Colt Lyerla

All of that is understood well and is fine and dandy. Point made, point gotten. But, what does is cost us to just invite the kid to camp and have a look see?

It could cost a lot. Stupid players doing saying stupid things can divide locker rooms. See Riley Cooper last year. Even if he is let go as soon as it happens, I would imagine there would be some players who would question the decision to have such a known risk around in the first place. When you're trying to a build a team, and supposedly focusing on character, you need to limit risks. The Bills have already taken on a few high risk / high reward type players, I imagine they feel that they have enough risk to manage.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It could cost a lot. Stupid players doing saying stupid things can divide locker rooms. See Riley Cooper last year. Even if he is let go as soon as it happens, I would imagine there would be some players who would question the decision to have such a known risk around in the first place. When you're trying to a build a team, and supposedly focusing on character, you need to limit risks. The Bills have already taken on a few high risk / high reward type players, I imagine they feel that they have enough risk to manage.

It would cost absolutely nothing...and teammates rallied around Riley Cooper last year and came to his defense.

Football players are willing to take risks on elite talent, if it will help them win. I want a smash-mouth football team, not a church choir.

I was listening to NFL radio on Sirius this afternoon and the Cardinals GM was raving about the work ethic and buy in of Tyrann Mathieu. It sounded like he was describing Peyton Manning.

Truth is, sometimes these troubled players work out, why not take a shot.

I wish Lyeria the best and hope that Henderson takes note of how ones image can be rehabilitated.

I was listening to NFL radio on Sirius this afternoon and the Cardinals GM was raving about the work ethic and buy in of Tyrann Mathieu. It sounded like he was describing Peyton Manning.

Truth is, sometimes these troubled players work out, why not take a shot.

I wish Lyeria the best and hope that Henderson takes note of how ones image can be rehabilitated.

Vontaze Burfict

And Democrats anywhere.

Awesome... a Democrat v. Republican squabble in a thread about a social menace busted for coke and kissed away millions. As a non-affiliated voter, I agree, Democrats and Republicans are wacky... but so is anyone who votes a party line or a single issue... that's the biggest problem.

Awesome... a Democrat v. Republican squabble in a thread about a social menace busted for coke and kissed away millions. As a non-affiliated voter, I agree, Democrats and Republicans are wacky... but so is anyone who votes a party line or a single issue... that's the biggest problem.

Lyerla is a democrat.............relax....I kid! It's not a great time to add a time-bomb TE to your squad given the bean town mess.

Colt Lyerla trying out for Packers

Colt Lyerla, one of the most talented and troubled tight ends in this year's draft class, is finally getting his NFL shot with the Green Bay Packers.

Lyerla, who was suspended by the University of Oregon last fall and eventually left the team in what was reported as a mutually parting before subsequently running into legal troubles, was among 28 players invited to the team's rookie orientation camp on a tryout basis after he went undrafted and unsigned in rookie free agency.

The 6-foot-3, 242-pound Lyerla never specified why he left the Ducks' program but shortly thereafter was arrested for cocaine possession and attempting to flee police.

I can't believe that no one has picked this kid up for a tryout. He must be really really crazy.

When you tweet out that its a government conspiracy and the parents are lying after a bunch of kids were killed in San Diego I don't know if that's someone I want anywhere near my team, imho

I am guessing that Marrone got a read on this guy from Kiko....who would know him. If the Bills passed, its for good reason.

Yeah or maybe they are not good influences for one another. Maybe they partied before. Coke ain't no joke either

Edited by UncleMonkeyHead

It would cost absolutely nothing...and teammates rallied around Riley Cooper last year and came to his defense.

Football players are willing to take risks on elite talent, if it will help them win. I want a smash-mouth football team, not a church choir.

I don't understand what you're saying. First, you're saying it would cost nothing, then you acknowledge it is a risk. If you take a risk and it doesn't work out, there is a cost. That's why it's a risk.

Edited by Captain Caveman

If your smash mouth football player is getting his mouth smashed by the cops after attempting to flee, smashing powder up his nose, or smashing through any semblance of goodwill the team is creating in the community, it ain't worth it.

For example, I'm among the people who wished it had worked out here for Marshawn Lynch, but there's kind of a threshold of being a dummy, where once you surpass it, you're not going to get many other chances. The Seahawks have lucked out, and Marshawn still might be facing some more discipline when all is said and done.

If your smash mouth football player is getting his mouth smashed by the cops after attempting to flee, smashing powder up his nose, or smashing through any semblance of goodwill the team is creating in the community, it ain't worth it.

For example, I'm among the people who wished it had worked out here for Marshawn Lynch, but there's kind of a threshold of being a dummy, where once you surpass it, you're not going to get many other chances. The Seahawks have lucked out, and Marshawn still might be facing some more discipline when all is said and done.

Yeah, it's an interesting question how many chances you get and where the "dummy threshold" is.

The Bills have taken on some "boom or bust" players - Seantrel Henderson is one premier example, having failed a drug test for pot at the combine (where the players all know they will be tested) after admitting his several Miami suspensions were related to pot use and expressing the politically correct sentiment to put those days behind him and move on. This clearly put him over the "dummy threshold" for many teams because,of the contradiction between what he said and his actions. But at least Seantrel had the discipline to stick with a college program, take his suspensions and deal with his legal problems, return to the program, and go through most of the predraft routine.

Bryce Brown would be another example of boom or bust. Coming into college with high expectations, it seems as though he let the hype go to his head, possibly under the influence of trusted adults with poor judgement. But there isn't anything (that I know of) suggesting drug use or inability to comply with a program and play in the framework of a team.

Colt Lyerla is on a whole other level of "boom or bust". Cocaine addition impairs ability to function in a routine or with discipline and is very hard to break. I wish him the best but on a team that is struggling to establish a winning culture I could see him easily becoming a major distraction.

Honestly, I don't know enough about him to have an opinion. The twitter comments are moronic. Just b/c he was nabbed in a cocaine possession doesn't mean he is an addict. I'm not saying he's not, just I don't have enough information to have an opinion.

If we interview him, and seems like it was just a couple of stupid decisions, then yes, give him a trial. If the FO feels he's nuts or a drug addict, then of course no.

Honestly, I don't know enough about him to have an opinion. The twitter comments are moronic. Just b/c he was nabbed in a cocaine possession doesn't mean he is an addict. I'm not saying he's not, just I don't have enough information to have an opinion.

If we interview him, and seems like it was just a couple of stupid decisions, then yes, give him a trial. If the FO feels he's nuts or a drug addict, then of course no.

I have to imagine with his talent Bills already talked to Oregon and people that know the kid.

Dont worry we are not as smart about this stuff as the current Bills scouting staff. maybe the last ten plus years. but no longer.