7 Elite Prospects in the Draft

I would be shocked...Like floored shocked...if the Bills took Martin over Ebron... B-)

I would not be too shocked. Martin is a great lineman. If Jenkins lands in the 2nd round, you can get him there. The biggest improvement that needs to be made for next year is the OL, and run stopping. The Bills could also trade back into the first to get Jenkins, who I believe was a top 10 ranked pick prior to his injury. He's a beast.

If that is the case they can still get someone like Brandon Coleman from Rutgers in the 4th potentially. A receiver with some injury question marks but all kinds of skill.

I would LOVE that strategy. Mack in the 1st, top OT in the 3rd (still, prob a very talented one), someone like Coleman or Street (Pitt), Norwood (Alabama) or L'Damian Washington later in the draft. We could also take a flyer on either Sentrel Henderson (OT) or Colt Lyerta (TE) later in the draft. I'd go w/ Colt. The guy is graded by some as the 2nd best TE in the draft if not for his cocaine possession arrest.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would LOVE that strategy. Mack in the 1st, top OT in the 3rd (still, prob a very talented one), someone like Coleman or Street (Pitt), Norwood (Alabama) or L'Damian Washington later in the draft. We could also take a flyer on either Sentrel Henderson (OT) or Colt Lyerta (TE) later in the draft. I'd go w/ Colt. The guy is graded by some as the 2nd best TE in the draft if not for his cocaine possession arrest.

If the Bills can get Mack at 5 or 6 it will only cost them a 3rd (I think). This could happen if Robinson goes 2, Manziel 3 & Watkins 4. The draft could look like this:

-Mack 1st

-Moses 2nd

-Coleman 4th

-Lyerla 5th

-a punter 7th

I don't think his size is the limiting factor so much as the questions about his ability to make a living in the pocket. That is the biggest question mark scouts have about his transition to the next level.

GO BILLS!!!

The biggest thing going against Manziel now is Buffalo Barbarian's gold seal of approval.

. . . or the clock might expire on their pick and they might get skipped.

The meltdown here would almost make that worth happening. :lol:

If the choice is between Ebron and Lewan, I don't think the Bills will pick Lewan at 9. If you are going to take the third best tackle, you don't do it at 9. Take one of the other good tackles in the second or third round and grab Ebron in the first.

well if thats your view, then your going to hate what some mocks are doing...today they had a mock with 3 OT's going in the top 8 leaving Buffalo with the #4 OT at #9 - Martin...hows that sound to yea..:)

well if thats your view, then your going to hate what some mocks are doing...today they had a mock with 3 OT's going in the top 8 leaving Buffalo with the #4 OT at #9 - Martin...hows that sound to yea..:)

Sounds incredibly unrealistic to me. It a also says that Whaley is doing a good job playing the role of puppeteer. These media guys are lost if they think that is even a thought let alone a possibility. There is no chance that the Bills are taking the 4th best tackle (to play RT) at 9. If these are their options they will be taking someone else or picking somewhere else.

So, what your sayin is the Bills will either trade up, trade down or stay with their pick at 9?

yep.

I think they actually like Mack more than Clowny.

If a reasonable deal can't be made, they stay at 9.

If Evans or Mathews are available at 9, we take one if the two.

If they aren't, they attempt to trade down. If possible.

Feel better?

Edited by JaxBills

The biggest thing going against Manziel now is Buffalo Barbarian's gold seal of approval.

This made me laugh. But ya gotta give BB some credit; he' not afraid to put his opinion out there.

GO BILLS!!!

If the choice is between Ebron and Lewan, I don't think the Bills will pick Lewan at 9. If you are going to take the third best tackle, you don't do it at 9. Take one of the other good tackles in the second or third round and grab Ebron in the first.

That is subjective, I think Lewan is the best tackle in the draft.

I know the draft and have been watching it for years. It's always a few players that go in rounds 4-7 that make the most impact on an NFL team and seem to be the elite players in the NFL. It will be names that we barley discuss here on the message board.

Scott

I don't know wheat you're talking about.

Sounds incredibly unrealistic to me. It a also says that Whaley is doing a good job playing the role of puppeteer. These media guys are lost if they think that is even a thought let alone a possibility. There is no chance that the Bills are taking the 4th best tackle (to play RT) at 9. If these are their options they will be taking someone else or picking somewhere else.

Well, there are a couple of things to remember here:

1. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Just because many draftniks have Martin ranked as the 4th best OT in the draft, that does not mean that the Bills do. Where did E.J. rank among QBs according to these draftniks last year? Behind Nassib by most accounts. I would have to say that Marrone and Hackett probably had more insight into Nassib's prospects as an NFL QB than would the Mel Kipers of the world, for example.

2. Who is to say that the 4th best OT isn't worth a top ten pick? In last year's draft the top two picks were both OT -- and many observers feel that the top three OTs in this year's draft are better than those top two last year.

He does seem to fit the mold of the sort of linemen that the Bills have drafted successfully over the last 3 or 4 years. His ceiling s not as high as that of the top 3 OTs -- but his floor may be higher than any of them other than Mathews. That is to say that he probably has a much less likley bust factor than either Robinson or Lewan. In fact, I could see the Bills shocking many by taking him even if Lewan is still on the board.

I am not advocating taking Martin at the #9 pick. In fact, if the Bills really feel that he is the BPA at #9, I really hope they at least try to trade down, because I suspect they can still get him later in the round.

Well, there are a couple of things to remember here:

1. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Just because many draftniks have Martin ranked as the 4th best OT in the draft, that does not mean that the Bills do. Where did E.J. rank among QBs according to these draftniks last year? Behind Nassib by most accounts. I would have to say that Marrone and Hackett probably had more insight into Nassib's prospects as an NFL QB than would the Mel Kipers of the world, for example.

2. Who is to say that the 4th best OT isn't worth a top ten pick? In last year's draft the top two picks were both OT -- and many observers feel that the top three OTs in this year's draft are better than those top two last year.

He does seem to fit the mold of the sort of linemen that the Bills have drafted successfully over the last 3 or 4 years. His ceiling s not as high as that of the top 3 OTs -- but his floor may be higher than any of them other than Mathews. That is to say that he probably has a much less likley bust factor than either Robinson or Lewan. In fact, I could see the Bills shocking many by taking him even if Lewan is still on the board.

I am not advocating taking Martin at the #9 pick. In fact, if the Bills really feel that he is the BPA at #9, I really hope they at least try to trade down, because I suspect they can still get him later in the round.

Last year's draft is totally irrelevant to this years. It was considered a meat and potatoes draft. I will go as far to say as that it is possible that not 1 player picked in the top 10 last year would be picked in the top 10 this year -apples and oranges. The Bills have been seeking large OL and Martin doesn't fit that mold. In a draft with this kind of talent there is not a team in the world that is taking a solid RT prospect in the top 10. I suspect that they are trading up but would not rule out trading back. They are 100% not taking Martin at 9.

the pick will have visited OBD pre draft - all previous 1st rounders in this regime have...so you can bet this one will too (read: Zach Martin if Matthews, Evans, Watkins are gone)

I think I would prefer Ebron though, for the record

So there is NO way they are moving up and drafting Clowney???! Edited by snamsnoops

If Johnny was 6'3" 220 with all the same ability and arm strength he would magically be an elite player and the hands down #1 pick, can't wait till he proves the naysayers (c biscuit) wrong.

Yeah, but he's not.

It wouldn't be magic, it would be that he is bigger. And bigger than 5'11", is better.

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

I would not be too shocked. Martin is a great lineman.

My shock would be more due to the fact that I think the Bills, and especially Whaley, love Ebron...I just get the feeling they are enamored with the kid...

As far as talent to talent goes it definitely would not surprise me...I realize Martin is a solid player...Though I'm of the mind that he will be a much better OG than OT in the NFL...This is not a Cordy Glenn-type situation...Glenn has amazing length to go along with his athletic ability...I think Martin is going to struggle a bit with NFL edge rushers...But move him inside and he'll be a Pro-Bowler for years... B-)