Best case scenario - Manziel falls to #9 overall.

A very interesting scenario could play out for the Bills.....and that is that Johnny Manziel falls to #9 overall. It should lot happen, but it could because so many of the teams that apprently need a starting caliber QB are willing to wait until later in R1.

At that point I think the Bills' phone starts to ring off the hook.

Whether you like Manziel or you don't doesn't matter. He will draw interest from other teams and the Bills will likely be given multiple offers to trade down. Dallas is currently sitting at #16 overall and they just might be willing to offer up the farm to be able to select Manziel. We're talking about R1, R2 and R3 picks in 2014 and possibly a R2 or R3 pick in 2015. Whatever it takes.

I see this as the best case scenario because the Bills have definite multiple needs. They must fill glaring needs at OT and DE. To a lesser extent they could use another quality QB, a solid RB (Jackson and Spiller could both be gone next year), a more athletic TE, a big WR, more depth at LB, and more depth at CB and S.

OR........they could shock us all and select Manziel himself at #9 overall. One stellar QB can offer make up for many of those needs mentioned above.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Detroit has no interest in a QB at 10 so that reduces the leverage the BIlls would have in this situation. If the Bills asking price is too high and the other GMs know the Bills won't draft a QB, they'll just deal with Detroit -- then whatever the Bills are offered would look more like the standard value chart. Now an even better situation is a combination of things. If Manziel, Donald, the last of the 3 highest rated tackles, Ebron and/or Evans are all on the board at 9 and the Bills board has Beckham and Martin just as high as the others then the #9 pick becomes a target pick. The BIlls may get slightly more than the value chart for the nine. Like the Cowboys 1 and 2 for just the Bills #1-- gives the Bills an 80 pt premium.

Detroit has no interest in a QB at 10 so that reduces the leverage the BIlls would have in this situation. If the Bills asking price is too high and the other GMs know the Bills won't draft a QB, they'll just deal with Detroit -- then whatever the Bills are offered would look more like the standard value chart. Now an even better situation is a combination of things. If Manziel, Donald, the last of the 3 highest rated tackles, Ebron and/or Evans are all on the board at 9 and the Bills board has Beckham and Martin just as high as the others then the #9 pick becomes a target pick. The BIlls may get slightly more than the value chart for the nine. Like the Cowboys 1 and 2 for just the Bills #1-- gives the Bills an 80 pt premium.

In the case of Detroit having no interest in a QB, for the Bills to have the necessary leverage at 9 (assuming another team could deal with Detroit and give up slightly less) there would need to be at least 2 suitors for the #9 pick. But I agree with previous comments that Manziel should be gone by the time the Bills are picking but just how many QBs go before our pick could range from 1 to maybe 4 if things get crazy.

NFL experts' picks for where Manziel will be selected are all over the place. Anyway from the top 5 to mid R1 to later R1. Make no mistake about it that Johnny Manziel is worthy of a top 3 to top 5 selection, but that doesn't mean that he will actually be drafted there. The chances of him falling to #9 overall are pretty realistic at this point because so many teams are enamored with other players/positions first.

QBs Bortles and Bridgewater muddy the QB waters because some teams may few these two QBs as safer picks.

There are quite a few guys who are deserving of being selected within the top 8 including Clowney, Mack, Robinson, Watkins, Mattews, Lewan, Ebron, Donald, Bortles, Bridgewater. If eight of those ten players are sleected within the top 8 then Manziel falls to the Bills at #9.

The Bills would ideally prefer to select an OT like Mattews or a DE like Mack at #9 overall, but if Manziel slips to #9 overall suddenly they could end up with the #13 pick from St. Louis or the #16 pick from Dallas, select OT Z. Martin, and then add possibly additional picks in R2 and R3 this year plus maybe even a player or a late draft pick or a high pick in 2015. That would allow thenm to fill their need at OT (Martin is not very far from the top 10 anyway) and then be able to pick up possibly two additional starters with the additional R2 and R3 picks.

Pretty sweet!!

The Browns' GM going overboard fawning over Sammy Watkins and the fact that Kyle Shanahan is their OC tells me that Johnny Manzeil will be picked by the Browns at #4 and they are just worried that either the Jags or a team in the top 10 will trade ahead of them to pick him.

The way that rookie QB contracts are structured, it reduces the worry if he turns out to be a bust. Teams can move on much more easily today. IMO no way Manzeil makes it to #9.

A very interesting scenario could play out for the Bills.....and that is that Johnny Manziel falls to #9 overall. It should lot happen, but it could because so many of the teams that apprently need a starting caliber QB are willing to wait until later in R1.

At that point I think the Bills' phone starts to ring off the hook.

Whether you like Manziel or you don't doesn't matter. He will draw interest from other teams and the Bills will likely be given multiple offers to trade down. Dallas is currently sitting at #16 overall and they just might be willing to offer up the farm to be able to select Manziel. We're talking about R1, R2 and R3 picks in 2014 and possibly a R2 or R3 pick in 2015. Whatever it takes.

I see this as the best case scenario because the Bills have definite multiple needs. They must fill glaring needs at OT and DE. To a lesser extent they could use another quality QB, a solid RB (Jackson and Spiller could both be gone next year), a more athletic TE, a big WR, more depth at LB, and more depth at CB and S.

OR........they could shock us all and select Manziel himself at #9 overall. One stellar QB can offer make up for many of those needs mentioned above.

If Manziel drops to 9, there's a reason for it and I doubt anyone would be burning up the lines trying to trade into the Buffalo's spot to take him. If he's such a hot commodity, why wouldn't some team trade up to 7 or 8 to pick him? For that matter, why wouldn't Jacksonville, Houston or Minnesota, all of whom have utter garbage at QB right now, take him?

I swear to god, if they sign Johnny football I will find a new team

If this happens I will probably cry all night, wake up the next morning, watch all the stuff the Bills put out there about him, then go all Peoples Temple up in here.

I swear to god, if they sign Johnny football I will find a new team

Right, because he's proven he can't be an effective NFL quarterback. And of course the Bills already have an awesome QB situation.

I don't see him getting past Minnesota. More likely Dallas may want to move up for Donaldson. Which if that is who we get if the tackles are off the board I could live with it.

CollegeFootball 24/7@NFL_CFB 11m

Manziel out of 1st round in Casserly's mock draft 1.0 --> http://on.nfl.com/1juOCq4

Casserly is quickly becoming the "old curmudgeon" of NFL experts...While I realize there is a chance for things to fall out of Manziel's favor...The truth is projecting him to the 2nd round is a real big reach at this point...All it takes is one... B-)