Favorite draft pick by the Bills this millenium?

I'm going to go with Eric Wood. Is a beast at his position. Plays a key position on offense, and is one of the team leaders. Although some of the recent draft picks, Dareus, Alonzo, & Woods to name a few, show lots of promise, Wood has been battling in the trenches for several years now and has really shown his worth. Go Bills

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously. He struggled his first year & yet he still has 18.5 sacks in just 3 seasons. That is pretty crazy production for a 330lb NT/DT. He is just coming into his prime & will be a treat to watch next season.

I would've loved Can Newton but he went 2. DT's like Dareus are seriously difficult to find.

How wasn't the d-line dominant last season? They had 58 sacks. The reason the run defense was so bad was our horrendous LB corp. Kiko can't do everything. Spikes is a huge upgrade and Rivers should help as well.

Just curious, do you think sacks are the best measure of a defensive tackle's production? How do you know it was the linebacker's fault that the Bills could not stop the run last year (and the year before that)? Do you think a "dominant" defensive line gets gashed regularly in the run game? Do you think the Jets had a dominant defensive line last year, too? Do you think if the 2011 draft were held all over again tomorrow that Dareus would be a top 15 pick? Just curious.

Seriously. He struggled his first year & yet he still has 18.5 sacks in just 3 seasons. That is pretty crazy production for a 330lb NT/DT. He is just coming into his prime & will be a treat to watch next season.

I would've loved Can Newton but he went 2. DT's like Dareus are seriously difficult to find.

How wasn't the d-line dominant last season? They had 58 sacks. The reason the run defense was so bad was our horrendous LB corp. Kiko can't do everything. Spikes is a huge upgrade and Rivers should help as well.

Woah. Blaming the LB's was so 2012.

What about Lawson? Wasn't he a massive upgrade? Combined with Hughes rotating in, and the runner up DROY, I don't know if "our LB's were horrendous" is a valid excuse anymore. I doubt every long run was a result of Bradham/Moats.

Lawson/Kiko are either not very good, or the problem remains elsewhere. Wilfork has been one of the best DT's in the league, and his sack stat is not nearly as high as Dareus'.

For all the selfish reasons i was thrilled with Dareus. He was my pick over Von Miller and I was sweating it . I actually screamed like a girl when we Denver picked and then one more time when Bills announced.

Glenn was a thrill just as soon as picked. I had no idea that would happen. And that why i am thinking the Bills are getting the sh++t together lately.

EJ ! First QB i have experienced under my newfound (again ) fandom at the First pick. And I had no idea who Alons would become.

He as after the fact thrill .

That kid is just pretty damned impressive .

This year is going to not thrill me at No 1 . It will be the thought of trading and who we get in the second and third.

Damned fine query and fun to think about !!

I was stoked when the Bills select one Mike Williams in 2002.

What friggin disaster... Probably why so many on this board resist the idea of an OT at #9. Let's hope we do and get better this year!

I did not consider that. Good point Maryland

Kyle Williams, they said he had knives for hands.

:thumbsup:

What about Lawson? Wasn't he a massive upgrade? Combined with Hughes rotating in, and the runner up DROY, I don't know if "our LB's were horrendous" is a valid excuse anymore. I doubt every long run was a result of Bradham/Moats.

Lawson/Kiko are either not very good, or the problem remains elsewhere. Wilfork has been one of the best DT's in the league, and his sack stat is not nearly as high as Dareus'.

you have a good point . Very good actually. but the issue might have been more coaching a high risk defense The D line last year was a penetrating and disruptive line mostly.

Manny is a very good and smart player IMHO. And Kiko was a rookie.

They got out of postion or swallowed up on some of those big run plays.

As we know Hughes is nearly a pure pass rusher .

I actually thought Gilmore got out of postion too.

But to me it's still play calling that killed them .

Edited by 3rdand12

Are you an Oregon fan by any chance? Since you were big on Kiko and Byrd before the draft? I don't remember a ton of hype on them, so just curious. Both great picks by the Bills.

Im not a huge Oregon fan or anything, but I do see a lot of the Pac 12 here in Cali. I saw Byrd play a lot and was high on him going into the draft and stoked when we drafted him. Kiko I felt was the best player on the Oregon defense, but Dion got all the press mostly and a lot of that had to do with Kikos past. When I would watch games, Kiko was the guy who stood out throughout the games while Dion would have a highlight two only. I never thought we would take a guy like Kiko because the Bills always stayed away from players who had character concerns. I was stoked when we drafted him. I had threads up about him potentially being DROY before preseason even started because I thought so highly of him.

Even with the runner up for DROY, that's only 25% of the LB corp. The Bills' have had a truly terrible group of LBs the previous few seasons.

LB are a major part of the run defense especially when you a run a 34. The whole point of the 34 is to let your LBs do all the work; tthe line just occupys blockers to let the LBs make plays.

I don't think Lawson was a major upgrade either. Def an improvement over what the train wreck they had. A player like Brandon Spikes is a major improvement to your LB corp

We didn't run a whole lot of 34 though.... I don't know why people still talk as though we did. I think the conversation is for a different thread - but to bring it back to point somewhat Marcel Dareus had a very good year last year. I'm not sure, to answer the question asked, that he would be a top 15 pick (althought the recent NFL.com 2011 do-over had him going 13 to the Lions) I am all but certain that his NFL production is enough that he would still be a first rounder without doubt.

Just curious, do you think sacks are the best measure of a defensive tackle's production? How do you know it was the linebacker's fault that the Bills could not stop the run last year (and the year before that)? Do you think a "dominant" defensive line gets gashed regularly in the run game? Do you think the Jets had a dominant defensive line last year, too? Do you think if the 2011 draft were held all over again tomorrow that Dareus would be a top 15 pick? Just curious.

Much of it was on the LBs, yes. Kiko, for all he did in this defense, still had his issues in run support. Lawson is a good player as well; a huge upgrade over what we had. Obviously the 3rd LB spot was a weak point.

Some of the issue has to do with scheme, and what the specific players are asked to do...in a read-and-react defense like Pettine's, LBs are often prone to big mistakes. Kiko made more than his share, as did Lawson and Moats. That doesn't meant that they're bad players, or unfit to play the run; it just means that they may have needed more than 1 year to get their assignments down.

See my answer above...it's not one particular thing, but a combination of factors. Adding Spikes will certainly help.

Has to be Kyle Williams in the 5th round.

Others like Steve Johnson (7th rd), Sammy Morris, Terrence McGee, Levitre, Byrd, Wood, A.Williams, Dareus, Glenn, Gilmore and Kiko were all good ones. Really hope EJ ends up being the best, 5 years from now when we look back though.