4/25/14: Doug Whaley WGR Interview/Bills' Pre-Draft Presser

4/25 Bills GM Doug Whaley on WGR <11:49>

@buffalobills

#Bills pre-draft presser: Doug Majeski, Jim Monos, GM Doug Whaley and Kelvin Fisher meet the media.

BmFcltLCIAAL1x8.jpg

Jim Monos: "Watkins is like a Percy Harvin with the ball in his hands. He's special like that" on-par with AJ Green, Julio Jones in college.

Whaley on RD1 QBs: "I hope four of them go before we pick (laughs). If four go, we'll be ready, if none go, we'll be ready"

Whaley: TE position is trending towards basketball, athletic types.

Whaley on Sammy Watkins: "We think his traits are dynamic enough to overcome his lack of height"

Doug Majeski on Khalil Mack: "He's got everything we would look for in a LB" #Buffalo

Whaley: #Bills have one pre-draft visit spot still open. Deadline for visits is Sunday.

Whaley: #Bills defense/Jim Schwartz will seek to accentuate strengths of players, put in position to be most successful.

Whaley: DB Corey Graham "has the flexibility" to play both corner and safety. Likely in the rotation at both spots.

Jim Monos on 2014 WR class: "Depth-wise, we can go through every round. It's deep." could push other WR talent down the board

Whaley on trade for WR Mike Williams: "For a 6th round pick, can you get a player like him (in the draft)? It was a no-brainer."

Kelvin Fisher: "The depth of the RBs in this draft ... theres a lot of 'do-it-all' guys." early contributions + special teams play possible"

Whaley: "Sometimes you have to bring in a dimension you don't have, and a size WR is something we don't have" #BillsDraft

Whaley: "TE and RB are great friends to a QB" #BillsDraft

Whaley on drafting OT at No. 9: "If we can plug and play, and we forget about the position for 10yrs, why wouldn't we?"

Kelvin Fisher on top OTs in Draft: "Lewan, Matthews (& Martin) can play left and right tackle ... they are athletic enough to transition"

Whaley: "With the switch to the 4-3, we could use more DE depth." LB depth also mentioned.

Whaley on #BillsDraft: "We can take any position ... that makes our job easier. We can stack the board."

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We believe that when we needed him most, he always put us in position to win"

Whaley: "It's a QB-driven league ... our main focus is to make sure (EJ Manuel) progresses."

Whaley: "Never say never" on drafting a RD1 QB, trading on draft day etc.

Full transcript: Bills pre-draft press conference

Pre-draft remarks from President and CEO Russ Brandon, GM Doug Whaley, Director of Player Personnel Jim Monos, Director of College Scouting Kelvin Fisher, and Coordinator of College Scouting Doug Majeski.

Doug Whaley on Adding a Safety <2:00>

Bills general manager Doug Whaley talks about the possibility of adding a safety in the draft to replace Jairus Byrd.

Fisher, Whaley on Offensive Line Prospects <2:32>

Kelvin Fisher and Doug Whaley talk about some of the top offensive line prospects in the 2014 NFL Draft.

Whaley and Monos on Ebron, Tight End Class <1:50>

Doug Whaley and Jim Monos talk about the league moving towards athletic tight ends, Eric Ebron, and this years tight end draft class.

Doug Whaley on Trading Up <1:38>

Bills general manager Doug Whaley talks about the possibility of trading at this years NFL Draft. Doug Whaley on Trading Up

Monos on Wide Receivers, Whaley on Williams <3:32>

Bills general manager Doug Whaley talks about how the trade for Mike Williams came about, and director of player personnel Jim Monos talks about this years draft class.

Bills Roundup: Pre-Draft Luncheon Recap <4:36>

Chris Brown and John Murphy recap the highlights from the Bills 2014 NFL Pre-Draft Luncheon at One Bills Drive.
Edited by 26CornerBlitz

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think listening to Whaley the Bills are definitely in on trading up for Clowney.

Didn't seem that into Ebron at all.

Could all be smoke and mirrors but I truly believe the Bills will gun hard to trade up for Clowney.

I can envision a trade up for Clowney, Watkins, Evans, or Matthews.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

I think listening to Whaley the Bills are definitely in on trading up for Clowney.

Could all be smoke and mirrors but I truly believe the Bills will gun hard to trade up for Clowney.

Everything Whaley is saying is a lie. :) A month ago, he said the best game he say all year was Ebron against Miami. I'm proud of Whaley. Lie, lie, and lie some more. :)

I hope they trade down instead of up. They already only have six picks and they need more depth of talent on this team. Trade down in the first and pick up an extra pick and they will still get a very good player, plus another player for depth later on.

I hope they trade down instead of up. They already only have six picks and they need more depth of talent on this team. Trade down in the first and pick up an extra pick and they will still get a very good player, plus another player for depth later on.

The Bills have decent but not great depth. They could use a superstar player or two (or three)........

Everything Whaley is saying is a lie. :) A month ago, he said the best game he say all year was Ebron against Miami. I'm proud of Whaley. Lie, lie, and lie some more. :)

This. Everything he said today and until 5/8 is calculated.

Bingo

agreed on the lies.

but it may have been the best game he saw - doesnt mean its the best player though.

@JoeBuscaglia

Make sure you read this all the way through on Whaley talking about Clowney http://www.wgr550.com/Bills--GM-Whaley-talks-up-Jadeveon-Clowney-on-WGR/9034669?pid=397132 …

i dont think that its realistic for them to talk this years 1&2 next years 1 and the year afters 1.... i dont think thats what it would cost, and i think its very clear thats not a discussion we would entertain... but thats just me.

Last year at the pre draft luncheon (which is today) it was clear there was one QB they did not like. His name was EJ Manuel

Interesting

It also only took Miami's 1st and 2nd round pick to move from 12 to 3 last year

CBF

Edited by Canadian Bills Fan

I listened to the interview, and have been following the Schwartz scheme thing. I have a question for the folks who believe we could trade up for Clowney. In the 4-3 under article it says Mario Williams is the Bills fit for the 5,7,9 End. It also says Clowney is the best fit in the draft. Does Mario fit the other DE profile? Is it the right thing to do? IMO, if they could do this, it would be awesome to tweak the scheme and have these guys coming off the ends together. Seems like a no-brainer. Opinions?

I don't remember that. Roughly what was said? Thanks.

It doesn't come off as lukewarm as it did when you saw the video and heard Buddy's tone vs when talking about the other QBs. But here it is.

Q: Can you explain the perceived meteoric rise of Florida St. QB E.J. Manuel? Is it something induced by the darling of the NFL now, the zone read? Is that something that is kind of driving him up a little bit?

Buddy Nix: I really do not pay much attention to that stuff so I did not know he was making a move with the media. I would say that is probably some of it, yeah. The fact that he can run the football. I think in this league it is kind of a fad deal. Not saying that is a fad, but I am saying the league does things like that. It always comes back to you. You have to be able to throw the football in this league to win and to score. If you have a guy that can run it, he better first of all be able to make NFL throws.

Q: Can Manuel make the NFL throws?

Buddy Nix: I have not seen him make NFL throws. I have seen him make them at Florida St. He made throws and he was maybe a little inconsistent with it. He has plenty of arm and great athletic ability. It is just a matter of whether or not you can get him consistent in that part of it.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Transcript-Bills-Pre-Draft-Luncheon/eb2de99f-b3fb-4005-9301-4a68b419c8f3

i dont think that its realistic for them to talk this years 1&2 next years 1 and the year afters 1.... i dont think thats what it would cost, and i think its very clear thats not a discussion we would entertain... but thats just me.

I agree. No way they give that much up. Maybe I'm falling for the lies a bit but I believe he was being honest when talking about Ebron and seeing what they have with the tight ends already on the roster. He said a very similar thing when asked about drafting a Qb.

Joe B's stated price would be too rich. I don't think it'll take that to get to #1.