Better Draft Day (s) coverage: ESPN or NFLN?

I can only speak for myself...the reason I like Mayock so much is that he does a fantastic job of explaining exactly what it is that scouts & GMs look for in a player. More than any other TV analyst, he understands the process and the key points, and makes the effort to communicate the insight he has to the viewer.

That's what I like too and was trying to say above. He doesn't get into "this is a huge reach" as much as Kiper and a bunch of the others because he seems to see the process as meaning more than "who is the next player at that position on my big board?" He understands that a team might pick, for example, a defensive tackle who is 3rd or 4th on his list ahead of the guy who is 1st because he gives that team certain things that they are looking for in what they run.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the NFL network. They have commentators that can explain why a pick was made even when they don't personally agree with it. ESPN guys have to protect their egos to the point of having a tantrum.

agreed. also, last year ESPN was talking over picks it seemed. Very annoying. Will try NFLN this year. ESPN is slowly killing itself.

chris berman is a flipping idiot.......his analysis is horrible nowadays......if you moved kiper to nfl network then there would be absolutely no reason at all to watch espn but gotta admit i do watch both because of kiper only.

Agreed. I just turn it on for Novelty. Berman is on a downhill slide. Kiper is barely watchable at all nowadays. But it reminds me of the good ol' days. ESPN in general has went downhill with all that Tebow crap and Jets camp coverage which was useless, even for Jets fans.

• 3 weeks later...

If you like to get on Twitter during the draft and don't want to be tipped on picks, unfollow LaCanfora (if you follow him). Not sure how he would know though.

Chris Trapasso@ChrisTrapasso 23m

Anyone know if the big NFL insiders "tipping" the picks early this year again?

Chris Trapasso@ChrisTrapasso 3m

Guess I'll have to tweet thoughts but not look at TL. MT @johnnysmooth72: Sounds like LaCanfora will this year in a response I saw this am

If you like to get on Twitter during the draft and don't want to be tipped on picks, unfollow LaCanfora (if you follow him). Not sure how he would know though.

Chris Trapasso@ChrisTrapasso 23m

Anyone know if the big NFL insiders "tipping" the picks early this year again?

Chris Trapasso@ChrisTrapasso 3m

Guess I'll have to tweet thoughts but not look at TL. MT @johnnysmooth72: Sounds like LaCanfora will this year in a response I saw this am

Broadcast delay/commercial breaks. Remember 2012 when EVERYONE on twitter was tipping the picksand people threw a fit? Lacanfora was the only one tipping them last year after the NFLN and ESPN guys were told not to do it.

I do my best to watch them both but then again Im willing to admit I have a problem.

If I had to choose I would take ESPN. Mayock is good on NFLN but his surrounding cast is sub par to Espn

This precisely.

Love Mayock - the rest of NFLN is trash.

I like TBD! no one agrees and the agrivation between posters is halarious!

If the Draft Day thread is anything like the Game Day Threads, I have no doubt. Last season I wasn't able to watch the 1st half of one of the games as I was sitting at a birthday party I had to take my daughter too. I decided to peek at the GDT on my phone and as I scrolled through I was scared chitless, thought we must be down by a ton and was afraid to check the score. I got home at halftime and turned on the red zone channel - we were up 20-9.

If the Draft Day thread is anything like the Game Day Threads, I have no doubt. Last season I wasn't able to watch the 1st half of one of the games as I was sitting at a birthday party I had to take my daughter too. I decided to peek at the GDT on my phone and as I scrolled through I was scared chitless, thought we must be down by a ton and was afraid to check the score. I got home at halftime and turned on the red zone channel - we were up 20-9.

You tell the truth!

I always watched ESPN for the draft but in recent years it has gotten to be a huge panel and kind of annoying. I switched to NFLN last year on day 2 and found it to be better. Does ESPN still show the guy drafted before they announce the name? IMO I would prefer to be surprised.

Both channels used to show the player before the pick but the NFL put a stop to it as it was taking away the suspense.

I still watch ESPN but I agree the size of the panel and the numerous locations they are always switching to is really annoying. Just do the draft, that's all fans want. I don't even like the in draft interviews they do with various gms and owners, just do the draft, follow the picks and talk about them.

Edited by Max997

Why would they? We haven't made the playoffs in 14 years. I'm an optimist and believe this team is getting better where maybe we could hit a 10-6 record so we enjoy the press once we hit November, but I don't blame the media for giving us marginal coverage given the worst record in over a decade.

Why would they? We haven't made the playoffs in 14 years. I'm an optimist and believe this team is getting better where maybe we could hit a 10-6 record so we enjoy the press once we hit November, but I don't blame the media for giving us marginal coverage given the worst record in over a decade.

I didn't blame anyone or forget about our playoff drought. Just mentioned it.