Carrington signed by Rams

FireChan

Correct. The only other player that can be considered a FA loss would be Jim Leonard. So, at this point it is a guaranteed the Bills will have a net loss in FA. I like the players we signed in FA, but it does sting a bit knowing Byrd would've fetched us a 3rd round pick next year had we only signed 2 FA's. Despite some confusion by posters on this board, teams can NOT be awarded a compensatory pick if they have more FA's signed then lost. It doesn't matter how much better the players are that left.....if more enter the building then leave there is NO comp. picks. And if the FA's signed is the same number of FA's that leave the best pick you can get is a 7th rounder. Just wanted to clear that issue up as there seems to still be a sentiment that we could get something for Byrd. We can not.

Another example of the Bills FO just not being able to compete. Two years in a row they let high priced FA's walk with no compensation. Don't sign Alan Branch and we get a third or fourth this year. That extra pick is your LG of the future thus no need to sign Williams and a useless ST's FB. There is a third round pick next year for Byrd.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me see if I have this straight. The Bills should have foregone their plans to sign the known free agents they targeted to fill holes NOW in favor of an unknown 3rd round draft pick a year from now? That makes absolutely no sense on any level. None at all.

GO BILLS!!!

Let me see if I have this straight. The Bills should have foregone their plans to sign the known free agents they targeted to fill holes NOW in favor of an unknown 3rd round draft pick a year from now? That makes absolutely no sense on any level. None at all.

GO BILLS!!!

no, the plan should have been to extract value from byrd another way if they obviously planned on targeting UFA players. If their list was either very short, or heavy on guys that had been cuts or non-tendered RFAs then shooting for a compensatory pick as the highest value may have been reasonable.

Another example of the Bills FO just not being able to compete. Two years in a row they let high priced FA's walk with no compensation. Don't sign Alan Branch and we get a third or fourth this year. That extra pick is your LG of the future thus no need to sign Williams and a useless ST's FB. There is a third round pick next year for Byrd.

Made this same point in another thread...the compensatory 3rd pick is not as valuable as you might think. It's way more miss than hit. As for it definitively bringing you your left guard of the future, not too long ago, an NFL team with nearly a century's worth of history thought that same Williams was a tackle good enough to warrant the 14th pick overall in the draft. Branch was a solid piece of the D last year, likely worth a hypothetical late 3rd or 4th round pick. If three of this year's free agents are solid contributors, the loss of a mid-round pick was easily worth it.

no, the plan should have been to extract value from byrd another way if they obviously planned on targeting UFA players. If their list was either very short, or heavy on guys that had been cuts or non-tendered RFAs then shooting for a compensatory pick as the highest value may have been reasonable.

Extracting value for Byrd is an entirely unrelated matter.

But some around here make it sound like signing Spikes, Rivers, Graham, and C Williams was not worth the TOTALLY UNKNOWN QUANTITY of a future 3rd round pick.

Makes no sense.

GO BILLS!!!

May I borrow your crystal ball for a moment? Wow.

Extracting value for Byrd is an entirely unrelated matter.

But some around here make it sound like signing Spikes, Rivers, Graham, and C Williams was not worth the TOTALLY UNKNOWN QUANTITY of a future 3rd round pick.

Makes no sense.

GO BILLS!!!

and im saying i dont think thats what they generally mean. some perhaps, but i think they are just upset that we are getting nothing from byrd after comments that we would atleast be getting a comp pick - which after seeing the execution of the free agency plan doesnt look like it was a terribly likely outcome for the decision makers to have expected.

i dont think that most are saying we should have signed 3 fewer players for a 3rd round pick if you really drill down into intended meaning.

I truly believe Carrington is a good football player and solid Defensive lineman, IF and BIG IF, he can stay healthy...that was his main issue here in Buffalo. But IF he stays healthy, I think the Rams just got themselves a good, productive player. Didn't really want to see him go, but saw the writing on the wall when two weeks into FA he didn't sign with Buffalo.

Should have taken the multi-year deal from the Bills!

@HBalzer721

Rams one-year deal with DT Alex Carrington worth $1.5M with $1M of that guaranteed: $500,000 roster bonus and $500,000 of $1M base salary.

It probably averaged less than $1.5M/season. Buh bye.

Man. That's nothing. Backup money.

hes never been a starter. he would only be expected to be a role player/rotational guy... last year was essentially his chance to "prove it" on a 1 year deal and he got hurt - this is his re-do of that.

This does not make any sense - foregoing players to fill holes now in the hope that you will be awarded a 3rd round draft choice next year. How does that equate to the FO being able to compete? It seems the opposite to me.

Should have taken the multi-year deal from the Bills!

@HBalzer721

Rams one-year deal with DT Alex Carrington worth $1.5M with $1M of that guaranteed: $500,000 roster bonus and $500,000 of $1M base salary.

Exactly. Glad he did not at this point obviously. Even without the injury, I think Branch is the better player so the Bills ended up in a better position anyway.

Too bad he couldn't stay healthy and had to switch a bunch of positions. good luck to him. But let's be honest. What did he really do here? He was a great FG blocker. But it's a good gamble on the Rams part but he really did nothing to justify a long term contract here.