Who believes in Manuel?

Casserly, I used to listen to what he would say until I heard what Bill Belichick had to say about him...

Who’s been wrong more than Charley Casserly since he left the Redskins? His percentage is like a meteorologist,” Belichick said.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/04/belichick-whos-been-been-wrong-more-than-charlie-casserly/

There is a reason the guy is no longer a GM of an NFL team.

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's a reasonable assessment

EJ is our guy and i hope he makes it and everything

but really his college resume wasn't really all that much to speak of

they took a shot and we're all hoping for the best!

I agree it's a reasoned assessment. I disagree about hoping for the best with EJ because that means more losing seasons, more injury-riddled/didn't see enough of him BS. I want a new QB now!

While EJ may one day be able to be a starting QB, he obviously is missing the "it" factor. He does not have the ability to manage a game, think through the Defense, and attack it. I believe that is something you can learn but never be totally successful because it is not natural and under fire he will lose that ability.

For at reason I will go against he crowd and predict the Bills will draft a QB in round 1

I think that's in the eye of the beholder. Manuel never lost a bowl game and was the MVP of the Senior Bowl. That's not chicken feed. I think he just needs more experience at the NFL level and he'll be fine.

While EJ may one day be able to be a starting QB, he obviously is missing the "it" factor. He does not have the ability to manage a game, think through the Defense, and attack it. I believe that is something you can learn but never be totally successful because it is not natural and under fire he will lose that ability.

For at reason I will go against he crowd and predict the Bills will draft a QB in round 1

Wow, I totally disagree with that. I actually think he has shown that he has the 'it' factor with his ability to be clutch and lead great 2 minute drills to close out halves and games. How much 'it' factor are you really expecting a rookie QB to have, especially on a team still rebuilding as we were last year? Obviously he has to improve, but I think Manuel showed more promise that he can become a special QB than any other one we've had since Kelly. Fitz had flashes of great play but was/is a journeyman type guy.

And there are analysts saying Manziel should be drafted in the 3rd round (likely putting him behind at least 7 QBs this year as well) while other say he should go #1. Nothing against 'Casserly, he may be right and others may share the opinion. But there are some who don't, like the other guys on that show. It doesn't matter what any of them think in the end, he needs to work harder than everyone else, perform on the field, and be given the right development, coaching and team to succeed. That is why 6th rounders and UDFAs go to the SB and #1 overall picks are busts. The draft is still somewhat of a crapshoot no matter how much analysis you do.

it's a reasonable assessment

EJ is our guy and i hope he makes it and everything

they took a shot and we're all hoping for the best!

I don't agree with that at all

I think he's more Fitz than Manuel.

I'd give him another shot as the starter going into the season, but if it were up to me his potential replacement would most likely be plucked in the first three rounds of this draft. It's not his stats that bug me, it's primarily his awkward pocket presence and his short game. The more I've watched the more I've realized the lack of a screen game is due to EJ's inability to throw a screen pass.

The main reason I'd be willing to go into the season with him as the presumptive starter is because of his physical attributes, his personality, and his reputation for being a hard worker (and b/c he's from VA - Represent?). There's a lot to be said for that. But his feel for the game worries me, and the more I watch him the more it worries me. It also worries me that a 4 year starter for a major D1 college program is considered a project.

That's all very fair. Let's hope he can develop some of these raw tools. He certainly does seem to have the right attitude. But I am not averse to drafting a qb in r2 or r3.

"Based on their college career."

There is nothing wrong with that assessment, it's fair. It's also fair to say that no QB in this year's draft has more potential in terms of raw physical ability, either. And there's no discounting the one year head start EJ has in terms of NFL development.

GO BILLS!!!

As far as I can tell, Casserly drafted two first round quarterbacks in his career - Heath Shuler and David Carr. Both were monumental busts. In the case of Carr, Casserly's decision to draft him was the primary failure that led to the Texans horrible record in his tenure. I am not sure why anyone would take his opinions on drafting QBs at all seriously.

Obviously, huh?

I like him, and I think the coaching staff & front office will give him everything he'll need to be successful. He still has something to prove this season. Just show us sufficient enough progress to take us to 10-6, and that'll shut up most of the haters for now. Year 3 will be the decider for him AND the coaching staff.

So, if you're not certain about Manuel you're a hater. What's the neat name for those who are willing to blindly wait 3 years to make up their collective mind?

Can't agree with this at all. While he needs to be consistent in that regard, he demonstrated on several occasions last year that he can look at a defense and take what it gives him, especially at crunch time, especially early in the year before his knee injury. Additionally, he and Hackett showed promise in making halftime adjustments and moving the ball well to start second halves. That's shows an understanding of what defenses are doing and exploiting it. Consistency is the key, but that's not surprising for any young player, especially a QB.

GO BILLS!!!

those who believe in manuel are also likely to believe in the tooth fairy.

So, Manuel doesn't exist and is a fairy tale that parents tell their children as an excuse to give them a dollar?

Or are you implying that anyone that thinks EJ can be a franchise QB is an idiot?

Anyone that implied either of the above, well, I'd tend to think their credibility would suffer wildly.

So, if you're not certain about Manuel you're a hater. What's the neat name for those who are willing to blindly wait 3 years to make up their collective mind?

The 70%ers.

GO BILLS!!!