First round pick must be a pass rusher.

With the loss of Byrd at FS, I'm convinced we will go after a DE to go with Mario on the opposite side. Corey Grahams a good enough DB, but those are some huge shoes to fill back there. I'm not too confident in Aaron Williams back there, either.

Our defensive backfield didn't have such a great year last year, and hopefully the injury bug takes a longer tour in another city this year. As they say, a consistant pass rush does wonders for the secondary. I'm lookin for the bills to be aggressive and go after either Mack or Clowney.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You lost me at the lack of confidence in Aaron Williams. He looks like he is about to become an elite safety. McKelvin improved greatly and Gilmore was really good over the last 4 weeks. That goes without mentioning Graham or Robey.

Obviously, no one would be upset with Clowney or Mack but it is not likely.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

The secondary had a good year first, as our strength was in pass defense. We were terrible against the run hence we finish 10th overall in defense, and 8th until final week when NE killed us, but we still finish 10th. We had an excellent secondary, and quite surprised what Pettine accomplished in his short tenure.

A. Williams and McKelvin really turned the corner, Searcy played much better, Robey was a gem. We plug holes at Safety with Graham if it works out, we add to run stopping with the LB pick ups and Kiko goes to the Wil where he will be even better this year with his speed. We improved on the run significantly with Spikes as I love that pick up.

All that said, I understand to make an absolute punishing defense if we have an incredible talent at DE, go for it. The problem with Mack is he is meant for a 3-4 OLB and will do well in the NFL. He is not a 4-3 DE. I don't see us taking him unless Schwartz is willing to start for the first time running an exotic 3-4 like Pettine, Ryan, and so on.

Clowney will never be there so who is so impactful to take him at 9 as I doubt we move up. We're going to most likely take the most impactful offensive player at 9 as they will assess if it is RT, WR, TE with the usual suspects. Coaches and Managers lose jobs when their QB pick doesn't work out. They will add talent to offense to make it easier to do better in the pass. Look at Marrone's choices to hire different and more coaches, add a QB coach, so he knows he must show improvement in year 2 in his offense. Watch in this draft how we add lineman, and skill players to get a more talented group around EJ. We already have an excellent running game.

They look silly if the pass does not improve from 28th last year. I know if we maintain our run game, and we pass better moving the chains, the current defense moves from top 10 to top 5. They were on the field too long last year. In EJ they trust.

I don't agree with the A. Williams part, but it would not surprise me if a pass rusher were to land in Buffalo's lap. If that happened, they could decide it's a better option than say a top WR or TE. Teams are finding ways to rush the passer from both sides these days. The days of having the best pass rusher only on the QBs blind side are gone. Every offense has their best tackle on that side.

In regard to all of this, the RT position has become as important as the LT position because defenses are attacking the weak link instead of simply putting their best rusher on the QBs blind side, they are bringing heat on the other side as well. Look what happened to Buffalo this past year. Our RT gave up a lot of sacks because he was easy pickings.

Point is, teams are bringing heat to both sides. It is not uncommon to see a team with 2 premier pass rushers and it is not uncommon to see teams with 2 premier tackles. The RT and LDE have very much increased in value.

Edited by Rockinon

I don't agree with the A. Williams part, but it would not surprise me if a pass rusher were to land in Buffalo's lap. If that happened, they could decide it's a better option than say a top WR or TE. Teams are finding ways to rush the passer from both sides these days. The days of having the best pass rusher only on the QBs blind side are gone. Every offense has their best tackle on that side.

In regard to all of this, the RT position has become as important as the LT position because defenses are attacking the weak link instead of simply putting their best rusher on the QBs blind side, they are bring heat on the other side as well. Look what happened to Buffalo this past year. Our RT gave up a lot of sacks because he was easy pickings.

Point is, teams are bringing heat to both sides. It is not uncommon to see a team with 2 premier pass rushers and it is not uncommon to see teams with 2 premier tackles. The RT and LDE have very much increased in value.

Awsome and spot on! With this in mind, how can we pass on an OT at 9 especially if Evans is gone and Mathews falls to 9? We can't! If Evans is there I still go OT but wouldn't be very upset with Evans. IMHO, we need OL help in a big way!

My brain says Mack, but my heart tells me Clowney. I'd pick Blake Bortles.

Thats the ether mixture talking. Move it to the passenger side . letting the others take the brunt.

When you feel weak enough lick the matchstick again . :flirt:

Mack no clowney . Let Jim make it work . 3-4 4-3 under over multiple .

Now where's that mescaline ?

Well, apparently this was serious.

In a word: No.

In two words: Hell no!

Look, I understand the value of a punishing defensive line. And I would love to see a developmental player in rotation as a 4-3 DE, but I don't see anyone in the top 10 that I would love to have besides Clowney, who the Bills have almost zero chance of getting.

If were going pass rusher I want Anthony Barr and plop him right down at the RDE spot opposite Mario for the rest of Mario's career and watch both of them become hall of Famers.

Mark it down, Barr will be the best defensive player in this draft.

With the loss of Byrd at FS, I'm convinced we will go after a DE to go with Mario on the opposite side.

Why does the loss of Byrd convince you were going defensive end? I assume you mean since we're weaker in the backfield the way you help it is get a better pass rush, but you didn't say that.

Take an offensive tackle #1- it's the smart thing to do. Helps the running game and gives EJ more time back there which will help the passing game too. WR is a need too but O-line improvement will make more of an impact.

Take an offensive tackle #1- it's the smart thing to do. Helps the running game and gives EJ more time back there which will help the passing game too. WR is a need too but O-line improvement will make more of an impact.

exactly.

#1- OT - likely Lewan

#2- TE - likely Austin sefarian Jenkins

#3- QB - likely AJ McCarron