• Before the regular season
    • during the season
    • After the season
    • The OP is nuts and we are going to resign him to a new contract
    • We will tag him for the following year
    • We will tag and trade
    • We will let him walk

http://nfltraderumor...tay-in-buffalo/

As Mike Rodak of ESPN wrote, some of Spiller’s comments may make Bills fans worried, though Spiller ultimately stated that he “would love to stay” and finish his career with Buffalo.

It’s my first rodeo. I’ll take advice from the guys that have been there before” Spiller said. “I’ll reach out to Jairus [byrd] and see how he handled it.”.................Spiller did not provide a timeline for negotiations, but he is cognizant of the current landscape for NFL running backs......................

Spiller’s production dipped a bit last season under HC Doug Marrone when he posted 933 yards rushing on 202 attempts, good for 4.6 yards per carry. In 2012, Spiller registered 6.0 yards per carry on 207 attempts.

Spiller appears to be doing everything an impending free agent should-hiring representation, attending workouts, seeking to commence negotiation. Despite Rodak’s concern, Spiller appears to be merely keeping his options open............

Oh great. So he is getting advise from Jairus Byrd for his final year under a contract with the Bills......

===============================================================================

Bills-Titans talks cloud C.J. Spiller's future

http://espn.go.com/b...spillers-future

........................Both Spiller and Jackson will become free agents this season. Jackson is 33 -- and has faced injury issues in both knees -- but he performed much more consistently than Spiller last season. It would be almost unimaginable for the Bills to move on from Jackson, their offensive captain, in favor of Johnson.

That leaves Spiller, who never got into a groove in first-year offensive coordinator Nate Hackett's system. Although Spiller averaged 4.6 yards per carry, he averaged fewer than three yards per carry in six games. On plays with at least five yards to gain for a first down, Spiller lost yardage on 14.4 percent of his runs, the worst rate among NFL running backs with a qualifying amount of carries.

Hampered by an ankle injury, Spiller played 34 percent of offensive snaps, considerably less than Jackson's 56 percent and the fewest since Spiller's rookie season. Spiller's 185 receiving yards were also the fewest since he was a rookie. ......................

Yes, I was disappointed in Spillers ability to keep moving the chains last year. 6-10 was our record. How well does a fast scatback fit in with very large and slower linemen? Just before the AFC NFL merger, the KC Chiefs ran successfully with giant o-linemen and little "smurf" running backs who were invisible behind those big guys. Or would you want bigger bruising running backs to follow the big linemen clearing the way?

Edited by maryland-bills-fan

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't anyone out there have anything to say about how Spiller's skill set fits in with the Bills loading up on deep pattern wide receivers and big road-grading offensive linemen? Can you sense the disconnect with having a guy whose promise is a lot of zero gains plays, trying to get him into open space (to use his speed and high speed shiftyness)....and drafting big play WR, and steam roller offensive linemen (check own many in this draft). With Spiller, you run a lot of running plays and types of screen passes to try to get him into breaking a long gain, once or twice a game. Didn't work. (check the Bills W/L record on this). You get a lot of 2nd and 10 and 3rd and 7's, which leads to 3 and outs and a tired defense. .....Sorry, we are going for a 5 yards and a cloud of dust and bruised and tired defense for the other side, along with continual deep threats and nobody in the box defensive sets. That is the plan. Spiller doesn't fit. Smell the coffee.

Doesn't anyone out there have anything to say about how Spiller's skill set fits in with the Bills loading up on deep pattern wide receivers and big road-grading offensive linemen? Can you sense the disconnect with having a guy whose promise is a lot of zero gains plays, trying to get him into open space (to use his speed and high speed shiftyness)....and drafting big play WR, and steam roller offensive linemen (check own many in this draft). With Spiller, you run a lot of running plays and types of screen passes to try to get him into breaking a long gain, once or twice a game. Didn't work. (check the Bills W/L record on this). You get a lot of 2nd and 10 and 3rd and 7's, which leads to 3 and outs and a tired defense. .....Sorry, we are going for a 5 yards and a cloud of dust and bruised and tired defense for the other side, along with continual deep threats and nobody in the box defensive sets. That is the plan. Spiller doesn't fit. Smell the coffee.

No, he is a very good RB, explosive gamebreaker who is the perfect complement to Fred Jackson, or maybe even Bryce Brown, along with their new power running game massive OL -- and you run and run and then when they come up to stop the run, you bust them deep. You are not going to just run up the middle every play.

Doesn't anyone out there have anything to say about how Spiller's skill set fits in with the Bills loading up on deep pattern wide receivers and big road-grading offensive linemen? Can you sense the disconnect with having a guy whose yadda yadda yadda

No, because your assessment is wrong. Chris Williams was signed because he's mobile and can pull out front on outside runs and screens. He's not a "road grader". Incidentally, Watkins excels at short passes, screens and sweeps, too.

I don't disagree that Marrone probably prefers a big back that can run inside, but I bet he'd like to have both at his disposal. The return in trade for Spiller right now is nowhere near equal to the value he provides the Bills on the field in 2014--- and as much as I like the Bryce Brown trade, they're not about to hand the keys to him and a 33 year old Fred Jackson. It would be suicide.

Bills are all in this year. It's Playoffs or bust. New owner on the way. If they fail again, the new owner will certainly clean house and they will be another 2-4 years back in the rebuilding process. If they miss the playoffs, whomever the new GM is will try and get the 2015 1st back to draft the next franchise QB. Tag & trade Spiller is about the only option to get back in the 1st round next year if things go really bad this year.

Running backs aren't being paid much. Moreno got 1 yr/3 mil. I don't think any running back would get a 5 yr/40 mil contract going forward. If he has a huge year he might be able to get half that.

Good point.

I highly doubt they will trade Spiller. I think they will try to sign him. If he leaves, it will be because he chooses to. I think this because he is Sammy's buddy and Sammy is their new golden boy. They want him happy. That in addition to, of course, he is a stud.

Edited by YoloinOhio

The guy averaged more YPC than AP, Lynch, Gore and had a "down year." He was ineffective at times but so was the whole team. Having a guy who hopefully will be a true #1 in Watkins should help everybody on the offense. It's not like the guy was Trent Richardson.

Every RB brought in means the end of Spiller I guess. Dixon with 2.0 ypc and 56 rushing yards last season should be a viable replacement, right?

Okay - I'm having a brain fart so bear with me - if Spiller plays out the year and the Bills don't extend him or don't tag him and he walks, is there any compensation to the Bills? I think they ony get compensation if he's tagged, right? Long day, the brain is mush....

Edited by chaccof

I think Fred Jackson is going to hit the wall sometime this season. They aren't going to get rid of Spiller this year. If he has agreat season, and the OC figures out how to maximize his abilities, they should keep him. If not, they will draft a RB ( with the 2nd Rd. pick?) and move on.

He will be a Bill, at least through this season.

Okay - I'm having a brain fart so bear with me - if Spiller plays out the year and the Bills don't extend him or don't tag him and he walks, is there any compensation to the Bills? I think they ony get compensation if he's tagged, right? Long day, the brain is mush....

if Spiller becomes a Free Agent and he signs with another team, the Bills "may" receive a compensatory pick.

Under the rules for compensatory draft selections, a team losing more or better compensatory free agents than it acquires in the previous year is eligible to receive compensatory draft picks.

http://nfllabor.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/03-24-14-compensatory-picks.pdf

if Spiller becomes a Free Agent and he signs with another team, the Bills "may" receive a compensatory pick.

Under the rules for compensatory draft selections, a team losing more or better compensatory free agents than it acquires in the previous year is eligible to receive compensatory draft picks.

http://nfllabor.file...atory-picks.pdf

That makes a lot more sense than just more FA... "more or better"... directly from the NFL.

Under the rules for compensatory draft selections, a team losing more or better

compensatory free agents than it acquires in the previous year is eligible to receive

compensatory draft picks

spiller will NOT be traded.

more than likely spiller will become a Free Agent after this season.

I do believe the Bills will offer CJ a contract extension at "fair" market price, before, during and after the season, which he will decline.

What in the HELL is wrong with some posters on this site? Why on Gods green earth would anyone, who calls themselves a Bills fan, insinuate the trading of CJ Spiller? In case you haven't noticed this organization is trying to accumulate talent to try and make this team a Super Bowl contender. Starting threads like this one is, IMO, stupid and asinine. Spiller played behind a subpar Oline last year that didn't allow him to use his number 1 attribute, SPEED. Doug Whaley and Co. not only drafted to help EJ Manuel, but also to help CJ as well. With the acquisition of Kouandijo, Richardson, Henderson not only should we see a return to excellence in the run game and CJ, we should see the evolution of our franchise QB. GREAT JOB Mr. Whaley, Mr. Brandon and staff.

Spiller will not go anywhere, he played hurt last year do to the veteran influence Freddy provides,if he stays healthy he'll have a huge year. Most likely will stay. Unless he hires Eugene parker the don't king of player agents. I would like to see a stat on how these agents help players after careers are over or nearing the end.

Three months from never.

How do you figure. Right now CJ is the most expendable of the 4 RB's on this roster. He can't stay on the field and is good for a couple good plays a game. It is more than obvious the Staff wants a guy that can be an every down back and can pound the rock and stay on the damn field. Not have 1-3 big plays then pull himself out after each one.

And CJ can talk to Byrd and his agent all he wants, he has done nothing to warrant a huge contract and even if he did unless his name is Adrian Peterson he isnt' getting one as RB's don't get huge contracts anymore.

What in the HELL is wrong with some posters on this site? Why on Gods green earth would anyone, who calls themselves a Bills fan, insinuate the trading of CJ Spiller? In case you haven't noticed this organization is trying to accumulate talent to try and make this team a Super Bowl contender. Starting threads like this one is, IMO, stupid and asinine. Spiller played behind a subpar Oline last year that didn't allow him to use his number 1 attribute, SPEED. Doug Whaley and Co. not only drafted to help EJ Manuel, but also to help CJ as well. With the acquisition of Kouandijo, Richardson, Henderson not only should we see a return to excellence in the run game and CJ, we should see the evolution of our franchise QB. GREAT JOB Mr. Whaley, Mr. Brandon and staff.

Because those that do aren't homers and understand football and can give a non biased opinion of CJ that is how. CJ to me is no more than percy Harvin. I would have his butt returning every punt and back there with Goodwin on every kick off. He would be used in 3rd down and special situations.

The guy has shown he isn't an every down back. Why do you think we have brought in two new backs?

How do you figure. Right now CJ is the most expendable of the 4 RB's on this roster. He can't stay on the field and is good for a couple good plays a game. It is more than obvious the Staff wants a guy that can be an every down back and can pound the rock and stay on the damn field. Not have 1-3 big plays then pull himself out after each one.

And CJ can talk to Byrd and his agent all he wants, he has done nothing to warrant a huge contract and even if he did unless his name is Adrian Peterson he isnt' getting one as RB's don't get huge contracts anymore.

Because those that do aren't homers and understand football and can give a non biased opinion of CJ that is how. CJ to me is no more than percy Harvin. I would have his butt returning every punt and back there with Goodwin on every kick off. He would be used in 3rd down and special situations.

The guy has shown he isn't an every down back. Why do you think we have brought in two new backs?

Good for a couple plays a game? Cant stay on the field? We are homers or don't know football if we don't want to trade him? LMAO

There are days I hate coming to this board because of threads and posts like this. I wonder how many people here actually watch the games on Sunday past the first few weeks of the season.

Spiller has NOT been injury prone. Spiller last year had a HIGH ankle sprain, something MANY RB's suffer in their career because they are of high risk for it given the nature of their position. And its also Kryptonite for any RB, but even more so to one who's ability is rooted in speed, explosiveness, agility and cutting.

However, despite how painful this was, Spiller PLAYED THROUGH IT! He didn't sit, something I haven't seen really ever from a RB. This kid gutted it out because our team was decimated by injuries and damn near got us some big wins like the Cincy game. I mean he could barely walk on it and he still busted a long TD run that helped us take that game to OT.

He couldn't stay in games because he needed to sit at least 3 weeks and could be as much as 5 weeks to let that heal. However, with FJ playing hurt, our WR's hurt, our QB's hurt, he didn't want to sit and wanted to try and help keep this team afloat until everyone else got back. This guy should be celebrated for that kind of gutsy performance, yet this board dumps on him every day...the same guy coming off a HUGE season the year before as one of the most electric players in the league.

In the end, splitting carries, playing hurt, struggling through a TERRIBLE OL, dealing with injuries at EVERY other skill position...he STILL put up almost a 1000 yards and averaged 4.6 YPC.

This board is nuts...rather than be EXCITED about a GREAT draft, you are still dumping on one of the most dedicated, toughest and talented players on this team :wallbash::doh::thumbdown::death::censored:

I can't wait until all the same fools slamming him have to eat there words AGAIN like in 2012 when he shut everyone up...until he got hurt and they got their window to complain again. With our new weapons and more importantly, new OL players, I expect Spiller to see a LOT less stacking of the box and get into space where he will eat teams alive this year.

We have the makings of one of the most EXPLOSIVE teams in the league this year...you would think people would be excited for once.

Good for a couple plays a game? Cant stay on the field? We are homers or don't know football if we don't want to trade him? LMAO

There are days I hate coming to this board because of threads and posts like this. I wonder how many people here actually watch the games on Sunday past the first few weeks of the season.

Spiller has NOT been injury prone. Spiller last year had a HIGH ankle sprain, something MANY RB's suffer in their career because they are of high risk for it given the nature of their position. And its also Kryptonite for any RB, but even more so to one who's ability is rooted in speed, explosiveness, agility and cutting.

However, despite how painful this was, Spiller PLAYED THROUGH IT! He didn't sit, something I haven't seen really ever from a RB. This kid gutted it out because our team was decimated by injuries and damn near got us some big wins like the Cincy game. I mean he could barely walk on it and he still busted a long TD run that helped us take that game to OT.

He couldn't stay in games because he needed to sit at least 3 weeks and could be as much as 5 weeks to let that heal. However, with FJ playing hurt, our WR's hurt, our QB's hurt, he didn't want to sit and wanted to try and help keep this team afloat until everyone else got back. This guy should be celebrated for that kind of gutsy performance, yet this board dumps on him every day...the same guy coming off a HUGE season the year before as one of the most electric players in the league.

In the end, splitting carries, playing hurt, struggling through a TERRIBLE OL, dealing with injuries at EVERY other skill position...he STILL put up almost a 1000 yards and averaged 4.6 YPC.

This board is nuts...rather than be EXCITED about a GREAT draft, you are still dumping on one of the most dedicated, toughest and talented players on this team :wallbash::doh::thumbdown::death::censored:

I can't wait until all the same fools slamming him have to eat there words AGAIN like in 2012 when he shut everyone up...until he got hurt and they got their window to complain again. With our new weapons and more importantly, new OL players, I expect Spiller to see a LOT less stacking of the box and get into space where he will eat teams alive this year.

We have the makings of one of the most EXPLOSIVE teams in the league this year...you would think people would be excited for once.

Outstanding take!

It's a futile effort though, I'm afraid. Closed minds equal closed hearts. Folks that can't see the kind of player Spiller is and the pressure he brings bear on opposing defenses, don't WANT to see. His courage last year was nothing short of inspiring to everyone on that team and I felt for him because there were so many times a healthy Spiller would have had that extra half-step to take it to the house or the extra leverage to make a sharp cut up field vs. stepping out of bounds. He's the most dynamic player we have on offense whether his detractors want to believe that or not.

GO BILLS!!!