If the Bills brass thinks it's ready wo win now...why not franchis

Estro

It's a question I've had for a while, but even more so now that the dust of this offseason is starting to settle. If the Bills brass thinks they're ready to win now, which they've repeatedly said they are, than why let Byrd walk. Why not retain his rights for 1 more year for $8.29 million? It just doesn't make sense given the attitude that this is a year we can push for the playoffs. I don't happen to agree with that sentiment, but if the Bills brass does......they should've 100% tagged Byrd. There's a huge void at safety right now, IMO.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They could tag him just like last year. And just like last year he could hold out until the last possible minute. Then he would probably get some sand in his va-Jay-Jay and be out hurt again for a few more games. In actuality, we'd be worse off than if we just went with one of the young kids at FS and let them learn to play the position from the start of camp all the way forward.

They could tag him just like last year. And just like last year he could hold out until the last possible minute. Then he would probably get some sand in his va-Jay-Jay and be out hurt again for a few more games. In actuality, we'd be worse off than if we just went with one of the young kids at FS and let them learn to play the position from the start of camp all the way forward.

This.

I was bummed about Byrd but the FO has shown that they have a pretty clear vision for how to build a winner. They could be wrong but at least they have a plan unlike the regimes before them.

And this.

Not to mention that the FO did sign A Williams to a contract extension.

He would have been a cancer in the locker room, and would have missed at least half the year until he had to get on the field for his pension.

It's not worth it. Graham will probably play just fine as he is a larger corner and has been known to play well against the run in addition to the pass. We drafted two safeties last year, and another CB this year so I'm not worried about our secondary. If you remember, the first few games when he was not on the field, our secondary played fine against some good teams.

The position I'm curious about is the DE. Can Lawson and Hughes really do well this year in a 4-3 defense. They just seem too small. I know we signed that back up from the Cowboys so can he fit the bill?

It's a question I've had for a while, but even more so now that the dust of this offseason is starting to settle. If the Bills brass thinks they're ready to win now, which they've repeatedly said they are, than why let Byrd walk. Why not retain his rights for 1 more year for $8.29 million? It just doesn't make sense given the attitude that this is a year we can push for the playoffs. I don't happen to agree with that sentiment, but if the Bills brass does......they should've 100% tagged Byrd. There's a huge void at safety right now, IMO.

Ready to win now is perhaps a bit misleading. Think 1988 Bills.....rather than 1990 Bills. Winning season, playoffs, 1st in division doesn't mean the team is ready yet to make the SB.

Tagging Byrd just to keep him for this season would be counter productive to the perceived improvement of the team. We have several young players who when their rookie contracts expire are likely to command large contracts......and several more young players who hopefully will be in similar situations.

The new rollover cap rules mean that the extra money we would have paid Byrd for his one year tag year would reduce our cap room in following years. We could use the monies to help sign the team of the future rather than a player who isn't going to be a part of that future.

If you ever noticed, his interceptions came in bunches in games that were well under control. Did any team or WR ever fear playing against Byrd? He held out because his feetsie hurt even though he had a full off season to get better and he stayed out until Aaron Williams came back. (why not be sure he looked good). He said that he could have played earlier but asked " ... how would that help me make my case?" Notice that Spiller is using him as a model, when thinking about his new contract- do we need a poison on the team? We had a better record without him then with him. Does it make sense for the second highest salary to be for a safety? ............just for starters.

Edited by maryland-bills-fan

Simple. They made him a good offer. He didn't want to be here. He would have been a distraction again if he was franchised. Time to move on.

Simple. They made him a good offer. He didn't want to be here. He would have been a distraction again if he was franchised. Time to move on.

revisionist history is fun. What is the good offer they made him? I would like the number that OBD themselves gave in print. Yea, I know it doesn't exist. Not it print, there are homers on boards that "guess" what the offer is.past that nothing.

A distraction again? really? he made the friggin pro bowl and was highly regarded from Brandon down to A. Williams. Please just stop. Cannot wait to read the same krap when CJ walks, Then Dareus, Then Glenn, and of course fan favorite KIKO. Of course a nice housecleaning of the FO will stop the bleeding.I for one cannot wait. Yea, I talking to you Littman.

He just wasn't that important to the overall plan.

I had another thought too, maybe they agreed not to retag to get him on the field last year as I believe he could have stayed out a few more weeks than he did. Maybe his camp threatened even greater sensivity to the phantom foot ailment.

Yet another reason to hope the Bills make the playoffs this year...no more woulda coulda shoulda Byrd threads.

Unless they win the Super Bowl you'll see someone imagine how much further they'd have gone if only....

First of all I hated loosing Byrd as well however we weren't beating the Pats* with him either, secondly the Win Now statement is a media/fan thing, havent really heard anything that strong from the organisation.

revisionist history is fun. What is the good offer they made him? I would like the number that OBD themselves gave in print. Yea, I know it doesn't exist. Not it print, there are homers on boards that "guess" what the offer is.past that nothing.

A distraction again? really? he made the friggin pro bowl and was highly regarded from Brandon down to A. Williams. Please just stop. Cannot wait to read the same krap when CJ walks, Then Dareus, Then Glenn, and of course fan favorite KIKO. Of course a nice housecleaning of the FO will stop the bleeding.I for one cannot wait. Yea, I talking to you Littman.

Strange that you expect Spiller, Dareus, Glenn & Kiko to go the way of Byrd and not that of Wood or A.Williams.....and the Mario signing didn't do anything to somewhat tamper your views.

Time will tell.

Strange that you expect Spiller, Dareus, Glenn & Kiko to go the way of Byrd and not that of Wood or A.Williams.....and the Mario signing didn't do anything to somewhat tamper your views.

Time will tell.

Spiller will be gone after his contract is up;

Quote:

"It's my first rodeo. I'll take advice from guys that have been there before. I'll reach out to Jairus [byrd] and see how he handled it," Spiller said. "I haven't talked to him. I've seen him this offseason but I will [reach out] eventually."

Source: http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/8959/spiller-will-hire-agent-reach-out-to-byrd

He's gone. As a Bills fan, I have forgotten about him. I am interested in who is on the roster right now and how they can help us win. Byrd is a NO Saint. I don't care about him anymore.

I don't get this. Yes, the Bills could have franchised him but would you wanna tag a guy, pay him top money, just for him to sit out the first six games? Because he would have done that. Byrd didn't want to be here, flat out. The Bills gave him a big offer, he turned it down.

Spiller will be gone after his contract is up;

Quote:

"It's my first rodeo. I'll take advice from guys that have been there before. I'll reach out to Jairus [byrd] and see how he handled it," Spiller said. "I haven't talked to him. I've seen him this offseason but I will [reach out] eventually."

Source: http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/8959/spiller-will-hire-agent-reach-out-to-byrd

Notice how many RBs we picked up? I did.

Jason Peters 2.0..........

How many Super Bowls have the Eagles won with him...when he plays? Hilarious how uptight people are about "injury prone" EJ yet cry about losing an OT that can't stay on the field.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Notice how many RBs we picked up? I did.

Not sure what you mean to say with that, it's been clear the FO has been contigency planning with regards to the RB future but also with regards to getting straight up the middle results that CJ isnt delivering.

Backs:

48 Rodriguez, Evan FB 6-1 245 25 3 Temple

38 Summers, Frank FB 5-9 248 28 1 UNLV

35 Brown, Bryce RB 6-0 220 23 3 Kansas State

26 Dixon, Anthony RB 6-1 233 26 5 Mississippi State

22 Jackson, Fred RB 6-1 216 33 8 Coe College

28 Spiller, C.J. RB 5-11 200 26 5 Clemson

42 Wingo, Ronnie RB 6-3 231 23 1 Arkansas

Edited by bladiebla