Something to think about

Heres my twist on the fate of the Bills. I think they are as good as gone but hope im wrong. 1.3 billion gets LA their team. 900 for purchase and 400 for the penalty. Once they are bought the worth of the team instantly goes up from 870 million once they are in the second largest market. Scary thought huh?

Heres my twist on the fate of the Bills. I think they are as good as gone but hope im wrong. 1.3 billion gets LA their team. 900 for purchase and 400 for the penalty. Once they are bought the worth of the team instantly goes up from 870 million once they are in the second largest market. Scary thought huh?

There's a good thread going about how the $400M penalty is just that--a penalty for managing to win a court case that allows the team to breach the lease contract...it's not a simple out clause.

The team is effectively sequestered to Buffalo through, at a minimum, the 2019 season.

There's a good thread going about how the $400M penalty is just that--a penalty for managing to win a court case that allows the team to breach the lease contract...it's not a simple out clause.

The team is effectively sequestered to Buffalo through, at a minimum, the 2019 season.

way to go Ralph!

900 mil is an estimate, could be more, IRS determines that I believe. The $400 million penalty is applied only if the new owner legally breaks the lease. This would add millions in legal fees. Plus the owners have to approve the move, that may not be too difficult though with Jerry Jones leading the charge.

All great points everyone. Im not a legal expert so you definitely helped me to understand things. I do believe the overall worth of the Bills will increase when its up for sale due to a possible bidding war.

I don't see the bidding war being a major issue...an NFL team is an asset with a relatively clearly defined worth. While there may be one prospective owner that is willing to pay more than another, it's highly unlikely that the difference will be significant. For example, if the team is valued at $1B, the guy willing to pay more may come in closer to $1.1B than $1.0B even. The difference in sale price does nothing to change the value of the franchise, so the only benefit of paying more would be the ownership of the asset.

As far as the NFL is concerned, the sale of the franchise needs only to be for a "responsible and reasonable amount" as determined by the other owners...it does NOT have to be to the highest bidder (and there's precedent for it NOT being the highest bidder, vis-a-vis the Washington Redskins sale to Dan Snyder). If the NFL has to choose between a buyer that will keep the team in Buffalo and one that will move them, it's very likely an easy choice.

Los Angeles Jaguars, Buffalo Bills might be in a small market but they fill the stadium. Jacksonville plays in a small market also and can't draw fans. I went to the game against the Bills and paid $25.00 for the ticket and $10 for parking. They play one game a year in London. There stadium makes the Ralph look like it's state of the art.

right now, keeping a team out of LA is the best thing the NFL has going for it. forget the TV revenue increases - its gotten them stadium funding in how many other cities? the other possible markets - Toronto, or say a few years down the line London worry me more honestly

This thread is garbage and OP needs to educate himself before coming to such conclusions...

1) The $400 million buyout does not exist. The Bills are here until at least 2020 and if they don't move that year then they are here 3 more years through the end of the lease.

2) It's not just $900 million to buy the team. It will go to the highest bidder and it will probably be north of $1 billion. Then once you own the team if you want to move them you need at least $1 billion for a new stadium and around $50 million for the executive offices and whatever it costs for training facilities. Then you have to pay the NFL whatever amount they deem necessary in relocation fees (this has been estimated at hundreds of millions of dollars).

3) LA wants an NFL team to play there, they don't want to necessarily OWN one. It would be much easier for one of the existing owners to move there

Whoever buys the team has to be ok with playing in Buffalo until at least 2020 and LA wants a team now not in 6 yrs. If anything we have to worry about Toronto coming for our team, not LA

WGR confirmed through Polancarz that the opt out does not exist. Fyi

...and for those who think that the new owner can just break the lease and pay the 400 million dollar penalty the County (I believe) can sue for specific performance (and hopefully win), meaning that the Bills would have to stay and play here.

...and for those who think that the new owner can just break the lease and pay the 400 million dollar penalty the County (I believe) can sue for specific performance (and hopefully win), meaning that the Bills would have to stay and play here.

There are a couple of very informative posts on page 4 of this thread about the non-relocation aspect of the lease.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/166653-report-lease-buyout-does-not-exist/page__st__60

right now, keeping a team out of LA is the best thing the NFL has going for it. forget the TV revenue increases - its gotten them stadium funding in how many other cities? the other possible markets - Toronto, or say a few years down the line London worry me more honestly

Again I'll state that the Bills should not be the team to move.

http://espn.go.com/n...Pct/order/false

Average lowest attendance % 2013

# 1 Oak

# 2 Miami

# 3 Wash

# 6 Jax

# 9 Buffalo

Average lowest attendance % 2012

# 1 Miami

# 4 Oak

# 6 Wash

# 7 Buffalo

# 10 Cincy

# 16 Jax

Average lowest attendance % 2011

# 1 Cincy

# 2 Miami

# 3 Wash

# 4 Oak

# 7 Buffalo

# 9 Jax

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

That is wishful thinking. Any contract can be broken. A new owner can just flat out put WNY on notice and pay the fine. You cant keep a NEW owner from moving the team that made a contract under another owner. Bottom line the Courts will allow the Bills to move and the new owner to pay the 400 million