Houston looking to trade 1st pick (Buffalo?)

No...

What has Watt, with all his incredible ability, got the Texans really? He's one piece in what has been a good to very good Defense over these past three years...They made the Playoffs 2 out of his 3 years, and are 2-2 in 4 Playoff games with Watt...They got thumped on the road in the Playoffs 2 consecutive years...

Watt is an incredible talent...But he can't win anything all by his lonesome, and he especially can't win anything without a good QB on his team...If a team was going to give up a ton for a JJ Watt-type talent they better be darn sure they are a JJ Watt-type talent away from a legit SB run...Because at the end of the day he's just one out of 11 on Defense...And he's not a QB... B-)

+1 Watt is a very talented player but I swear some people on this board think he's the second coming. I'm surprised some people have time to type with having their hands so occupied in Watts jock and all.

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you, agardin. Thank you very much.

I would have used Dunn, but I thought it would be too much of a stretch for some.

I think that Mario's contract is livable, but as we get better I would image in the next couple of years they may have to fiddle with it, at the very least.

No problem Dollars, here's to the chiefs in Florida.

I am completely against moving up especially in this deep draft

Yah but when ever conventional wisdom tells you one thing the Bills do the exact opposite .

Last year every one said there wasn't a QB worthy of the first round what did the Bills do ? Take a QB in the first round !

4 Years ago we had 2 good running backs Lynch & Fred , what did the Bills do with their first pick CJ at 9 .

Then if you look back at other picks like when Orapko, & Matthews were sitting there for the taking & we past over them it just fortifies the argument !

So if you try to figure out the brain trusts in this camp you'll be like a dog chasing your tail .

The depth of the draft is irrelevant if the Bills think that their needs are minimal. If they feel that they only have a few holes left than they will do everything in their power to get the best players they can at those positions.

Think about it like grocery shopping. If I gave you a $50 bill and said that you need to spend it all in one trip how would you do it? The answer is, it depends. If I am out of everything I would try to get as many items as I could (drinks, breakfasts, lunch, snacks, dinner, condiments, etc...). If my fridge and pantry were full I may use that $50 on steaks or lobsters. Your $50 doesn't go as far that way but the quality is far superior.

The depth of the draft is irrelevant if the Bills think that their needs are minimal. If they feel that they only have a few holes left than they will do everything in their power to get the best players they can at those positions.

Think about it like grocery shopping. If I gave you a $50 bill and said that you need to spend it all in one trip how would you do it? The answer is, it depends. If I am out of everything I would try to get as many items as I could (drinks, breakfasts, lunch, snacks, dinner, condiments, etc...). If my fridge and pantry were full I may use that $50 on steaks or lobsters. Your $50 doesn't go as far that way but the quality is far superior.

Nice analogy.

Yeah man...nothing beats a nice grass fed ribeye

Sorry...that was off topic

Yah but when ever conventional wisdom tells you one thing the Bills do the exact opposite .

Last year every one said there wasn't a QB worthy of the first round what did the Bills do ? Take a QB in the first round !

4 Years ago we had 2 good running backs Lynch & Fred , what did the Bills do with their first pick CJ at 9 .

Then if you look back at other picks like when Orapko, & Matthews were sitting there for the taking & we past over them it just fortifies the argument !

So if you try to figure out the brain trusts in this camp you'll be like a dog chasing your tail .

Well...

I think it can be easily argued that while it may not have been convention wisdom around the league that a QB was worthy of a 1st round pick last year, most Bills fans knew there was a very, very, good chance they were going to take one in the 1st anyway...

And with the exception of the EJ Draft pick all that other stuff you mentioned was done under other leadership...Maybin was a Jauron pick...Spiller a Nix/Gailey special...Whaley is his own man, and it seems to me more calculated and Pittsburgh Steelers-pragmatic than those before him...And I said that as kindly as I could...

A better way of saying it would be that Whaley, IMHO, is smarter...And I fail to see the intelligence of giving up picks in what most scouts are saying is the deepest Draft in the past decade...So...I doubt very much convention wisdom will be damned at OBD...I think Whaley sticks to the plan, maybe even trades down a couple spots...It would really shock me if they gave up anything in 2014 to trade up

I understand what you're saying Kirby, but the fact is most scouts I read are saying the difference in talent in this Draft, especially through the 1st round, is minimal...For example...Is there really that big a difference between Matthews and Lewan? Watkins and Evans? Maybe as a rookies...But beyond that? The Bills are sitting in a nice spot at #9...There is not much of a difference in what you're going to get talent-wise in a trade up with the possible exceptions of Clowney and Robinson...One ex NFL Scout I follow has prospects from #4 to #35 overall within three tenths of a grade point to each other...Which is really, really close...That same scout had double the grade differential from #4 to #35 last year...The problem with going up to get something big is obvious...You have to give up something that is potentially big...Kiko went #46 overall last year...The player the Bills would be giving up at #41 this year will have a MUCH higher grade than Kiko did last year...IMHO it's not worth the risk...

I think in a Draft that is very top heavy your argument has merit if you assume a team is truly close to being a legit contender...Which is a completely different point of contention with this current Buffalo Bills team...

I really respect Whaley...I like him a lot...I think it's over-reading his comments if you're assuming they lend credence to a trade up scenario...All he was saying is the Bills have no glaring needs which lessens the possibility of forcing a pick...He was not saying the Bills have no needs...He was simply saying it helps them stick with their board and get the best possible player where they Draft...Whaley just strikes me as the type of GM who can't have enough picks because he's ultra-confident in his scouting department at this point...I just don't think he's interested in giving up premium Draft picks...But we'll see... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

KOKBILLS, I don't disagree. I am not saying that Evans or Lewan are Spam. I was just saying if you think that Watkins upside is AJ Green vs. Moncrief being a Stevie Johnson (I know that they are different types of players) ceiling than go for it. Use the 2nd that you may spend on Moncrief to o get Watkins. I am not saying definitely but if they think they are close (which as you said is debatable).

It all depends what you do with the picks, What did the Browns do with the extra picks they got for trading with ATL so ATL they could get Julio Jones? Nothing. The Browns have been trading down for years and missing out on difference making players and QBs so they can get more picks. They haven't done much with the picks though! We'll see if Farmer changes the course this year.

I will try to give a realistic example of my thinking because I haven't done a very good job painting the picture. Are the Bills a better team with Lewan, Moncrief and Jackson Jeffcoat or with Sammy Watkins and Joel Bitonio? Obviously, no one knows at this point but this is the kind of debate that they are going through when considering trading up.

Wow, I've trudged through almost all of this, and I'm still not sure what to think.

My conclusion, the only huge difference maker at 1 (vs. 9), is Clowney. If the Bills can swing a reasonable trade to get him, I would be okay with that. Other than that, I see no need to do it. It appears there will be guys there at 9 whom can make a difference right away (previous Bills draft history aside, they can't really blow it that bad this time, can they?)

Lol. I like this a lot.

Man now im hungry too.

The Bills should do it if they think Clowney is a once in a generation kind of DE/pass rusher and can get a great deal done to move up.

If Clowney is the real deal, the Bills would have the best pass rush in the league now. Imagine a front four of Clowney, K.Williams, Dareus and M.Williams. Wow...

BUF trades CJ Spiller and their RD1#9 to Houston for the first overall pick.

1 1 Khalil Mack DE43 Buffalo (or Clowney)

2 41 Jordan Matthews WRF Vanderbilt

3 73 A Seferian-Jenkins TE Washington or Niklas TE Notre Dame (I prefer Niklas). Tiny Richardson?

4 109 Lache Seastrunk RBF Baylor --- Here's your Lightning...

5 149 Terrance West RBF Towson --- ...And your Thunder (Andre Williams also there)

6 185 John Urschel OG Penn State --- smartest OG in the draft

7 224 Cornelius Lucas OT Kansas State*

*Lucas was midrounder but stress fracture in left foot, suffered during pre-Combine and didn't work out for NFL teams prior to draft. Developmental prospect, has OTs' longest arms (36 3/4"), 10" hands, and size (6-8, 316).

BUF trades CJ Spiller and their RD1#9 to Houston for the first overall pick.

1 1 Khalil Mack DE43 Buffalo (or Clowney)

2 41 Jordan Matthews WRF Vanderbilt

3 73 A Seferian-Jenkins TE Washington or Niklas TE Notre Dame (I prefer Niklas). Tiny Richardson?

4 109 Lache Seastrunk RBF Baylor --- Here's your Lightning...

5 149 Terrance West RBF Towson --- ...And your Thunder (Andre Williams also there)

6 185 John Urschel OG Penn State --- smartest OG in the draft

7 224 Cornelius Lucas OT Kansas State*

*Lucas was midrounder but stress fracture in left foot, suffered during pre-Combine and didn't work out for NFL teams prior to draft. Developmental prospect, has OTs' longest arms (36 3/4"), 10" hands, and size (6-8, 316).

Intetesting thought with Spiller Astro. His names immediately came into my head when I heard the rumors of the Bills going up to #1.

Posted this elsewhere, Mack & Clowney don't fit the size that Marrone covets. Clowney has the height but he is nearly 40 lbs lighter than Mario Williams. If we are trading up it has to be for an offensive tackle, IMO.

Marrone covets speed (see my sig). Size with speed is more better good.

Marrone inherited Mario. What size was Mario when he came into the league?

Marrone isn't the DC. What does the DC covet?