All right, sources have reported back, and this happens next Thursday.

perhaps perspective on the gap from elite WR to the second tier -- if you look at the AJ/julio year the second and third rounders are greg little, torrey smith, titus young, austin pettis, hankerson, randall cobb, vincent brown, jernigan....

thats not to say that the two classes are identical by any means, but even at the high end of those guys (which are very good players that id enjoy on my team) the gap to Julio and AJ Green is HUGE in my opinion. IF they believe watkins can justify that kind of premium, id be hardpressed to argue against it. its the discussion between good nfl wrs to special nfl talents.

we have some good wrs, a good tight end... the prospect of adding someone special to that group is huge though. just a matter of if you believe that watkins is special.

I think there is a decent chance Watkins will be that special...But I still would not give up #41 for him...I'll take #9 and #41 in this Draft (especially for a team coming off yet another losing year) any day over Watkins, or anyone else in this Draft not named Greg Robinson...And even for Robinson it would be really, really hard for me to accept... B-)

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude. This is your brain. This is your brain on drugs. Sizzle sizzle, pop pop. Watkins is no Ginn.

Ginn was no Ginn when he was drafted number 9 overall. Watkins is slightly bigger, slightly slower. I'm just saying that Watkins' measurables are closer to Ginn's than to Megatron's, I don't see WR as a need worthy of giving up a second round pick when we've already spent our 6th on wide receiver and we have a lot of speed at the position.

The Ourlads mock is worth reading because they know what they're talking about. If nothing else, I love how they characterize Clowney's speed: faster than grass through a goose!

If they're to be believed, a) Watkins, who they see as a truly elite player, will be gone by 3, and b) the Bills projected pick, Ebron is a cut below the elite top end of the draft (i.e., "perfunctory effort"). I can see why the Bills may want to trade up.

http://www.ourlads.c...ock-draft/2014/

I don't know much about their pick for the Bills in rd 2, Donte Moncrief ( http://www.cbssports.../donte-moncrief ).

I haven't frequented Ourlads but the Bills Digest annually has Russ Lande from that organization do a question-and-answer on the upcoming draft and he's been usually different from the norm and usually wrong. (Ex: liked Nassib if I recall correctly)

I think there is a decent chance Watkins will be that special...But I still would not give up #41 for him...I'll take #9 and #41 in this Draft (especially for a team coming off yet another losing year) any day over Watkins, or anyone else in this Draft not named Greg Robinson...And even for Robinson it would be really, really hard for me to accept... B-)

To use NoSaints example and apply it to NFL players would you rather have the combination of Torrey Smith & Winston Justice or Julio Jones? That is what I think that we are talking about.

Ginn was no Ginn when he was drafted number 9 overall. Watkins is slightly bigger, slightly slower. I'm just saying that Watkins' measurables are closer to Ginn's than to Megatron's, I don't see WR as a need worthy of giving up a second round pick when we've already spent our 6th on wide receiver and we have a lot of speed at the position.

Totally different players and I am an OSU fan. Ginn was pure speed; a home run threat but his hands were inconsistent. Watkins is 1,000 times more physical. He is closer to Hines Ward than Ted Ginn. He is basically a faster, more athletic Hines Ward. He is a rich man's Torrey Smith. His game doesn't really resemble Ginn's at all to me. Edited by Kirby Jackson

Haven't read through 13 pages of responses but I see Watkins as more of a Ted Ginn Jr than a Calvin Johnson, so I'm against trading up for him. With Woods, SJ, Goodwin, Bardin, and Williams already on the roster not to mention Graham and Kaufmann (who may end up at tight end if he really is 245) I really think we have bigger needs then WR and can do pretty good in the mid rounds if the coaches feel it is still a need. Really don't want to give up a second round pick to land Watkins.

Ginn was overdrafted when we look back at now, but at the time I know at least 2 GMs who thought he was going to be really good. Even so, he has had a decent career but is limited. He struggled to make the easy catch early in his career in Miami but he can be dynamic. That said, I don't think he was ever thought to be in Watkins' class. Truth is, he isn't very bright and this has held him back in some ways in the NFL. This is not my opinion. Size wise, yes, Watkins height is closer to his than Jones and Green but not overall size. Watkins is built like a tall RB.

The thing is I'm not sold that he will make the impact you think he will, and giving up a 2nd round pick along with a proven starter or more draft picks is what I'd be unwilling to do.

This regime could almost instantly solidify the entire offense in this one draft if done properly. With a trade back I see at least three immediate starters on offense with a no later then #15 first round pick, and two #2's, and if they keep SJ in the process that is four starters. We both know that anything drafted after the second round is a total gamble with this team.

Will WR Mike Williams return to his 2012 form, and stay out of trouble? Will Chris Hairston return to his 2012 form? The best the guy has done is a 12 game season. Will Tony Moeaki return to his 2010 form?

So many unanswered questions about several players, and to go all in on one player seems like a huge gamble to me. Whaley needs to protect his chosen QB, more then finding a new toy that may or may not work out.

this^^

To the point of the dialogue..

It depends on how close one of those "elite " players fall to 9. The shorter the distance the more agreeable i become to a trade " up ". But i want to see them add picks and draft as well as last year. That was and is impressive.

I think its all hooey about the trade up excepting a perfect storm

Edited by 3rdand12

To use NoSaints example and apply it to NFL players would you rather have the combination of Torrey Smith & Winston Justice or Julio Jones? That is what I think that we are talking about.

Totally different players and I am an OSU fan. Ginn was pure speed; a home run threat but his hands were inconsistent. Watkins is 1,000 times more physical. He is closer to Hines Ward than Ted Ginn. He is basically a faster, more athletic Hines Ward. He is a rich man's Torrey Smith. His game doesn't really resemble Ginn's at all to me.

Another interesting example (on both halves). I'm not as all in on Watkins simply because I saw fewer games but a lot of voices that tend to have very similar takes to mine on other value discussions seem to be pretty all in on him. If he's truly THAT type of player I say go for it and sort the rest out later. Either ej or the next qb will thank you for it.

Edited by NoSaint

Another interesting example (on both halves). I'm not as all in on Watkins simply because I saw fewer games but a lot of voices that tend to have very similar takes to mine on other value discussions seem to be pretty all in on him. If he's truly THAT type of player I say go for it and sort the rest out later. Either ej or the next qb will thank you for it.

Or the next regime will thank them for it.

This GM has already made his mind up on what he wants to do, and if that is to move up to grab Watkins I'm fine with that.

Although, I highly doubt that one rookie skill player will be enough to propel this team to the next level, and get them to the playoffs. The biggest blockade to doing anything in the division goes thru the Patriots. Three of the five players on that O line graded in the red against the Patriots in both games last season. The newest addition to the Bills line at LG graded as the worst player on his team last year.

The history of this team the last ten years shows that every player taken past the second round doesn't stay with the team very long. So what the Bills do in the first two rounds are whats most important. If they choose to put all their hopes on one player....I hope he works out.

Well Kirby...That is definitely no where near what I think we're talking about...IMHO that is a terrible example based on the talent in this Draft...I'm talking about a player like Ebron (at #9) who has drawn Vernon Davis comparisons by some, and a player like Jordan Matthews (at #41) who has drawn Reggie Wayne comparisons by others...You can't have it both ways and assume Watkins is going to hit his ceiling while #9 and #41 just reach above their floor...So...Would you rather have Julio Jones, or an in-his-prime Reggie Wayne AND Vernon Davis? I'm not saying any of these players will reach these comparisons...I'm just saying I think what they can get in THIS Draft at #9 and #41 is going to absolutely blow away the combined value of Smith and Justice... B-)

My Sources have reported in...the extra two weeks is terrible and needs to be done away with...oh, also, Dareus ate Sammy Watkins. The Bills are trading their 1st round pick for the man who found it too complicated to change his name to "Hitner"

If true I would obviously welcome Watkins, but I'll also go on record against this deal because giving up a 2nd Round pick in this Draft is dumb, stupid, ill-advised, and...did I say dumb yet?

The deepest Draft in recent memory and we are going to give up #41? Ugh...I HATE that idea...Hate, hate, hate it... :thumbdown:

Yeah - I guess I wonder how the Bills OL gets better giving up the #2?

If Watkins is the next Calvin Johnson it's still a great deal, but all I hear is he's the next Percy Harvin which to me is barely worth the #9 pick by itself.

I mean, is that really better that getting a top OT and, say a guy like Kelvin Benjamin, who really could develop into a dominant WR working with his friend EJ Manuel? Getting both of those is entirely possible staying put, or maybe with a slight trade back up with the second.

A: Stevie Johnson, Matthews, Benjamin

or

B: Sammy Watkins

I take A.

Ginn was overdrafted when we look back at now, but at the time I know at least 2 GMs who thought he was going to be really good. Even so, he has had a decent career but is limited. He struggled to make the easy catch early in his career in Miami but he can be dynamic. That said, I don't think he was ever thought to be in Watkins' class. Truth is, he isn't very bright and this has held him back in some ways in the NFL. This is not my opinion. Size wise, yes, Watkins height is closer to his than Jones and Green but not overall size. Watkins is built like a tall RB.

The Ginn pick was almost universally ridiculed AT THE TIME.

Everyone was joking about how the coach was talking up Ted Ginn's father and what a great guy HE was. The Dolphins fans were livid.

Edited by BobChalmers

Well Kirby...That is definitely no where near what I think we're talking about...IMHO that is a terrible example based on the talent in this Draft...I'm talking about a player like Ebron (at #9) who has drawn Vernon Davis comparisons by some, and a player like Jordan Matthews (at #41) who has drawn Reggie Wayne comparisons by others...You can't have it both ways and assume Watkins is going to hit his ceiling while #9 and #41 just reach above their floor...So...Would you rather have Julio Jones, or an in-his-prime Reggie Wayne AND Vernon Davis? I'm not saying any of these players will reach these comparisons...I'm just saying I think what they can get in THIS Draft at #9 and #41 is going to absolutely blow away the combined value of Smith and Justice... B-)

I don't feel like he did that as badly as you think. I know justice isn't PREMIERE, but he was a second round pick that was extended by his original team at top 5-10 RT money though he's bounced a little the last 2 years. Torrey smith is a very good WR - I can't believe anyone would say that's barely above the floor of any second rounder. It's a pretty aggressively positive comment if anything. As for Ebron, what if Dustin Keller is the better comp point? Given Vernon broke 4.4 in the 40, it's hard to say Ebron will be quite as dynamic even on his best days though he still could be very good.

I was trying to use realistic comparisons (based on where guys were drafted as well). I like Mathews but he doesn't get seperation and is nowhere near Reggie Wayne (a HOfer). Torrey Smith is a solid WR (low end 1, high end 2) which is what I think that a lot of these guys are or will be. If there are 64 starting WR I think that Torrey Smith is around the 20th best. Some may be a little better and some will certainly be worse.

The chances of Watkins becoming Julio Jones are way greater than the chances of Ebron becoming Davis. He has less holes and flaws in his game. That is why he is considered safer than Ebron.

Watkins will almost certainly end up somewhere between Torrey Smith on the low end and the 2nd best WR in the league on the high end. Julio is probably somewhere right between the two (around the 8th best WR). They say that Watkins is ahead of him coming out.

Winston Justice was considered a 1st coming out (was often linked to the Bills) and has been a right tackle now for a number of years. A RT that many think will be picked in the 1st that the Bills take in the 2nd sounds like a fair comparison. No? I didn't want to take a bunch of pros at their floors or ceilings. I tried to take a range of players and use examples in the middle of that range. Watkins is skewed a little higher (maybe) than that because I (like most scouts) consider him a little safer. He is more likely to hit his ceiling because his game has less holes.

If you are looking for a TE comparison Greg Olsen seems fair to me as a guy in the middle of the range. If there are 32 starting TEs I think that Ebron can be anywhere from about the 3rd best to the 16th best. That is where I would get Olsen (who I think is about 10th).

I stick by the comparison and reasoning behind it.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I was trying to use realistic comparisons (based on where guys were drafted as well). I like Mathews but he doesn't get seperation and is nowhere near Reggie Wayne (a HOfer). Torrey Smith is a solid WR (low end 1, high end 2) which is what I think that a lot of these guys are or will be. If there are 64 starting WR I think that Torrey Smith is around the 20th best. Some may be a little better and some will certainly be worse.

The chances of Watkins becoming Julio Jones are way greater than the chances of Ebron becoming Davis. He has less holes and flaws in his game. That is why he is considered safer than Ebron.

Watkins will almost certainly end up somewhere between Torrey Smith on the low end and the 2nd best WR in the league on the high end. Julio is probably somewhere right between the two (around the 8th best WR). They say that Watkins is ahead of him coming out.

Winston Justice was considered a 1st coming out (was often linked to the Bills) and has been a right tackle now for a number of years. A RT that many think will be picked in the 1st that the Bills take in the 2nd sounds like a fair comparison. No? I didn't want to take a bunch of pros at their floors or ceilings. I tried to take a range of players and use examples in the middle of that range. Watkins is skewed a little higher (maybe) than that because I (like most scouts) consider him a little safer. He is more likely to hit his ceiling because his game has less holes.

If you are looking for a TE comparison Greg Olsen seems fair to me as a guy in the middle of the range. If there are 32 starting TEs I think that Ebron can be anywhere from about the 3rd best to the 16th best. That is where I would get Olsen (who I think is about 10th).

I stick by the comparison and reasoning behind it.

We'll just agree to disagree on this...Some of you are looking at this with some serious rose-colored glasses...But I accept that this could work out in a perfect world...This Draft could turn out to be less deep than projected and Watkins could become the next great thing...No question it's possible...If the Bills do it, all I can say is Watkins better become Julio Jones...And if that's the case I'll be more than happy to call him a Buffalo Bill... :D

Five picks in the deepest Draft in recent memory is what it will take...While the best teams in the league are stockpiling picks in lesser Drafts, the Bills would be trading away picks in the the deepest Draft...Sound like a formula for winning? We'll see...All I know for certain is this...San Fran...36 picks in the past 4 years, and the most picks this year...Seattle...39 picks in the past 4 years...The Bills past four 2nd Round picks...Aaron Williams, Cordy Glenn, Robert Woods, Kiko Alonso...All those key players in the same round were talking about giving a pick away...

So anyway...What I'm basically saying is this...If I was Whaley #41 in this Draft would be off-limits for a Trade up scenario...As would my 1st next year...If he can make something happen outside of that to move up and get Watkins or Evans...OK...Fine...But there is no way on Gods green earth I would give up #41 this year...It just does not fit with my personal philosophy...The same way Drafting Spiller did not, Drafting Whitner did not, Drafting Maybin did not...etc...All I know personally is every time I get these terrible feelings about something the Bills do in the Draft my gut usually ends up being right...Now admittedly I'm not always right when I get a great feeling about it...But that's another story... :lol:

Edited by KOKBILLS

We'll just agree to disagree on this...Some of you are looking at this with some serious rose-colored glasses...But I accept that this could work out in a perfect world...This Draft could turn out to be less deep than projected and Watkins could become the next great thing...No question it's possible...If the Bills do it, all I can say is Watkins better become Julio Jones...And if that's the case I'll be more than happy to call him a Buffalo Bill... :D

Five picks in the deepest Draft in recent memory is what it will take...While the best teams in the league are stockpiling picks in lesser Drafts, the Bills would be trading away picks in the the deepest Draft...Sound like a formula for winning? We'll see...All I know for certain is this...San Fran...36 picks in the past 4 years, and the most picks this year...Seattle...39 picks in the past 4 years...The Bills past four 2nd Round picks...Aaron Williams, Cordy Glenn, Robert Woods, Kiko Alonso...All those key players in the same round were talking about giving a pick away...

So anyway...What I'm basically saying is this...If I was Whaley #41 in this Draft would be off-limits for a Trade up scenario...As would my 1st next year...If he can make something happen outside of that to move up and get Watkins or Evans...OK...Fine...But there is no way on Gods green earth I would give up #41 this year...It just does not fit with my personal philosophy...The same way Drafting Spiller did not, Drafting Whitner did not, Drafting Maybin did not...etc...All I know personally is every time I get these terrible feelings about something the Bills do in the Draft my gut usually ends up being right...Now admittedly I'm not always right when I get a great feeling about it...But that's another story... :lol:

I am not dying to give up 41 either and certainly not next years #1 (we may need it for a QB). I was just trying to paint a realistic scenario (IMO) and be as objective as possible. I believe that Watkins will be anywhere from Fitzgerald to about Torrey Smith. I don't think that I am being too positive. From what I have seen and read from scouts I think that they would almost universally agree.

I was trying to avoid my favorite TBD argument, "Well, Tom Brady was a 6th rounder." There will always be exceptions but I shot for the norm. Either way the sky is not falling. If you trade up and get an elite player -great. If you stay put and get 2 good players -great. If you trade back and get 3 starters -great. There are a lot of ways to build a roster. I have full confidence that the Bills are prepared and will do what they think is in the best interest of their football team.

This whole deepest draft ever is an interesting take. I think people forget year to year drafts, but Mike Mayock had this to say about last years draft:

"I think we've got more depth for the first three rounds than maybe anytime you and I have ever done the draft<Rich Eisen> and I'm not sure that the fifth pick is that much better than the 20th pick. Or the 30th pick. The good news is I think there's a lot of depth here. And there are a lot of really good football players."

Sound familiar? This whole 'deepest draft ever' I feel like is rolled out every year, but the truth is, you won't know if it was the deepest draft ever until these players have been in the league for a couple years.

EDIT: The biggest difference between last year and this year is the talent at the top of the draft, those elite 6 players. They weren't there last year.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

This whole deepest draft ever is an interesting take. I think people forget year to year drafts, but Mike Mayock had this to say about last years draft:

"I think we've got more depth for the first three rounds than maybe anytime you and I have ever done the draft<Rich Eisen> and I'm not sure that the fifth pick is that much better than the 20th pick. Or the 30th pick. The good news is I think there's a lot of depth here. And there are a lot of really good football players."

Sound familiar? This whole 'deepest draft ever' I feel like is rolled out every year, but the truth is, you won't know if it was the deepest draft ever until these players have been in the league for a couple years.

EDIT: The biggest difference between last year and this year is the talent at the top of the draft, those elite 6 players. They weren't there last year.

Well...I think the record amount of Jr entries is the easy way to assume the talking heads are probably right about this year...It's not something you can predict...There are a crazy amount of Jr's in this Draft...It's really insane... B-)

I am not dying to give up 41 either and certainly not next years #1 (we may need it for a QB). I was just trying to paint a realistic scenario (IMO) and be as objective as possible. I believe that Watkins will be anywhere from Fitzgerald to about Torrey Smith. I don't think that I am being too positive. From what I have seen and read from scouts I think that they would almost universally agree.

I was trying to avoid my favorite TBD argument, "Well, Tom Brady was a 6th rounder." There will always be exceptions but I shot for the norm. Either way the sky is not falling. If you trade up and get an elite player -great. If you stay put and get 2 good players -great. If you trade back and get 3 starters -great. There are a lot of ways to build a roster. I have full confidence that the Bills are prepared and will do what they think is in the best interest of their football team.

I have a LOT of faith in Whaley...But I'm such a skeptic when it comes to this team the disappointments of the past clearly come rushing to the forefront when I see something like this rumored... Yesterday Whaley very clearly said the key to the time leading up to the Draft is to NOT show your hand...So I'm guessing if that is true these rumors are just a bunch of bull...And I'm worrying about nothing... :lol:

Well...I think the record amount of Jr entries is the easy way to assume the talking heads are probably right about this year...It's not something you can predict...There are a crazy amount of Jr's in this Draft...It's really insane... B-)

I have a LOT of faith in Whaley...But I'm such a skeptic when it comes to this team the disappointments of the past clearly come rushing to the forefront when I see something like this rumored... Yesterday Whaley very clearly said the key to the time leading up to the Draft is to NOT show your hand...So I'm guessing if that is true these rumors are just a bunch of bull...And I'm worrying about nothing... :lol:

Here is Whaley last night on the John Murphy Show. One thing I noticed is he kept his answer on Mack very short. And he said no trades would be out there just yet although there are talks going on but you would not want the teams to leak anything at this point.

John Murphy@JohnMurphyShow 9h

Complete audio: Doug Whaley: "Don't show your hand" http://ow.ly/2GelGU

Please allow me to posit a theory here: What if, and it's an enormous IF, the BILLS *were* actually trying to trade up before the Draft, but not for a player but rather for the purpose of acquiring more picks the day OF the Draft because it will inherently hold more value than possibly what they give up?? Follow me for a second, let's assume the BILLS were to trade with say, Jax from 9th to 3rd for their 1st (obviously), their 2nd (41) and SJ? The reason **may not be to Draft Watkins or Mack or whomever, but instead on the DAY of the Draft the BILLS would then be in position to acquire more picks in a trade DOWN scenario than they are now because assuming Clowney goes 1st and say, for sh*ts and giggles, Robinson goes 2nd to St. Louis, with the Browns picking 4th and Oakland picking 5th, the BILLS would be in a really good position to trade with someone who really wants to move UP while the BILLS want to trade DOWN and therefore a team like the 49ers or Rams who have a boatload of picks to give, could exchange their 1st round picks and give a couple of other picks to Buffalo, like two 2nds and a 3rd, which give the BILLS more flexibility because if the BILLS stay put at 9 and the following are gone: Clowney, Robinson, Manziel (Jags), Mack (Browns), Watkins (Oakland), Matthews (Atlanta), Evans (Tampa Bay), and Bortles (Minnesota), it leaves little currency as true trade bait. The "elite" players are gone and the difference between talent from 9th to 16th is relatively minor therefore, making a team's desire to trade UP and Buffalo's ability to trade DOWN more difficult...and, if there are no trade partners at say, 3rd overall - which almost certainly there would be, you still get the 3rd best player in the Draft, ala Watkins....just a conspiracy theory, since this damn Draft is dragging out like Susan Lucci's days on All My Children