• Before preseason
    • Before the regular season
    • during the season
    • After the season
    • The OP is nuts and we are going to resign him to a new contract
    • We will tag him for the following year
    • We will tag and trade
    • We will let him walk

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2014/5/10/5703732/bryce-brown-traded-to-buffalo-bills-from-philadelphia-eagles

"........With Buffalo, Brown adds athleticism and depth to the Bills' running back position. Fred Jackson and C.J. Spiller are both entering the final year of their respective contracts, and Buffalo's trade for Brown gives them a viable long-term option at the position in the event that they can't (or don't want to) retain Spiller for the long hau

l."

Okay, Spiller hasn't really done that much here and the team is going in another direction. Is it take to work out a trade & new contract for Spiller and transition to the new era? Better to get something for him- maybe that 1st round pick back again?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.buffaloru...adelphia-eagles

l."

Okay, Spiller hasn't really done that much here and the team is going in another direction. Is it take to work out a trade & new contract for Spiller and transition to the new era? Better to get something for him- maybe that 1st round pick back again?

Hasn't really done much?? Fairly certain the NFL record book disagrees.

I would have said the same thing. But I also thought SJ would never get traded.

I do think spiller stays, plays out his deal, and they let him walk.

I very much doubt that Stevie would have been traded if we didn't make the MWilliams trade AND selected a WR in the first round. Those two moves together signaled the end for Stevie, otherwise we would have very much needed him.

The Bills tried to trade for Brown last year; the Eagles tried to trade for Spiller a few weeks ago but the Bills wouldn't even listen to an offer... seems to me that acquiring Brown is not a precursor to moving Spiller.

If the Bills can extend Spiller at a reasonable number, then they will. If not and Bryce Brown proves he can be relied upon to carry the load...

Way too many variables right now to make any kind of educated guess.

Brown is an insurance policy and likely replacement for Fred who as much as we all like is getting up there

I did get the impression during the season that Spiller isn't the type of bsck Marrone wants and that he prefers bigger backs.

Brown is 6 ft 223 lbs and timed in the 4.4's

Edited by Max997

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2014/5/10/5703732/bryce-brown-traded-to-buffalo-bills-from-philadelphia-eagles

l."

Either you're trolling, don't watch Bills games, or have the football IQ of a toddler if you think Spiller hasnt done much. Either way, at least we know not to read your posts.

Either you're trolling, don't watch Bills games, or have the football IQ of a toddler if you think Spiller hasnt done much. Either way, at least we know not to read your posts.

6-10 baby!! A thousand yard rusher, if you count yards parallel to the line of scrimmage. Teams fear him. (sic). 15th in yards rushing. 11th in yard per carry. Edited by maryland-bills-fan

If someone makes a good offer for Spiller I think the Bills will take it. But with 1 year left on his contract there is no way the Bills get a first or probably even a second for him.

I suspect the Bills will want too much so Spiller plays out his contract and walks.

No way the bills invest a 2nd contract in him as it would have to be at least 5y/40M with 16-20M guaranteed.

Can't see this franchise doing that.

That is along the lines of what I am thinking. The team seems to be going in the direction of a power running game and more vertical passing game, rather than feeding the ball to a fast scatback and a tricky assortment of short passing and screens. (Chan is no longer the coach). Spiller is not a the best fit for this and there are cheaper running backs. Reflect that the Fritz/Chan/Stevie Johnson days are gone. Our #1 wide receiver is now a classic downfield guy and not the clever short pass partner with Fitz. They shipped Stevie and that was unthinkable a month ago. Will Spiller be worth $40M in the new system? Marrone is not a captive of our past and is showing a characteristic of doing what he needs to do to take the team in the direction of his vision.

If Spiller has a great year, he will demand a big contract and the Bills will want to sign him and it will be a 50-50 chance. If he has a very good year the Bills will want to sign him and it goes up a little. He wants to stay apparently. If he is average then maybe, maybe not. I very much doubt we trade him. It's absolutely impossible to know as of today if we can or want to resign him because how he plays this year will determine everything.

The Bills tried to trade for Brown last year; the Eagles tried to trade for Spiller a few weeks ago but the Bills wouldn't even listen to an offer... seems to me that acquiring Brown is not a precursor to moving Spiller.

If the Bills can extend Spiller at a reasonable number, then they will. If not and Bryce Brown proves he can be relied upon to carry the load...

Way too many variables right now to make any kind of educated guess.

What is a reasonable number? The way RBs are being valued I think we could or would pay him less then he is being paid now! Serious Clark!

If Spiller has a great year, he will demand a big contract and the Bills will want to sign him and it will be a 50-50 chance. If he has a very good year the Bills will want to sign him and it goes up a little. He wants to stay apparently. If he is average then maybe, maybe not. I very much doubt we trade him. It's absolutely impossible to know as of today if we can or want to resign him because how he plays this year will determine everything.

I'm not sure about "big" contract. RB's just aren't getting the big money anymore, so big will be relative I guess. I think the Bills have the ability to resign him now that they've cleared Stevie's money.

What is a reasonable number? The way RBs are being valued I think we could or would pay him less then he is being paid now! Serious Clark!

Reasonable as defined by the Bills. You'd have to ask them.

I'm not sure about "big" contract. RB's just aren't getting the big money anymore, so big will be relative I guess. I think the Bills have the ability to resign him now that they've cleared Stevie's money.

Running backs aren't being paid much. Moreno got 1 yr/3 mil. I don't think any running back would get a 5 yr/40 mil contract going forward. If he has a huge year he might be able to get half that.