How long till Sammy signs ?

Rookie pay scale comes into play. Come the time he needs to re-sign I'm sure it will play into the conversation along with how well he is expected to do over his rookie contract.

maybe Parker wants Sammy to be paid the TOTAL of the three draft pick slots the bills used to get him.

(sarcasm)

Edited by papazoid

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is my hope that Doug Whaley can form a better relationship with this devil so we get players signed in the future

This reflects my opinion.

And i expect as much .

One hell of a business the NFL has become eh ?

Hope its smooth because Sammy is a darned good kid to have playing for the Bills and Bills fans

Eugene and Doug know each other well enough by this point. Even though they couldn't reach a deal with Jairus, I'm confident they'll work this out quickly. Although, after giving up two firsts for Sammy, the Bills don't have a strong bargaining position.

We only gave up one first for Sammy.

We only gave up one first for Sammy.

If you think about it, we got him for a conditional 7th in 2015.

I don't want to go down this road. Watkins cost the Bills 2 firsts, period. If you want to play some semantic game where you can split the nuanced hairs between, spent, swapped, used, gave away, etc., then have at it. I'm sure it will be fascinating.

My point was that whatever the sticking points are on the negotiations, given what the team gave up for him, his agent has the superior bargaining position. That's it.

I don't want to go down this road. Watkins cost the Bills 2 firsts, period. If you want to play some semantic game where you can split the nuanced hairs between, spent, swapped, used, gave away, etc., then have at it. I'm sure it will be fascinating.

My point was that whatever the sticking points are on the negotiations, given what the team gave up for him, his agent has the superior bargaining position. That's it.

Except their really aren't negotiations for rookies now with the new rookie pay scale. He will get paid in his slot as the 4th overall pick. The only negotiating will be done on the offset language which I would suspect the Bills to concede on based on how badly they wanted Watkins.

Except their really aren't negotiations for rookies now with the new rookie pay scale. He will get paid in his slot as the 4th overall pick. The only negotiating will be done on the offset language which I would suspect the Bills to concede on based on how badly they wanted Watkins.

I agree.

Plus if he's cut before the contract is done it'll be some other owner and GMs problem. I don't think Whaley survives if Watkins flops so bad that he's gone in 3 years after costing 2 firsts. I hate to say it but these guys have no incentive to play hardball on offset language given the crossroad they are at in their career.

Edited by NoSaint

the bills USED 3 of their draft picks on Sammy (two 1st rounders and one 4th rounder)

So, it's not what they gave up for him.

I'm the one using semantics?

Edited by Triple Threat

So, it's not what they gave up for him.

I'm the one using semantics?

No.....there are more than one of you who seemingly find it important to argue the correct wording of how to say what occurred.....even though everybody knows exactly what was given up, spent, traded and used.

Truth be told, you are all wrong. We spent 1 first round pick on Sammy Watkins. We traded 2 first round picks and a 4th round pick to move up to the #4 spot. :nana:

Exactly, the new CBA makes these contracts academic. They are probably wrangling over some minor details. I'm sure it will be done by the end of June.

Yep. Compensation is slotted and set. Both in salary, bonus, and guaranteed money. The negotiation is around structure. When and how the money is paid out. Some rookies don't even use an agent in this process because not worth paying for what little involvement they may have. This is a good article on MMQB about the rookie deals under the new CBA:

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/05/22/nfl-rookie-contract-negotiations/