Sammy Watkins Vs. Ohio State

I don't know if this has been posted yet but I think it deserves it's own discussion.

I know Doug Whaley said his favorite game was NC vs. Miami but This had to be his real favorite game. Sammy Watkins carried his team to victory in the orange bowl.

Of the 378 yards of passing 227 of them were from Sammy Watkins.

16 catches 227 yards and 2 touchdowns.

Edited by buffalover4life

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I love Sammy and all... but this game should not be used as a measuring stick, IMO. Yes, he dominated in what was a very big game for Clemson, on a national stage. I love players who play big in big games. It annoys me when players put up big time stats in garbage time of games and then act like it means something. However - just note that OSU was playing second and third stringers in this game, in the secondary and D-line including true freshman FS who was playing his first ever college game and of course wound up 1:1 with Sammy on a blown coverage. Also, OSU's DC since 2011 can't seem to figure out how to defend the screen pass. Guess what Clemson ran? Surprise.

The most impressive thing Sammy did in that game, to me, was completely trucking LB Ryan Shazier when he tried to tackle him, who would become the 15th overall pick. Sammy is NOT easy to bring down.

5th-round pick Jared Abbrederis put up 207 on the same defense, with all of its starters, in a big-time night game in Columbus. That was impressive.

I remember watching this game live and knowing right then and there that he was the one guy I wanted us to get in the draft because he did absolutely everything in that game. He caught the ball with his hands constantly. He ran past guys. He ran through guys. He showed elusiveness. He high-pointed the ball beautifully on that touchdown in the corner of the end zone. He played with a physicallity and nastiness that was unmatched on that field. He seeked out contact. He displayed every attribute you could possibly in a wide receiver in that ballgame.

I remember watching this game live and knowing right then and there that he was the one guy I wanted us to get in the draft because he did absolutely everything in that game. He caught the ball with his hands constantly. He ran past guys. He ran through guys. He showed elusiveness. He high-pointed the ball beautifully on that touchdown in the corner of the end zone. He played with a physicallity and nastiness that was unmatched on that field. He seeked out contact. He displayed every attribute you could possibly in a wide receiver in that ballgame.

I felt the same way watching that game.

I've been watching other complete games on YouTube. So far none have been as impressive as the Orange Bowl, but Watkins very quietly seems to gain over 100 yards consistently.

from this highlight film and others i have seen, i love the way he runs with the ball after it is in his hands. the blend of speed, agility, balance and power is really something special. can't wait to watch the red, white and blue highlight film at the end of the season!

Yolo...

I love Sammy and all... but this game should not be used as a measuring stick, IMO. Yes, he dominated in what was a very big game for Clemson, on a national stage. I love players who play big in big games. It annoys me when players put up big time stats in garbage time of games and then act like it means something. However - just note that OSU was playing second and third stringers in this game, in the secondary and D-line including true freshman FS who was playing his first ever college game and of course wound up 1:1 with Sammy on a blown coverage. Also, OSU's DC since 2011 can't seem to figure out how to defend the screen pass. Guess what Clemson ran? Surprise.

The most impressive thing Sammy did in that game, to me, was completely trucking LB Ryan Shazier when he tried to tackle him, who would become the 15th overall pick. Sammy is NOT easy to bring down.

5th-round pick Jared Abbrederis put up 207 on the same defense, with all of its starters, in a big-time night game in Columbus. That was impressive.

Yolo....so what exactly are you trying to say here....LOL

"Please disregard that Sammy did his job and put up sick numbers in the spotlight because he was playing against backups"

Something like that?

Yolo...

Yolo....so what exactly are you trying to say here....LOL

"Please disregard that Sammy did his job and put up sick numbers in the spotlight because he was playing against backups"

Something like that?

No, I specifically said I do not disregard it for that reason. I meant that I do look at that particular game with a grain of salt (and not as a measuring stick) because other, lesser players put up sick numbers on the same defense when it did not have backups in. There is no question he was the best player on the field that night and they had no answer for him. It just wasn't the first time someone took advantage of the opportunity.

When Sammy played FSU, his other big game last year, he had 68 yards. Better defense? Yes, x100. Boyd was flat awful, and it affected Sammy's numbers. Boyd looked significantly better against OSU, and likewise so did Sammy.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Funny how Ohio St. was the measuring stick for Kahlil Mack as well. Why not just acknowledge they had stellar collegiate careers, scrap all that, and judge them for their professional careers.

Clearly, he had a great game. Many things stood out, but I will mention only a couple that do not appear to have been mentioned.

1. Clemson ran basically the same play over and over and over and OSU could not stop it even though they had to know it was coming.

2. Sammy is a willing blocker.

3. The guy that he beat on that long TD pass at about 4:30 was four star recruit Doran Grant who, I believe was a junior at the time. He also was ranked by ESPN as the 69th best player coming out of high school when he was being recruited. Not exactly an inexperienced slouch.

4. Sammy attacks the ball. On the same TD pass, Sammy went up and attacked the ball. He did not leave his QB out to dry.

Edited by Peter

Clearly, he had a great game. Many things stood out, but I will mention only a couple that do not appear to have been mentioned.

1. Clemson ran basically the same play over and over and over and OSU could not stop it even though they had to know it was coming.

2. Sammy is a willing blocker.

3. The guy that he beat on that long TD pass at about 4:30 was four star recruit Doran Grant who, I believe was a junior at the time. He also was ranked by ESPN as the 69th best player coming out of high school when he was being recruited. Not exactly an inexperienced slouch.

4. Sammy attacks the ball. On the same TD pass, Sammy went up and attacked the ball. He did not leave his QB out to dry.

Grant was a first year starter, but point taken. They didn't have a single DB who could match up with Watkins. In thinking about press coverage in the NFL, I don't worry about Watkins... but we didn't see that here because the Buckeyes were so scared of his speed.

Funny how Ohio St. was the measuring stick for Kahlil Mack as well. Why not just acknowledge they had stellar collegiate careers, scrap all that, and judge them for their professional careers.

I look at Mack's OSU game a little differently, because OSU had a NC-caliber offense, IMO. He didn't have to face Hyde because he was suspended for that game, but he dominated what ended up being a very good OL and outran two sub-4.4 guys on a pick six that was a thing of beauty. Edited by YoloinOhio

CJ Spiller in him? Hell no. He's better then Spiller, at least in that video. Watkins was playing some level of cerebral football there. His focus on that ball - amazing. Didn't really go downfield much but, oh well.

I wish we had Donald Jones on the roster. That dude was great downfield blocker. I will also add that SJ 13 was phenomenal blocking, as well.

Take this for what it is worth. But Ohio State's pass defense was just terrible last year. Not sure you can judge Sammy off of that game.

In the same way it is foolish to think that Khalil Mack is a stud because he had a big game against Ohio State. He was going against the Buckeye's worst offensive lineman in his first ever start.

I love Sammy and think he is going to be great for the Bills, but JJ is on a different planet than Sammy.

While I agree, I was just saying that a combination of Larry Fitzgerald and CJ Spiller would be Julio Jones. I'm actually surprised that Sammy has drawn comparisons to Julio Jones and some have said he'll be better.

This video takes me back to how I originally felt. Nothing special. Screen play after screen play. A couple of nice routes and nice catches. But he was nothing more than a RB in much of these plays.

I'm fully on board with Sammy now, but this video wasn't good at all.

I hope you weren't serious about Chan Gailey, JBoys. A lot of people have said that Gailey is a great OC but not great head coach. What is this based on? He was never an offensive coordinator at any place for more than a single season. He never did anything that I thought made him appealing as a head coach or OC. Still think that he was one of the worst hires in NFL history. He was only hired because the team didn't have options.

I hope you weren't serious about Chan Gailey, JBoys. A lot of people have said that Gailey is a great OC but not great head coach. What is this based on? He was never an offensive coordinator at any place for more than a single season. He never did anything that I thought made him appealing as a head coach or OC. Still think that he was one of the worst hires in NFL history. He was only hired because the team didn't have options.

Gailey is a genius when it comes to taking a crappy QB and turning him into a pretty productive one. He's smart in crafting an offense to basically match his personnel and make up for the talent limitations.

It's why a guy like Kordell Stewart was an all-pro under him and he could squeeze almost 4000 yards passing out of Ryan Fitzpatrick.

This video takes me back to how I originally felt. Nothing special. Screen play after screen play. A couple of nice routes and nice catches. But he was nothing more than a RB in much of these plays.

I'm fully on board with Sammy now, but this video wasn't good at all.

Yeah. Some nice routes, a couple deep balls for TD's, a lot of screens that went for first downs thanks to good moves and powerful running. Terrible video.

Yeah. Some nice routes, a couple deep balls for TD's, a lot of screens that went for first downs thanks to good moves and powerful running. Terrible video.

he's a WR right??? Not a RB right??? When I watch a highlight video of a WR I want to see the ball thrown beyond the LOS and the WR going up and getting the ball. Making plays. Most of the plays in this video could be made with NFL quality blocking.

Gailey is a genius when it comes to taking a crappy QB and turning him into a pretty productive one. He's smart in crafting an offense to basically match his personnel and make up for the talent limitations.

It's why a guy like Kordell Stewart was an all-pro under him and he could squeeze almost 4000 yards passing out of Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Stewart was a Pro Bowler, not an All Pro. BIG difference. And it wasn't while Gailey was his offensive coordinator.

He did craft an offense that could eat up yardage with a lot of simple routes, but he never crafted an offense that allowed the team to compete when it got behind (I know, the Patriots game is an exception). The team only had four 4th quarter comebacks in four years.

Edited by SBUffalo

Based on what? I would say Sammy has very comparable credentials to Jones' at this point in his career.

Production is similar, but JJ's measurables, for a WR 2 inches taller carrying 15 more pounds of weight, are of someone from a different planet.

Granted, measurables don't account for production or raw natural talent, but for a game of inches that the NFL has become, mean A LOT. Especially at the WR pos.

Jerry Jones disagrees with you. And that man has a few rings for his fingers.

Around this league not many more respected offensive coaches are thought of better then Gailey. He was and is known for making the most out of the very least. His stats on offense prove it. Look at yardage and points on teams he worked the offense. I remember his numbers improved for the single season he was in Miami. I remember similar with Dallas. And I do not remember every detail for Buffalo, but I know that it wasn't any better last year.

he's a WR right??? Not a RB right??? When I watch a highlight video of a WR I want to see the ball thrown beyond the LOS and the WR going up and getting the ball. Making plays. Most of the plays in this video could be made with NFL quality blocking.

College is obviously a different game, you're right. .. But even with that being said, the 2 long TD catches on their own would make for a very solid game at any level. And the screens just show he can catch and immediately become an RB very smoothly, which is not as easy as it sounds.

Jerry Jones disagrees with you. And that man has a few rings for his fingers.

Around this league not many more respected offensive coaches are thought of better then Gailey. He was and is known for making the most out of the very least. His stats on offense prove it. Look at yardage and points on teams he worked the offense. I remember his numbers improved for the single season he was in Miami. I remember similar with Dallas. And I do not remember every detail for Buffalo, but I know that it wasn't any better last year.

Jerry Jones hasn't been too good at judging talent/ability in quite some time. I think Gailey was solid, but nothing special. I also doubt he's near the top of anybody around the league's list of respected offensive coaches. I remember a few former NFL personnel men saying they didn't really understand the hire of Gailey who had been unemployed for two years prior to Buffalo hiring him.

Edited by SBUffalo

Could you please explain (if you can) how any of this is Sammies fault? He ran the plays that were called......

Edited by John from Hemet

College is obviously a different game, you're right. .. But even with that being said, the 2 long TD catches on their own would make for a very solid game at any level. And the screens just show he can catch and immediately become an RB very smoothly, which is not as easy as it sounds.

your right and right.

Could you please explain (if you can) how any of this is Sammies fault? He ran the plays that were called......

never said it was. Just stated that this video is hardly a glowing highlight of his abilities a a WR. He caught like 8 screen passes and 3 balls past the LOS.

Jerry Jones hasn't been too good at judging talent/ability in quite some time. I think Gailey was solid, but nothing special. I also doubt he's near the top of anybody around the league's list of respected offensive coaches. I remember a few former NFL personnel men saying they didn't really understand the hire of Gailey who had been unemployed for two years prior to Buffalo hiring him.

I think you are nitpicking here.

Look up the list of QBs that Gailey had and look at the production he squeezed out of them. Mike tomzcak, kordell Stewart, tyler thigpen (KC), Ryan Fitzpatrick, and jay fiedler. And he actually won with a lot of these guys. The only legit star he had at QB was Aikmen who was concussed and at the end of his career.

I have always wondered how a guy like Gailey would do with a Tom Brady. Maybe not as well??

Some guys are meant to coach poor talent to a better, yet still mediocre, level of production and never coach true talent. Gailey may be one of those guys.

The guy that fits that to a T is Dick Jauron.

The guy is a genius in getting 2-win talent to 7 wins. But he'd take 10-win talent and get to 7 wins too.

I think you are right--Gailey could be the same.

Last year I thought Boyd was destined to be a top 5 pick.

It looks like he was a huge beneficiary of having Watkins and Hopkins.

I've heard the reason for all the screens was bc Sammy is awesome but also bc Boyd was so badly inconsistent.