Gregg Easterbrook on the Watkins Pick

Given all of that, I'm curious as to which rookie QBs anyone thinks *would* succeed. It's really unbelievable, seeing it all put together in one sentence. Talk about a virtually impossible situation.

Seriously. I'm not claiming EJ is going to be a pro bowler but to call him a bust after the mess that was last season is pretty short sighted. He showed some postives and negatives.

We knew he was a bit of a "Project" when we drafted him. I don't see how you can judge him after just 10 games in a rookie HC/OC's brand new offense. He also missed a ton Of reps in TC/preseason due to injury.

This season will be a much better indicator of what we have in him. Full year of NFL conditioning. He will have a full year in Hacketts offense. Much more experience with his WR's.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given all of that, I'm curious as to which rookie QBs anyone thinks *would* succeed. It's really unbelievable, seeing it all put together in one sentence. Talk about a virtually impossible situation.

The answer is none. Last years plan stated to fall apart when Kolb got hurt and it was downhill from there. Even if Kolb hadn't been injured, last year was going to be a year of assessing things. There are people on this site and in the media, that even before last season labeled Manuel a bust. This group thinks its a bad trade because the pick will be needed for a QB. The Bills organization has decided they are going to see if Manuel is the guy and they are going to do everything to help him. The Bills thought enough of Manuel to take him in the first round. They are not going to give up on him after one season. Helping him is the smart thing to do.

The answer is none. Last years plan stated to fall apart when Kolb got hurt and it was downhill from there. Even if Kolb hadn't been injured, last year was going to be a year of assessing things. There are people on this site and in the media, that even before last season labeled Manuel a bust. This group thinks its a bad trade because the pick will be needed for a QB. The Bills organization has decided they are going to see if Manuel is the guy and they are going to do everything to help him. The Bills thought enough of Manuel to take him in the first round. They are not going to give up on him after one season. Helping him is the smart thing to do.

I'll go you one better than that. There is no "see if Manuel is the guy". They gave up next years first to acquire Manuel as close to a sure-thing star weapon as there was in this draft. There is no "see". Whaley is all in on Manuel.

I don't buy that the threat of being fired motivated this draft. They could be fired either way with a new owner. Why risk your career making stupid moves? New owner or not, I think Whaley would make the same deals.

Exactly. I especially love it when members of The Junior GM Club state as fact that Brandon and Whaley did this or that to save their jobs, or that it's a fact that Marrone didn't like SJ's antics. Could be they're right but really they're just taking a wild guess. And that's a fact.

I'd go even further and suggest last year's plan started going down hill even BEFORE Kolb got hurt. EJ had clearly outperformed him the entire off season and through training camp. It's a tough sell, especially to the vets on the team, to say we're going with the second best QB we've seen in camp to this point. They needed better QB than Kolb from the get go, his injury notwithstanding. EJ would have been well-served by a redshirt year.

GO BILLS!!!

By mid season everyone bashing giving away that 1st rounder will be talking about what a absolute genious Doug Whaley is....

and the funny thing is they will soley focus on it when he did so many other smart moves in free agency and draft

- What 6th rounder will give us the production of Mike Williams?

- The trade to get bryce brown

- MOVING BACK in the 2nd round....picking up a pick....and still netting Cujo who will be a fixture at RT for us

- Taking the low risk chance on Sentrel

- Picking up Cyrus in the 5th

- Spikes

All of this will be worth it IF we have a chance to make the playoffs in December. Otherwise, the bashing will be unavoidable.

If the Bills make the playoffs, I will be happy with this trade. If not, I will view it as a folly. Either way, it strongly appears to be a desperation move for the brass to stay employed, rather than one that was in the long term interest of this franchise.

We shall see.

Honest question - In your opinion, which single 1st round pick would make the Bills more likely to make the playoffs than Watkins?

I'd go even further and suggest last year's plan started going down hill even BEFORE Kolb got hurt. EJ had clearly outperformed him the entire off season and through training camp. It's a tough sell, especially to the vets on the team, to say we're going with the second best QB we've seen in camp to this point. They needed better QB than Kolb from the get go, his injury notwithstanding. EJ would have been well-served by a redshirt year.

GO BILLS!!!

I agree, but I don't think there was anyone else willing to come to the Bills. I also think that vets understand bringing a guy along. What game did Kolb get hurt in? I know the mat incident was early in camp, but when did he get the concussion?

I agree, but I don't think there was anyone else willing to come to the Bills. I also think that vets understand bringing a guy along. What game did Kolb get hurt in? I know the mat incident was early in camp, but when did he get the concussion?

Preseason, second game maybe? I forget which one.

Yep. And Corey Graham. That was my favorite signing of them all. Kid is going to be our starting FS, and he can do it.

Starting FS? Possibly, and I hope so, but whenever Marrone is asked about him, he speaks of him first as a CB and then as a safety. Not sure why.

I'm happy with the Watkins pick, but I think Mack would have been better. The Bills D-line is not going to be as good as it was last year, and a strong LB crew would have made up the difference. (Williams*2 will be fine, but Dareus is going to have another loopy year after his recent arrest, and there's no good RDE on the roster.) I think Mack is going to be as good on defense as Watkins will be on offense.

NOT A WORD =P

Not only that, it was spelled incorrectly!

When you use the non-word, irregardless, you are embracing your Buffalo roots.

Lets not get persnickety fellas.

Irregardless the Bills start on the road in Chicago. It will be a tough game because of the opening weekend atmosphere. But they have an aging Charles Tillman and a Rookie Kyle Fuller. Plus the Bears need to figure out what to do with Jared Allen and Lamar Houston. It usually takes longer for defenses to gel. Since most of the offense is returning in Buffalo. They Bills will likely have only 3 new starters and a familiar playbook Watkins, Kuoandjio and Richardson\Chris Williams. Maybe the Bills can catch the Bears new defense off guard. They'll try to single Woods\Williams or Watkins on Jennings or Fuller and make them prove they can cover. Can't wait!

Edited by Why So Serious?

It might not have been the most popular move, but they already had a veteran QB under contract. Actually, two of them. They let them both go. (But I've been told this was a great cap move.)

The current front office knows the team will be sold soon, and if Buffalo fails to break its playoff drought, everyone who doesn't wear cleats will be fired.

Greg clearly doesn't know this organization very well.

What does he have this year?

A second year coach that hasn't even proven that he belongs in the NFL, even worse for the OC in his second year, who knows if he'll get injured, Certainly there will be an injury or two along the OL (it's unusual for any OL to make it through 16 games for every starter), he has a rookie WR, a second year WR now playing without the long-time starter next to him and one that's being counted on to be the leader among the WRs yet that didn't even log 600 receiving yards last season and only had 3 TDs, I think we can count on Spiller being hurt at some point again, and Jackson's put up pedestrian numbers his last two seasons amounting to nothing more than Antowain Smith ever gave us and that's not going to improve this year. I'm not even going to mention Brown who has done absolutely nothing relevant in the NFL besides post a few good games against below average to poor defenses.

Meanwhile, has anyone here actually done any research on Schwartz and Downing, our new hero QB coach?

He, along with Schwartz, was fired.

Here's one article on a quick google;

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2014/01/qb_coach_todd_downing_among_as.html

Here are a couple of excerpts from that piece, ... before everyone shreds the writer as an idiot;

Stafford seemingly was regressing under the old regime of head coach Jim Schwartz, offensive coordinator Scott Linehan and Downing. He threw 19 picks this past season and completed only 58.5 percent of his passes, his worst numbers since his rookie year.

And another ...

Caldwell, who replaced Schwartz this week, is known for a career of working with quarterbacks. That includes Peyton Manning, who vouched for him during the interview process.

His hire is predicated on the belief he can turn around Stafford's career with his specific system.

So they fired Schwartz and Downing, and brought in guys specifically to work with Stafford.

I'm trying to find out why this is a ringing endorsement that some are implicitly making it out to be? Manuel is no Stafford to be sure.

That nobody was questioning his dynamic playmaking ability. That he was a game changer, THE playmaker of the 2010 draft.

I seem to recall those statements being similar between the two.

Well if you look back at the draft, all those statements are true.

Only other player in the first round picked after Spiller I would want is D. Thomas