Gotta Love Doug Whaley

What a breath of fresh air from the conservative 'we'll get there' attitude we've seen for so long. People on TSW are lamenting the Watkins pick, but I love it. There are busts, mediocre players in the first round every year, and we made sure that we got a sure thing this year. And with the FA additions this summer, this organization's playoff hopes next year are clearly not just idle rhetoric. If there's one guy to bring the Bills back to the playoffs, it's Doug Whaley. CAN'T WAIT 'TIL SEPTEMBER!!!!!!!!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not madly in love with the deal. I do think next year's first is a huge price to pay to get up 5 spots, however, I actually agree with your sentiment. I love the fact that here is a first draft GM willing to say "here is the top guy on my board, I have a chance to make this happen and I'm going to back my convictions and the judgement of my scouts."

I feel that this is probably the draft pick that Whaley will live or die by as a GM. Because regardless of what happens in the ownership stakes, if the team doesn't win this year he has really given up his shot at drafting a franchise Quarterback next year unless he can find a hidden gem in later rounds.

Everything is on the table.

From this morning's MMQB article by Peter King, here are Whaley's words last night after pulling that trade:

“We’ve got to win,” he said. “We’ve got to win now. Fourteen years of not making the playoffs. Fourteen years. The people here deserve so much more. We need to give them more. We need to give them a winning team. We need to do it for the people of this region, and we need to do it for Mr. Wilson.

“I understand how big the deal is. I’m a competitor. I like our odds. I like our chances. The information we had made the decision for us. The player made the decision. I think I made the best decision for the Buffalo Bills. I can live with that, however it turns out.”

How any Bills fan would not like and respect Doug Whaley is beyond me. The guy gets it.

From this morning's MMQB article by Peter King, here are Whaley's words last night after pulling that trade:

“We’ve got to win,” he said. “We’ve got to win now. Fourteen years of not making the playoffs. Fourteen years. The people here deserve so much more. We need to give them more. We need to give them a winning team. We need to do it for the people of this region, and we need to do it for Mr. Wilson.

“I understand how big the deal is. I’m a competitor. I like our odds. I like our chances. The information we had made the decision for us. The player made the decision. I think I made the best decision for the Buffalo Bills. I can live with that, however it turns out.”

How any Bills fan would not like and respect Doug Whaley is beyond me. The guy gets it.

Let's face it - with new ownership coming in, Whaley needs to make himself relevant. Another conservative draft and another 7-9 season won't do it. If he can show that the team is actually improving and creating excitement, he stands a better chance of keeping his job when the new owners take over.

As for us as Bills fans, we're so used to mediocrity on the field and in the front office that we've forgotten what it feels like to roll the dice. Biggest dice roll ever was taking Kelly when he said he wouldn't come here, and I guess that paid off.

Not since the Butler and Polian days has there been a pulse in Buffalo's front office.

That was a powerful piece by King. Whaley's mentor--- Bill Nunn, a 46 year African American scout who found John Stallworth, LC Greenwood and Donnie Shell among others--- died two days ago. The sense of urgency in Whaley's comments was palpable and it's hard not to respect his guts and conviction.

Love it thank for posting this.

You don't win by being passive. I love the fact he is willing to be intelligently proactive. He has done his part (sans getting o-line help—hopefully today), now it is on EJ and the players.

I'm probably in the minority on this, but keeping hold of the 2nd this year was a coup. Yes, we gave the first next year. But the 2nd is more valuable now in trying to get this team one more starter and over the proverbial hump.

There was a article that had said that between Whaley & 2 other guys on his staff they had like 7 championships between them & if this is the way they got to those championships i'm all in B/C what we have done in the past sure hasn't gotten us any where !!

Plus after what they said about Cordy Glenn & to see what he has done for the Bills o Line to heck with what they all say !!

HOGWASH !!

if russ and doug knew for certain they would be retained by new ownership, they would have NEVER traded away next years #1.

this trade/pick was all about their selfish motives to keep their jobs.

I predict the bills will miss the playoffs and they both will be gone.

Thank you!

Well said!!!!!

CBF

which begs the question, why was this the year? 7 years without the playoffs not enough? 10? 13?

no one knows how this move will turn out. the history of the draft shows repeatedly that there is no sure thing. there's a fine line between brilliant and reckless. but actually trying to win right away is a refreshing change from the bills history of the last decade, for whatever reason.

If Watkins pans out, which I expect you have to ask...

Would you trade two ones for Fitzgerald? I would!!!

To your first statement, I'd temper expectations until he plays...

But to your second point, excellent perspective and I would have to agree, given that the BILLS are married to EJ at the present time.

And to the OP's point, I agree. Since last year, I've been a DW supporter and so far it hasn't changed. The rest of this Draft is very, very important considering what the BILLS sacrificed, but I think he's going to do well.

That right there shows balls and leadership...love it

If Watkins pans out, which I expect you have to ask...

Would you trade two ones for Fitzgerald? I would!!!

Thank you!

It makes me angry when people say they dont like the move but also complain that we never do anything to try and win now.

Its funny, I dont think many people would have been complaining if they gave up more to draft Clowney

CBF