Speculation on Larry Page, CEO of Google as potential bidder

The Bills moving prior to 2020 under any ownership is extremely unlikely. There is a 99.1% chance the Bills are in Buffalo until 2020 Lets just stop arguing about that at all and move on.

The real concern about the new owner is are they willing to keep the Bills in Buffalo after 2020.

I think with Larry Page the odds of the Bills staying in Buffalo after 2020 are lower than someone like Golisano.

Edited by Why So Serious?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This guy would move the team anywhere he wanted and not think twice about it. It would be a commodity to him and he won't care about us. This guy probably has enough cash in his checking account to buy the team, pay the relocation fee, and build a new stadium in a big city all by himself. There is no expansion and the NFL is the hottest thing going so if you want a franchise then the Bills might be the cheapest way to do it for a long time. Moving the team to LA, Toronto, or London would double it's value. You guys are dreaming if you think someone with no ties to the area will end up keeping the team here. Hate to say it but our best bet is Golisano

Also, he is trying to take over NFL Ticket, from what I read. So - free Ticket for Bills fans?

would be an odd combo, buy season tickets and get NFL Ticket. Being out of town, I'd love it. Could by tickets, use a few, sell/gift the rest, and have NFL Ticket. Like your thinking!

This guy would move the team anywhere he wanted and not think twice about it. It would be a commodity to him and he won't care about us. This guy probably has enough cash in his checking account to buy the team, pay the relocation fee, and build a new stadium in a big city all by himself. There is no expansion and the NFL is the hottest thing going so if you want a franchise then the Bills might be the cheapest way to do it for a long time. Moving the team to LA, Toronto, or London would double it's value. You guys are dreaming if you think someone with no ties to the area will end up keeping the team here. Hate to say it but our best bet is Golisano

Just asking here - why do you think he'd be sold the team if he presents no long-term guarantee to the trust?

Even in this negative hypothetical, Page would still need 24 of 32 owners to approve any move. Which is no guarantee. He can't just pick up and do anything on his own.

But I don't get why some on the board feel him not being from WNY would be an indicator that he would possibly want to move the team. Mr. Wilson wasn't from WNY and he refused to move.

Exactly. The fact he is worth 30 Billion cuts both ways. On the one hand, he has enough money to do whatever he wants and could pay a relocation fee. But "traditional teams" like Green Bay, Chicago, Pittsburgh, etc. may vote against relocation.

On the other hand, he has so much money that this may be a "toy" for him. He may want to make the Bills, in Buffalo, into a winner as kind of another "start-up" project. He could say, "I took us from missing the playoffs for 15 years to winning the Super Bowl in our brand new retractable roof stadium near the falls. And the stadium is the most state of the art in the NFL, and people travel to see it and the falls, so take that Jerry Jones. Oh, and the Super Bowl is here in a year." Boom, an owner with a ton of money could be very good for the Bills and Buffalo.

Even in this negative hypothetical, Page would still need 24 of 32 owners to approve any move. Which is no guarantee. He can't just pick up and do anything on his own.

But I don't get why some on the board feel him not being from WNY would be an indicator that he would possibly want to move the team. Mr. Wilson wasn't from WNY and he refused to move.

He needs to clear another hurdle before it even gets to the league owners: three out of the four voters of the trust have to approve the sale first.

GO BILLS!!!

All Bills players helmets will be equipped with Google Glass visors that tell players what they need to know: pass trajectories, open receivers, who has the ball on fakes, etc. I like it.

On a side note: anyone who thinks the Bills will be sold at their valuation price of $850MM is in for shock.

Look at Clippers...supposedly a bid of 1.8 billion has been placed...

Look at Clippers...supposedly a bid of 1.8 billion has been placed...

Awesome dream: What if he buys the Clippers and the Bills and moves the Clippers back here?

Terrible nightmare: What if he buys the Clippers and the Bills and moves the Bills to LA?

I'm for it, if it means the Ralph will finally be rendered in 3D on Google Maps.

YES. Edited by sodbuster

Or better yet keeps the team here and decides he likes the area. Realizes the educational institutions in the area and the cost of living then decides to build/open a few east coast offices to the google empire and brings 5-10k technical jobs to the area.

It could happen.

Awesome dream: What if he buys the Clippers and the Bills and moves the Clippers back here?

Terrible nightmare: What if he buys the Clippers and the Bills and moves the Bills to LA?

YES.

OMG

Or better yet keeps the team here and decides he likes the area. Realizes the educational institutions in the area and the cost of living then decides to build/open a few east coast offices to the google empire and brings 5-10k technical jobs to the area.

It could happen.

OMG II

It could happen.

NBA team>strong economy

The Bills moving prior to 2020 under any ownership is extremely unlikely. There is a 99.1% chance the Bills are in Buffalo until 2020 Lets just stop arguing about that at all and move on.

The real concern about the new owner is are they willing to keep the Bills in Buffalo after 2020.

I think with Larry Page the odds of the Bills staying in Buffalo after 2020 are lower than someone like Golisano.

I don't know why. Golisano is a Florida guy now, a businessman with a fraction of the wealth of Larry Page, one who would be highly tempted to cash out should he run into financial trouble. In addition to being much wealthier and a giant in a far more creative realm than Golisano, Page is also much younger, something that bothers me about Golisano, Pegula, Trump and Jacobs.

But don't fret about Page; no way he's interested in the Bills.

I'm originally from Buffalo, moved to Silicon Valley, made some money, now live in SoCal. I would love to own the team, but I'm about $997 million short. My group would build a stadium in Irvine and have them play half their games here and half in Buffalo. 4 games at each site... the Buffalo Bills of Anaheim or something. Playing early season games in Buffalo, and when it gets cold, they could play here in Irvine. Great Idea? or the greatest idea?

Edited by pi2000

Just asking here - why do you think he'd be sold the team if he presents no long-term guarantee to the trust?

I would like to think the trust will have our best interests in mind but in the end it's just business. If a billionaire swoops in and offers over $1 billion and say Golisano only offers $900 mil then I doubt they will care what the new owner plans to do with the team once the lease is up. If a guy like this with almost unlimited funds wants to buy the team then he will outbid everyone and then move the team to greener pastures where it will be worth more. It's all about the bottom line. For Sal and some on here to be hoping this guy buys the team I say you are nuts. We should be hoping someone like Golisano or someone with local ties buys it, someone who will do whatever it takes to keep the team here forever

I would like to think the trust will have our best interests in mind but in the end it's just business. If a billionaire swoops in and offers over $1 billion and say Golisano only offers $900 mil then I doubt they will care what the new owner plans to do with the team once the lease is up. If a guy like this with almost unlimited funds wants to buy the team then he will outbid everyone and then move the team to greener pastures where it will be worth more. It's all about the bottom line. For Sal and some on here to be hoping this guy buys the team I say you are nuts. We should be hoping someone like Golisano or someone with local ties buys it, someone who will do whatever it takes to keep the team here forever

I agree that it certainly doesn't "sound" safe like Golisano, but Sal insinuates he knows or has heard something that in his mind does make it safe. Interesting stuff.