So...What happens next?

There are exactly 32 of these entities in the known universe and the opportunity to purchase a franchise is exceedingly rare. There's going to be a lot of interested parties. Ralph's daughters hold all the cards and they've held them close to the chest up to now and I expect they'll continue to do so until an announcement is made.

RIP Ralph. Prayers for JK.

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I found this blurp from the official website/announcement of his passing:

"Right now all of us are absorbing this tremendous personal loss. We are performing our day-to-day functions as we normally would. We understand our fans curiosity in wanting to know what the future holds for our organization and that will be addressed in the near future. But at this time, we are committed to honoring the life and legacy of Ralph C. Wilson, Jr., the man who delivered NFL football to Buffalo."

I guess I take that as in there is some sort of plan in place which I hope is good news, but honestly right now I'm still sad at the passing of Mr Wilson... he has brought so much to Buffalo and all of WNY... my entire life as a sports fan has been dominated by the fact that he brought AND KEPT the Bills here. Win or lose, I still have NFL football to be passionate about and I owe it all to him, his family and the passion to keep the Bills here. I'm praying the Bills remain in the only city they should ever call home.

Edited by McD

So...

Good thing the lease just got renewed. We should have 7 years hopefully left of Bills football. Guess Ralph's will and succession plan will be known. Will JKs group still buy the team?

Lots of sad news for us Bills fans, but wonder what is next...

thoughts?

I will respect him by keeping silent on what is next for this team/franchise, at least today.

I have to admit the same thought immediately came to me too.

Edited by rockpile

So...

Good thing the lease just got renewed. We should have 7 years hopefully left of Bills football. Guess Ralph's will and succession plan will be known. Will JKs group still buy the team?

Lots of sad news for us Bills fans, but wonder what is next...

thoughts?

too soon

I hate to break hearts here but a new owner can move the team with little difficulty.

This is just a case of extreme laziness and not understanding the terms of the lease. It's essentially a 7-year poison pill. ANY owner, existing or new, is still bound to the terms of the lease (which is with the team and not Ralph Wilson individually), and would require them to pay $400 million if the the team leaves in any of those first 7 years of the contract. After that, an owner would pay only a bit less than $30 million to do the same. So to the question of what's going to happen next, there will be a new owner or the family will retain ownership until someone shows interest in buying the team. In the meantime, they will still get ready for the draft and still play in free agency and business will go on as usual.

I dont suppose this could wait till say.....TOMORROW

Thinking it doesnt mean you have to say it immediately....stay classy

no need to make anyone feel guilty for asking, in my opinion. its natural. its not like this is a mob storming the wilson complex, its simply a message board where fans can discuss questions, and ideas. asking what happens from here is normal, and a far cry from someone demanding answers from the family which would be inappropriate in this moment

I think people fail to realize how smart Ralph Wilson is in terms of business. There is no way this team moves after he passes. He probably had a plan 10 years ago. The guy kept the team in Buffalo and you really think his death will change that?

I think people fail to realize how smart Ralph Wilson is in terms of business. There is no way this team moves after he passes. He probably had a plan 10 years ago. The guy kept the team in Buffalo and you really think his death will change that?

Bingo. I'm no tax expert but I have to believe selling the team would have either earned/saved a tremendous amount of money for his family while he was alive, but he never did it. There's a plan, gotta be.

Present day to day operations will go on. They'll pay their bills, taxes, make personnel changes, draft, market, etc. But until the "plan" is in place and presented to the community as a whole.....Those same day to day operations will have an ominous dark cloud lurking over every move.

I feel it right now. I only hope that a "plan" is in place. I need, you need, we all need the Bills to stay in Buffalo. Until that day of reassurance comes.....Kick butt Buffalo. Do it for Mr. Wilson. Do it for Jim.

This is just a case of extreme laziness and not understanding the terms of the lease. It's essentially a 7-year poison pill. ANY owner, existing or new, is still bound to the terms of the lease (which is with the team and not Ralph Wilson individually), and would require them to pay $400 million if the the team leaves in any of those first 7 years of the contract. After that, an owner would pay only a bit less than $30 million to do the same. So to the question of what's going to happen next, there will be a new owner or the family will retain ownership until someone shows interest in buying the team. In the meantime, they will still get ready for the draft and still play in free agency and business will go on as usual.

I have not seen the lease but what you say is what is widely reported so it is safe to assume it is true. But if an offer comes in for the Bills from someone that the NFL owners like, and that owner wants to move the team to a larger market that would make the NFL more money, all of the owners could throw in 13 mil to buy out the lease. They would recoup that in pretty short order in the right market. Not saying that's what will happen because like all of you, I have no idea or inside information. But burying your head in the sand because of the stadium lease doesn't make much sense to me.

Present day to day operations will go on. They'll pay their bills, taxes, make personnel changes, draft, market, etc. But until the "plan" is in place and presented to the community as a whole.....Those same day to day operations will have an ominous dark cloud lurking over every move.

I feel it right now. I only hope that a "plan" is in place. I need, you need, we all need the Bills to stay in Buffalo. Until that day of reassurance comes.....Kick butt Buffalo. Do it for Mr. Wilson. Do it for Jim.