ESPN

sjjr

This Mike Rodak guy who covers the AFC East for ESPN now just makes me laugh. Every move the Pats make is genius and the Bills just can't seem to get it right according to him. He always is suggesting EJ won't work out. They said Preston Brown was 6th or 7th round value whe he was rated by most as the top run stuffing LB in the draft.

Guys on espn are also saying the Jets had a good draft. They had some good late picks but reached for several in earlier rounds. The Dolphins didn't seem to have a great draft or offseason so far.

Overall...Espn is not near as good as it used to be 10-15 yrs ago and I'm thinking of just not watching anymore. Mayock is so superior to Kiper and McShay, it's not funny.

Nothing new. ESPN will continue to overlook the Bills until the team starts to win. Then they will be everyones "dark horse" and broadcasters will act like they have had their eye on them all along. Been like this for a decade..

Agree with your Mayock comparison, almost as if Kiper has become a caricature of himself...as for the coverage, until the Bills win consistently,we will have to still get the shaft from the national media...and I'm fine with that.It fits into the whole mentality I've gained.screw em and we are going to show 'em...Go Bills!!

I'm not sure how anybody can say the Patriots had a good draft. I don't see anybody that they picked that will help them this year, and realistically, this is probably their last chance at a SB.

I'm not sure how anybody can say the Patriots had a good draft. I don't see anybody that they picked that will help them this year, and realistically, this is probably their last chance at a SB.

I didn't look at their whole draft but I definitely felt that same way about their early picks. Oof.

Every off season for the past three years. Someone says that about the pats* In fact I expect to read it here at least another 10 times before the season starts, and then they dominate for several more years.

I hope I'm wrong but being offseason paper champs for me does nothing.

I just saw Mel Kiper jr gave us a C- draft grade...

Is that a joke? He gave the Panthers a C and they still don't have a tackle.

Im over these Idiots!

He gave the Patriots a C if people care.

I am usually not hyper sensitive about negative comments and Buffalo. I have traveled a lot and I totally understand who we are and are not but. ..... ESPN and the other negative commentators need to be flagged for applying a double standard to our draft. The same guys who had Richard son and Ku Jo. high on their draft boards and list Watkins as the only true number 1 wr in the draft give us a C or a C- . By what standard? Oh they don't like how we got the number one pick? Do they criticize the Jets or SF by how they got the compensatory picks? Don't you have to subtract who they lost and then add who they gained to get a net net? How the Bills got the Watkins Pick has nothing to do with this years draft and everything to do with next years draft. Looks like WR envy to me.

Nothing new. ESPN will continue to overlook the Bills until the team starts to win. Then they will be everyones "dark horse" and broadcasters will act like they have had their eye on them all along. Been like this for a decade..

Yep. Charles Davis had a great comment during the broadcast yesterday. He said a couple years ago, the Seahawks were drafting and "we," meaning the draft guru guys on TV, were all panning the selections. And now, that exact same thing happens, and "we" are going, "hmmmm... Maybe these guys are onto something. They know what they are doing."

This is another stupid thing about grading drafts. The national media guys will actually penalize the Bills twice for this. The only reason they gave the lousy ratings was because they thought the Bills were a rebuilding team and gave up too much to get Watkins. If they just took the draft as the players, not thinking of the trade, we would have great grades. Watkins is a stud in everyone's mind.

But next year, when we have no first round pick, they will say the Bills really blew it not having a number one this year (even if Watkins does great) and while the draft from what they got looks pretty good, we are only giving them a C because they had no number one.

Pick a year to be overly critical. You can't pick two.

Yep. Charles Davis had a great comment during the broadcast yesterday. He said a couple years ago, the Seahawks were drafting and "we," meaning the draft guru guys on TV, were all panning the selections. And now, that exact same thing happens, and "we" are going, "hmmmm... Maybe these guys are onto something. They know what they are doing."

Yesterday I heard probably the best analysis of the draft on SIrius XM when one of the talking heads said, essentially, "The Bills are pushing all their chips in this week. They know they're either going to win and keep their jobs with the new owner, or lose and burn the house down on the way out."

It seems to me, otherwise, that if you are paid to discuss the NFL draft, you should lose your pay the minute you start grading it because it just shows us you're too stupid for the job.

Edited by LABillzFan

This Mike Rodak guy who covers the AFC East for ESPN now just makes me laugh. Every move the Pats make is genius and the Bills just can't seem to get it right according to him. He always is suggesting EJ won't work out. They said Preston Brown was 6th or 7th round value whe he was rated by most as the top run stuffing LB in the draft.

Guys on espn are also saying the Jets had a good draft. They had some good late picks but reached for several in earlier rounds. The Dolphins didn't seem to have a great draft or offseason so far.

Overall...Espn is not near as good as it used to be 10-15 yrs ago and I'm thinking of just not watching anymore. Mayock is so superior to Kiper and McShay, it's not funny.

I stopped watching ESPN a long time ago for any type of analysis. I usually come to this forum to hear about whomever. Too many of these media types are just saying something to stir the pot so to speak. I know this sounds pretty negative but I don't think the Bills will get any lovin until they win a Super Bowl. I'm ok with that.

ESPN has been unwatchable for years. Can't stand Berman. Tom Jackson has always been a lightweight in terms of analysis. The whole Rush Limbaugh experiment was just as bad as Donald Sterling. McShay is horrible. Worst of all is a death battle between the "factor back" Merrill Hoge and Herm Edwards. The only guy I think makes any sense in a volume that is reasonable is Mark Schlereth.

I have not watched the program in years but do read and watch video from the website as well as listen to Mike and Mike and the Herd on my drive to work on the west coast.

Assessing draft grades immediately following are really, really stupid. They are more meaningless than even your average sports media information, and they are purely invented to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

Get past 'em and don't waste a minute of your time with Rodak or with any of the grades.

Instead of ESPN having a draft grade show the day after the draft ends. Why don't they go back three years, and do a draft grade show based on those analysis?...Go back and look at the picks they cheered, and jeered for and see who was right. The teams, or the draft gurus. I bet more often then not the gurus were wrong. Let's go back and see who got value, who reached, who was a sleeper, and who was a bust. It would be far more entertaining then the guessing that they are doing now.

Instead of ESPN having a draft grade show the day after the draft ends. Why don't they go back three years, and do a draft grade show based on those analysis?...Go back and look at the picks they cheered, and jeered for and see who was right. The teams, or the draft gurus. I bet more often then not the gurus were wrong. Let's go back and see who got value, who reached, who was a sleeper, and who was a bust. It would be far more entertaining then the guessing that they are doing now.

It would be too painful for them. ESPN exists not even in the present, but in a version of the present, sealed in a vacuum and climate-controlled to preserve helmet hair for its shelf life.

Seriously, the draft is an OK TV show with too many commercials, but the amount of noise vs. actual information presented is like the amount of filler vs. meat in a McDonald's burger.

I just saw Mel Kiper jr gave us a C- draft grade...

Is that a joke? He gave the Panthers a C and they still don't have a tackle.

Im over these Idiots!

He gave the Patriots a C if people care.

Kiper has always been a hard grader. Not sure why. Did he even give one A?

By the way, Rodak is a lightweight. I think he's like 14 years old.

As much as we can't wait for the season, DON'T PAY ATTENTION TO ANY NATIONAL MEDIA OF THE BILLS. Trust me, I say this out of experience. On several occasions I've seen previews of the division when they don't even mention the Bills. Not the conference, the division.... They stick with big markets and teams that are of national interest. It's a business like any other. I've been burned by ESPN, CBS, FOX, and NFL network too many times to know better. You might as well be a liberal watching FOX NEWS

As much as we can't wait for the season, DON'T PAY ATTENTION TO ANY NATIONAL MEDIA OF THE BILLS. Trust me, I say this out of experience. On several occasions I've seen previews of the division when they don't even mention the Bills. Not the conference, the division.... They stick with big markets and teams that are of national interest. It's a business like any other. I've been burned by ESPN, CBS, FOX, and NFL network too many times to know better. You might as well be a liberal watching FOX NEWS

I won't touch the Fox News statement with a ten foot pole, but I'll say despite the volume of posts here, there are people here who break down football better than anybody I can see on television, and without the ads, the smarm, and false insider perspective. It's why I keep coming back just about daily.

And McDonald's is probably one of the most successful restaurants (and businesses, period) in the history of the world.

Total volume perhaps as a restaurant, surely not as an overall business, and not in a lot of other relevant categories. ESPN dominates everything in its business, sports broadcasting, and in other businesses it has no business being bigger than, like network/cable broadcasting.

That would be interesting; however, I wonder how intellectually honest they would be. I read an article by Kiper a couple days ago where he went back and assessed the grades he gave to all teams after the 2013 draft. I know you will find this hard to believe, but he felt he was pretty much spot on with almost every grade... :lol:

Total volume perhaps as a restaurant, surely not as an overall business, and not in a lot of other relevant categories. ESPN dominates everything in its business, sports broadcasting, and in other businesses it has no business being bigger than, like network/cable broadcasting.

That's Disney for ya.

Who says we wont have a 1st round selection next year? They can trade up if there is someone we just have to have.

Agreed. Whaley seems like a 'think two moves ahead' kind of guy and I would not be shocked to see him do something to get us into the bottom third of round 1 next year...

On the NFL network a couple guys ran through draft grades for the AFC East. When they came back to the desk from that Mayock was just shaking his head. They said something like "You didn't like that did you Mike?" and he said "That was the biggest waste of 10 minutes ever." FWIW, one gave the Bills an A and the other gave us a B+.

Yesterday I heard probably the best analysis of the draft on SIrius XM when one of the talking heads said, essentially, "The Bills are pushing all their chips in this week. They know they're either going to win and keep their jobs with the new owner, or lose and burn the house down on the way out."

It seems to me, otherwise, that if you are paid to discuss the NFL draft, you should lose your pay the minute you start grading it because it just shows us you're too stupid for the job.

So true. Having worked in start ups for over 20 years, I have seen this happen quite a few times. Company is in the 3rd year of its existence and almost ready to run out of VC funding. The inside guys take desperate measures; if they succeed and then find a buyer they are called genius; if they don't succeed, then they leave (or get fired) and new management comes in and start from scratch with zero talent (as the good folks are already gone) and then rebuild the company. No different....Everyone including the Buffalo Bills are living in the real world.