• Before preseason
    • Before the regular season
    • during the season
    • After the season
    • The OP is nuts and we are going to resign him to a new contract
    • We will tag him for the following year
    • We will tag and trade
    • We will let him walk

Was it an indictment on Spiller when Chan would stop using him?

To an extent. Gailey's answer of "it was Fred's turn," was pathetic and puts him at fault. Jeremy White harps on teams using a QB sneak on 3rd and 1 or less, and I agree with that. If I had to choose between Jackson or Spiller on a 3rd and 1, I'd take Jackson. The play that comes to mind is Spiller fumbling vs New England at home two seasons ago on the goal line. On the other side of it a 3rd and maybe 6 late in the game where Spiller ran to the huddle when I think Jackson was hurt, Gailey sent in Tashard Choice. That play was maybe vs the Titans or the Rams.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Dixon was brought in for ST and will be lucky to make the roster.

You always mention Spiller and short yardage but isn't it more of an indictment on Jackson who should be the guy getting the ball in short yardage situation?

Well they do run Jackson in the short yardage situations instead of Spiller. It also makes a lot of sense when you put a Wingo or Dixon (230 pounds) in rather than beating up a 216 pound Jackson or a 200(?) Spiller, when you only need to push the ball ahead 1 yard for a 1st down or TD. The big guy is not going to have any need a breaking it for 50, after a 1 yard TD and he has a good chance of bulling a linebacker out of the way. If it is a passing play, he can pass block or burst out for a 5 yard turn around as well as a scatback can and is bigger for shielding off a defender.

Edited by maryland-bills-fan

Only ways CJ goes are if he wants to go and a deal can't be reached, or he flat-out sucks/gets injured badly this season and torpedoes his value.

In case 1, he is going to be franchised and potentially traded after that; in case 2, the Bills have a hard decision to make, but hold better cards in a negotiation.

He will not be traded before the season starts unless Brown just dominates in camp or someone comes offering a first-rounder and more (which ain't gonna happen).

That is along the lines of what I am thinking. The team seems to be going in the direction of a power running game and more vertical passing game, rather than feeding the ball to a fast scatback and a tricky assortment of short passing and screens. (Chan is no longer the coach). Spiller is not a the best fit for this and there are cheaper running backs. Reflect that the Fritz/Chan/Stevie Johnson days are gone. Our #1 wide receiver is now a classic downfield guy and not the clever short pass partner with Fitz. They shipped Stevie and that was unthinkable a month ago. Will Spiller be worth $40M in the new system? Marrone is not a captive of our past and is showing a characteristic of doing what he needs to do to take the team in the direction of his vision.

Except for the fact that Watkins was huge in the screen game for Clemson... Spiller isn't going anywhere, it's Fred's days who are numbered. Spiller and Watkins are a threat on the perimeter, a "power" running game isn't going to happen and shouldn't. That's the old NFL. This team is built to attack all angles.