make good use of him . seriously. talented kid. and dont tell him he cant. He has already proven the majority of them/us wrong i bet !!

Its OTAs

Everyone likes Robey but the fact is he is still a liability due to his size and shouldn't be anything more then a 4th or 5th corner especially since they prob won't be blitzing their corners as much which is one of his best qualities.

Its OTAs

Everyone likes Robey but the fact is he is still a liability due to his size and shouldn't be anything more then a 4th or 5th corner especially since they prob won't be blitzing their corners as much which is one of his best qualities.

Apparently the fact he completely took the slot receiver out of the game has no bearing on anything? Much better to have a 6'1" guy who gets smoked every other play right?

Its OTAs

I don't get this thinking. Robey was the best slot corner we've had in years. I think he played better than McKelvin most games last year. If he can keep playing at or above the level he ended last year, I absolutely want him on the field. Edited by Matt in KC

The Bills disagree with you, otherwise he wouldn't be playing NFL football and certainly wouldn't be getting looks ahead of Robey in Nickel and Dime packages in the 9 on 9 drills. At the end of the day, Robey was better coached in college (Marrone said this himself), and Brooks has dealt with injuries in both of his first two seasons. When all is said and done, Brooks has the speed (4.35), agility (7.16 cone) and size to be a #2 CB in the NFL. Robey will never be anything more than a situational defender. There is no upside beyond what we've seen from him.

I don't think that's true. Brooks has been injured a lot. They are looking at what he can do for them. Brown and Dixon were reported to have gotten most of the RB reps in the first couple days of OTA's. You think either one of them are playing ahead of CJ and Fred if healthy? Robey won't go anywhere. He's a playmaker. They won't be able to keep him off the field. Unless Brooks starts making plays consistently too. So far we haven't seen evidence of that. Robey is doing now what he did at SC. Just today he had a pick in OTA's. Same as he was doing last year in OTA's and training camp. There is always a place on the field for a player who takes the ball away.

Apparently the fact he completely took the slot receiver out of the game has no bearing on anything? Much better to have a 6'1" guy who gets smoked every other play right?

Yep. And we need a 6'5 receiver even if he can't play. Forget Steve Smith or Torrey Smith or Watkins. We need 6'5 Calvin Johnson dudes who can't play anywhere close to Calvin Johnson's level. But he'll be tall though.

Edited by purple haze