Houston looking to trade 1st pick (Buffalo?)

You can't compare Jordan to Barr and where he would go now. Jordan was thought of as the best pass rusher in last years draft. Hence why the Dolphins went up and got him.

And that's my point, the Bills wouldn't be trading up for a QB. It's a possibility that a QB won't even go top #4. So that price the Redskins paid already isn't there. The Texans wouldn't really be able to fleece anyone for a ton of picks because that franchise QB isn't there, like it was when St. Louis traded out.

I'm not saying it still wouldn't take a lot, just not maybe automatically two #1's.

I hear you...The point with Barr and Jordan was just comparing the talent from last year to this year...I think they are comparable players...I like Jordan more no question...But I still think they are comparable, and I think Barr is the better pure pass rusher of the two (and I'm not a big Barr fan) with Jordan being the more complete player...Compare their last 2 years in College and Barr had 11 more sacks than Jordan...So anyway...IMHO Jordan is still a borderline top 10 pick if he's in this Draft...In last years Draft I think he was absolutely worthy of #3 overall...Thus the difference in talent and why it will likely take a lot more to move up...

And yes the Bills are not trading up for a QB...But in this completely hypothetical situation they would be trading up for a player considered to be a once-in-a-decade-type...So it still gets back to how much competition there is for the pick...I doubt very much the Bills are the only team interested in trading up for Clowney...There is just as much buzz about Atlanta wanting to get up for him, maybe more buzz...But the Falcons pick 6th...So if the Bills are in competition with the Falcons they have to give up more...If anyone above the Falcons wants to take a stab at #1 overall the price goes up...And so on...That's how this can get out of hand and too rich for the Bills quickly...

Last year Oakland was hellbent on getting out of #3...Because the demand obviously was not much...or just because they are the Raiders...they took what they could get...If the same thing happens this year with the Texans, and the Bills are bidding against themselves, then sure...I could see it being less than 2-1st's, a 2nd, and something else...But I doubt that's the case this year...Maybe I'm wrong...If the only thing the Bills have to give up is a 2nd round pick to get to #1 then I'm all ears...Though I personally would take Robinson over Clowney...But that's a whole different discussion... :lol:

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best and only realistic way to get to number one is if Buffalo trades up twice.

Something like:

9, 73 and next year's 3rd for 5

Then:

5, 41, next year's 2nd and a player for 1 (someone like Jerry Hughes or Manny Lawson).

So it'd be 9, 41, 73, next year's 2nd and 3rd along with one player who may not have a role this year for the first pick.

Very steep price, but that's the kind of stuff you have to pay.

I really hope this rumor is false. For those who think it would be a good idea for the Bills to move up to take Clowney (or anyone else), please remind of one time that a team has bundled a bunch of picks to move into the top five and it has worked out well.

Cornelius Bennett, 1987. Gave up two #1s, a 2nd, and Greg Bell. In return we got the player that put our defense over the top in terms of tipping the scales in the AFCE and then in the AFC.

Many, many fans thought Polian was nuts.

History proved him to be worth every bit of the price.

GO BILLS!!!

Cornelius Bennett, 1987. Gave up two #1s, a 2nd, and Greg Bell. In return we got the player that put our defense over the top in terms of tipping the scales in the AFCE and then in the AFC.

GO BILLS!!!

I really think that it is a realistic possibility. The point that we seem to be overlooking a little is that the team is for sale. If the Bills can land a franchise type player like Clowney and grow their Season Ticket base by 10k, corporate sponsorship rev, etc... it drives up the sale price. I fully expect the Bills to try to hit a home run in this draft. Maybe they won't be able to pull it off but it won't be for a lack of effort.

I really think that it is a realistic possibility. The point that we seem to be overlooking a little is that the team is for sale. If the Bills can land a franchise type player like Clowney and grow their Season Ticket base by 10k, corporate sponsorship rev, etc... it drives up the sale price. I fully expect the Bills to try to hit a home run in this draft. Maybe they won't be able to pull it off but it won't be for a lack of effort.

I don't think that's a far-fetched idea, but I think the true motivation would be to swing for the fences on that type of potential generational talent, regardless of the ownership status.

If we could structure the trade like we did with the Colts for Bennett, it would be our 1st this year, and our 1st and 2nd NEXT year, plus a starter.

GO BILLS!!!

GO BILLS!!!

Agreed. Whaley said ' if the player can be a final piece to get to the playoffs....' Bottom line Clowney would be that for us. What OL can stop all 4 of those cats AND Kiko and whomever is rushing from the other side? Who the hell are you going to double? Our DT's can rush the passer as well as just about any DT in the NFL, BOTH had sacks in the pro bowl.

Look sometimes you just gotta pull the trigger. Polian as you said did it and I agree, I say #9, our first and 2nd next year and Spiller or Stevie.

I don't think that's a far-fetched idea, but I think the true motivation would be to swing for the fences on that type of potential generational talent, regardless of the ownership status.

If we could structure the trade like we did with the Colts for Bennett, it would be our 1st this year, and our 1st and 2nd NEXT year, plus a starter.

GO BILLS!!!

LOL Great minds man I posted just after you did :thumbsup:

I do get the feeling that I am going to be saying "Wow" at least once about the Bills strategy on draft weekend. Not necessarily in a good or bad way but I think they are going to do something a little unexpected. If they stay at #9 and select Taylor Lewan I'd be surprised.

all of this ^

With two free agents signed this year that have buffalo connection, maybe the Bills don't want clowney but want that UB player.

and this^ Edited by 3rdand12

GO BILLS!!!

Well, that was 27 years ago and the NFL was a completely different place, as demonstrated by the fact that the Colts gave up the rights to Bennett and all those draft picks for a running back. Second, the Bills at that time were loaded with talent, already had their franchise QB in place, and truly were "one player away". None of those things are true of this team. How would you feel if EJ plays poorly this year, the Bills finish 3-13, and then they have no opportunity to draft Marcus Mariota or Jameis Winston because they traded their first pick for a defensive lineman? No thanks. Trade back, not up.

GO BILLS!!!

Another thing about the Bennett trade: the trade happened just before the start of the 1987 season and the first number one pick the Bills gave up was to be taken the following year, which is de-valued to a significant degree, probably at least by one round. Also, because the Bills were on the rise, those future picks were likely to be, and in fact were, relatively late picks. By they way, all of the players the Rams picked with those draft choices STUNK.

Edited by mannc

Clowney is going to be a good player and him on the opposite side as Mario would be amazing, but our problem is on offense. We should just take the best offensive player on the board at 9. IMO we need to stockpile picks for next year in case we have to get another QB. If EJ doesn't cut it this year then go all in on Jameison

Well, that was 27 years ago and the NFL was a completely different place, as demonstrated by the fact that the Colts gave up the rights to Bennett and all those draft picks for a running back. Second, the Bills at that time were loaded with talent, already had their franchise QB in place, and truly were "one player away". None of those things are true of this team. How would you feel if EJ plays poorly this year, the Bills finish 3-13, and then they have no opportunity to draft Marcus Mariota or Jameis Winston because they traded their first pick for a defensive lineman? No thanks. Trade back, not up.

Another thing about the Bennett trade: the trade happened just before the start of the 1987 season and the first number one pick the Bills gave up was to be taken the following year, which is de-valued to a significant degree, probably at least by one round. Also, because the Bills were on the rise, those future picks were likely to be, and in fact were, relatively late picks. By they way, all of the players the Rams picked with those draft choices STUNK.

The Bennett trade actually occurred after the season started and I've already mentioned my preference for a trade to be structured the same way; a 1st this year, and a 1st and 2nd next year, plus a starter.

Yes the NFL has changed, but the idea of getting great players hasn't. The Bills were into their 2nd year of the Kelly era when they made the Bennett trade. Several key pieces were yet to be added, including TT and Lofton.

While it would suck if E.J. Manuel doesn't pan out, you simply can't operate under that assumption when deciding whether or not to pull the trigger on what you perceive may be a generational talent.

Like I said, LOTS of people thought Polian lost his mind, gave up the farm, when he had such a young team in an early stage of development and so many other pieces were needed at the time. But NO piece was needed as much as a player like Bennett at the time. People are sick of me saying it, but it bears repeating: getting him changed the entire equation in the division IMMEDIATELY. If the Bills have that same kind of conviction about a player, the price is an easy one to pay.

GO BILLS!!!

Clowney is going to be a good player and him on the opposite side as Mario would be amazing, but our problem is on offense. We should just take the best offensive player on the board at 9. IMO we need to stockpile picks for next year in case we have to get another QB. If EJ doesn't cut it this year then go all in on Jameison

Please tell me you aren't serious? The kid was exposed against Auburn and will face a hell of a lot more pressure this year. He seems dumber than a box of rocks and still may have legal issues to contend with if they try to re open the case. Not no hell no to Jameison.

I can't figure out why a GM would lie about wanting to move up. What possible advantage could be gained?

Simple to get someone really worried about losing X player that they think Buffalo might want, to trade up and take that player. That increases the odds of the player or players Buffalo really wants dropping to them.

The Bennett trade actually occurred after the season started and I've already mentioned my preference for a trade to be structured the same way; a 1st this year, and a 1st and 2nd next year, plus a starter.

Yes the NFL has changed, but the idea of getting great players hasn't. The Bills were into their 2nd year of the Kelly era when they made the Bennett trade. Several key pieces were yet to be added, including TT and Lofton.

While it would suck if E.J. Manuel doesn't pan out, you simply can't operate under that assumption when deciding whether or not to pull the trigger on what you perceive may be a generational talent.

Like I said, LOTS of people thought Polian lost his mind, gave up the farm, when he had such a young team in an early stage of development and so many other pieces were needed at the time. But NO piece was needed as much as a player like Bennett at the time. People are sick of me saying it, but it bears repeating: getting him changed the entire equation in the division IMMEDIATELY. If the Bills have that same kind of conviction about a player, the price is an easy one to pay.

GO BILLS!!!

I was at Bennett's first game, only a few days after he signed and well before he learned the play book. He played like his hair was on fire--in a good way. He was an absolute terror and a "can't miss" prospect. I'm just not convinced Clowney is that kind if player. I think he has significant bust potential.

I was at Bennett's first game, only a few days after he signed and well before he learned the play book. He played like his hair was on fire--in a good way. He was an absolute terror and a "can't miss" prospect. I'm just not convinced Clowney is that kind if player. I think he has significant bust potential.

I think they're all 50/50 propositions. I also think there's a snowball's chance that they'll end up trading up far enough to get him. Hell, maybe they think Mack is the guy, I really don't know. But regardless, if you have that kind of conviction on a player, like Polian did with Bennett, then go all in and don't look back.

GO BILLS!!!

Or he's lying about lying.

No way .

?

I get such a kick out of the pre draft maneuvering . This is the short window when GMs get to show off to other GMs . " Game on" . And let the jousts begin .

Clowney is too much of a reach too soon and too maybe for me