So...What happens next?

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a $400 million buyout so I am sure it is not totally out of the question for the new owner to lay that kind of coin down to move the team to LA or Toronto but it is not a drop in the bucket either.

It is for a guy like Pegula... I know all the issues with Sabres... But he does have the coin! And, he is a Buffalo backer.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Team is sold to highest bidder. A large sum of money is paid to lawyers to find a way out of Buffalo as quickly as possible. The city of Buffalo and we the fans of the Bills need a virtual miracle. No matter what anyone says the NFL will let any owner leave for anywhere they want. They let Modell leave Cleveland for Baltimore which left for Indianapolis. Only a miracle or lawsuits will keep the Bills in Buffalo now. RW was our extremely flawed miracle for decades. Now we need another.

First thought was I can't believe that the NY State politicians would give so much money for the stadium updating then let the team leave and be stuck with a stadium nobody uses. These are the NY State politicians I'm talking about though.

He can leave the team to anyone. But that person would owe the inheritance tax of several hundred million dollars and his family would not get a nickel.

The estate beneficiary does not owe the taxes, the estate does. So the team will not pass to the new owners until the estate is settled, meaning that the taxes must be paid before the team is moved. That's what forces the sale, because the estates rarely have enough cash to pay the taxes without selling the assets, in this case the Bills.

But since Ralph is survived by his wife, the estate can pass to her without any tax, so that can buy some time.

I think we have a couple things in our favor..

Obviously the lease helps out for a few years.

Roger being "on our side" helps. Though he probably will have to answer to someone, since yes, the team might be more profitable elsewhere (but then again, so would teams like the Jaguars).

There's probably at least a few owners who want to see the team stay put, purely from a nostalgia point of view.

All we can do is cross our fingers for the next few years I guess.

Putting the team in a trust does not avoid the estate taxes. The trust is just a management mechanism to manage the assets while the estate gets its affairs in order. Wilson may have been contributing a portion of the team to the trust over the last decade or so to take some tax bite out, but I don't know how he could transfer the entire team to the trust and avoid estate taxes.

It is for a guy like Pegula... I know all the issues with Sabres... But he does have the coin! And, he is a Buffalo backer.

I remember Ed Kilgore from Channel 2 during his final few months on the air, speaking about the fact he had spoken to a potential ownership group who does have the money to purchase the team and possibly build a new stadium in WNY. A short time later he went to work for Terry Pegula, could he be the potential owner Kilgore was referring to?

Jason La Canfora@JasonLaCanfora 25m

One possibility with the Bills as precursor to a sale - team goes into a trust for a period of time coinciding w/duration of stadium lease..

Take this with all the salt in the Atlantic.

I'm sorry, but the issue of "what will happen to the Buffalo Bills when Ralph Wilson passes" has been asked for about 20 years now.

To think La Canfora is privy to some "inside" knowledge is just absurd.

Yes, I suppose that is ONE possibility that could happen. But a trillionaire from Saudi Arabia could show up tomorrow and offer 3 times the market rate.

NO ONE on this planet has "inside" information, unless they are either

a) going to buy the team

or

b) know that there is a succession plan in place

I say this with your best interest at heart: disregard EVERY rumor you read over the next few days/weeks/months or you're going to drive yourself crazy.

we pull the 11th highest tv ratings in the league and havent made the playoffs in a decade and a half. people love the bills. theyre not going anywhere, i promise you. they are in the top 3rd of the league in terms of popularity and they are god awful. they are the only team in new york. toronto is in their backyard.

if the bills left buffalo on monday, the jaguars would move here on tuesday.

no owner is giving up this market share or this fanbase. ever.

We always heard about a plan, but the plan could also be the screw you Buffalo plan.

There are plenty of posters on this site and other Bills fan sites that have been calling Ralph cheap for years as recently as yesterday.

Ralph's dying wish might be just say you know what screw you Buffalo I'm sick of your cheap ass ways, and your $40 tickets, and no sellouts in December. I'm moving the team to Los Angeles and getting $200 per ticket. My legacy is to rebrand the Bills team to something else, new logos new jersey's, and most importantly new revenue.

I'm sure of course I'll get blasted by everyone on this site For even suggesting this.

Why wouldn't he do this while alive?

It just isn't going to happen. I am not saying this as someone with Bills glasses on but as someone who has worked on the sale of an NBA team (twice) and a 20 year lease agreement. These things are ironclad and written a certain way to not just steer behavior but to force it. Here is a good article on the nuts and bolts of the lease: http://www.buffaloru...-stadium-lease.

That is kind of the point. They are here for at least 7 more years.

thank you.

and here's what i fail to realize about people that think the sky is falling:

the bills are 11th in terms of tv ratings in the league, and the middle of the pack for attendance. they are a popular franchise with a rabid fanbase.

so let's say they move... there are going to be about 10 other nfl cities looking at the crater in western new york, and LINING UP the mayflower trucks to be the first to fill that void.

ralph wilson is from detroit. he lived in detroit. if he could have moved the bills and made more money, he would have moved the bills and made more money.

nfl owners are in the business of making money.

the bills are a SURE BET.

moving the team to LA is not. moving them to toronto is not. moving them to london is not.

end of discussion. period.

i hate talking about the bills leaving. people just have such a flawed understanding of how this process would work.

Edited by JohnnyGold

Take this with all the salt in the Atlantic.

I'm sorry, but the issue of "what will happen to the Buffalo Bills when Ralph Wilson passes" has been asked for about 20 years now.

To think La Canfora is privy to some "inside" knowledge is just absurd.

Yes, I suppose that is ONE possibility that could happen. But a trillionaire from Saudi Arabia could show up tomorrow and offer 3 times the market rate.

NO ONE on this planet has "inside" information, unless they are either

a) going to buy the team

or

b) know that there is a succession plan in place

I say this with your best interest at heart: disregard EVERY rumor you read over the next few days/weeks/months or you're going to drive yourself crazy.

we pull the 11th highest tv ratings in the league and havent made the playoffs in a decade and a half. people love the bills. theyre not going anywhere, i promise you. they are in the top 3rd of the league in terms of popularity and they are god awful. they are the only team in new york. toronto is in their backyard.

if the bills left buffalo on monday, the jaguars would move here on tuesday.

no owner is giving up this market share or this fanbase. ever.

This post was so much like the conversation I just had with a co-worker I'm wondering if you were in the room... :lol:

Great post...Totally agree 100%... B-)

If the Bills left, fans would likely become Steeler fans or Giants fans and a few lost souls would become Browns fans.

An the 150 Million in upgrades going to the stadium now would be for not.

don't worry you can still play the high school section 6 championships there. Unless the stadium was torn down and repurposed into something else maybe like a new zoo.

Edited by oman128