Rotoworld analysis of Bills needs

Lothar

Hey guys and girls, first time, long time.

Some of you need to step back from the ledge. EJ did a decent enough job as a rookie IMHO. He didn't set the NFL on fire but which of the QBs do you want to draft this year will? Going off half cocked and drafting another "franchise QB" is just silly. Then we can have 2 QBs that need time to develop...if they develop. I don't think we're as far away from the playoffs as we have been in previous years. Let's continue to build where we obviously need to build and let EJ take care of business. If he doesn't, then we are still a stronger team, and perhaps the only missing piece will be QB. Can anyone honestly say the only piece we are missing right now, today, is QB?

With all of the blame that gets thrown around as to why the Bills have missed the playoffs for so long, why do some people still fear any form of competition at the QB spot? It makes absolutely no sense. Do you want to see wins or is it more important to hitch your wagon to certain players just for the sake of trying to win arguments on a forum. EJ clearly gets this season to show what he has. That being said, why not draft a QB outside of the first round to see if a guy can outplay Thad or Jeff. Every position needs competition for the backup roles at the very least. Honest criticisms of EJ should not always trigger such extreme hyperbole as a response. To say that EJ today is just as big of an enigma as he was last August is not nearly the same as wanting him replaced as soon as possible. Improving your QB depth at the very least can lead to some trades later on if your starter begins to light it up. If you decide the starter just can't cut it, then perhaps you have a guy already on the roster that earns a shot because the GM decided to wisely hedge his bets. I want to see the Bills win a lot more than I care about who is responsible for it. If Jeff Tuel sells his soul to the devil and looks like Drew Brees all of a sudden, who am I to argue if it means winning? Just win baby! :lol:

Could we accidently try and find some guys @ lb so we could occasionally stop the run ? Or should we draft skill players that will spend a good part of Sunday's watching the other team convert...and convert...and ? Just a philosophical question

What about Spikes and Rivers/Lawson? Kiko? But who would you draft at LB and when?

We only signed Spikes for one year. Drafting someone like Skov or Borland wouldn't be a bad idea.

I don't disagree, as I would like a 3-down MLB. But that 1-year deal can be extended and is a concern for next year.

Are you trying to count the number of knee injuries EJ had in one season with those Dings? B-)

No it's meant to represent the amount of time Bills fans a re willing to give any QB develop...about how long it takes to zap a hot pocket.

But let's go with your statement for a minute. EJ had three injuries to his knee. Does that make him a bad QB? I get the feeling that fans blame EJ for his injuries like it's all his fault. It's absurd.

PTR

No it's meant to represent the amount of time Bills fans a re willing to give any QB develop...about how long it takes to zap a hot pocket.

But let's go with your statement for a minute. EJ had three injuries to his knee. Does that make him a bad QB? I get the feeling that fans blame EJ for his injuries like it's all his fault. It's absurd.

PTR

Actually, he had 2 injuries to his left knee caused by minimal contact and one injury to his right knee from a helmet shot to it. The right knee doesn't concern me as much since it's not surprising he got injured (and likely won't put himself in that situation again). The left knee is more worrisome, although since he didn't have surgery on it, I wonder if it affected him all season long?

Hey guys and girls, first time, long time.

Some of you need to step back from the ledge. EJ did a decent enough job as a rookie IMHO. He didn't set the NFL on fire but which of the QBs do you want to draft this year will? Going off half cocked and drafting another "franchise QB" is just silly. Then we can have 2 QBs that need time to develop...if they develop. I don't think we're as far away from the playoffs as we have been in previous years. Let's continue to build where we obviously need to build and let EJ take care of business. If he doesn't, then we are still a stronger team, and perhaps the only missing piece will be QB. Can anyone honestly say the only piece we are missing right now, today, is QB?

QB is not the only piece. but it is by far the most important piece.

if EJ doesn't pan out in 2 - 3 years, then it will be another 2-3 years waiting on the next guy.

the bills have neglected the QB position far to long. thad lewis is a backup and Tuel is a joke.

giving a young QB time to develop is fine, when you already have a franchise QB.

the bills need to make up for previous years of neglect by getting another Top QB in here one way or the other. not some 5th round flyer.

Help on offense? Coming right up!

1-Mike Evans Texas A&M WRF

2-Jordan Matthews Vanderbilt WRF

3-Troy Niklas Notre Dame TE

4-Billy Turner North Dakota St ROT

5-Andre Williams Boston College RBF

6-Chris Watt Notre Dame OG

7-Logan Thomas Virginia Tech QB

Love it!!!

CBF

I was listening to the NFL radio network (Rich Gannon) was mentioning that having EJ run a hurry up fast paced offense was not the right scheme for a rookie to break into the NFL! Rich's opinion was to run a huddle up offense to slow the game down for EJ. Makes sense to me! So put it on Hackett!

Running the hurry up with a rookie QB was at best overly optimistic at worse just plain dumb.

With all of the blame that gets thrown around as to why the Bills have missed the playoffs for so long, why do some people still fear any form of competition at the QB spot? It makes absolutely no sense. Do you want to see wins or is it more important to hitch your wagon to certain players just for the sake of trying to win arguments on a forum. EJ clearly gets this season to show what he has. That being said, why not draft a QB outside of the first round to see if a guy can outplay Thad or Jeff. Every position needs competition for the backup roles at the very least. Honest criticisms of EJ should not always trigger such extreme hyperbole as a response. To say that EJ today is just as big of an enigma as he was last August is not nearly the same as wanting him replaced as soon as possible. Improving your QB depth at the very least can lead to some trades later on if your starter begins to light it up. If you decide the starter just can't cut it, then perhaps you have a guy already on the roster that earns a shot because the GM decided to wisely hedge his bets. I want to see the Bills win a lot more than I care about who is responsible for it. If Jeff Tuel sells his soul to the devil and looks like Drew Brees all of a sudden, who am I to argue if it means winning? Just win baby! :lol:

I don't think people fear it, most want to bring a backup in.

I don't want to see a high pick wasted on a QB and think a lower level draft choice wouldn't be ready and is likely no better than what we have.

until you have a FRANCHISE QB it "should" be your #1 need.

but hey, lets wait for EJ, what do have to lose besides extending our playoff drought.

Yeah, because at Number 9 there is a better option than Manuel! :wallbash:

On what planet was EJ's when-healthy performance "disappointing?" I'm not saying said performance put him in the MVP hunt, but let's be serious. It was--at worst--on par with what should be reasonably expected from a rookie!

Pretty much. Perfomance wise he was fine for a rookie. The only thing that has me concerned is the injuries. If he can't stay healthy, then that is obviously going to negate everything else. I had similar concerns about eric wood though, and his injury stuff has calmed down a lot. So hopefully his injury rookie season is not a precurser of things to come

On what planet was EJ's when-healthy performance "disappointing?" I'm not saying said performance put him in the MVP hunt, but let's be serious. It was--at worst--on par with what should be reasonably expected from a rookie!

Manuel was painfully inaccurate and hesitant in the pocket in his worse moments. During the TB and Pittsburgh games, even the biggest homer would be hard pressed to look at his performance and say that he looked like a player that could ever develop into an elite quarterback. During his better games (Carolina, NYJ) he was average. There was never one moment where Manuel wow'd me. Adding to the fact that this is a player that suffered 3 (!!!) knee injuries over the course of his first season in the league, and logically you would think we'd want a damned good insurance policy in place. Hearing rumblings on WGR that Whaley/Marrone are not interested in a veteran backup for fear of putting too much pressure on EJ is disconcerting, to say the least.

Not sure if this has been posted yet ...

I see that they have OT, S and QB as top 3 needs and they give options for each day.

Can't say I'm a big fan of their options besides Matthews.

http://www.rotoworld...aft-needs-bills

This is a typical "How do you spell Buffalo Bills?" clueless national coverage of the team.

Nothing to see here.

Manuel was painfully inaccurate and hesitant in the pocket in his worse moments. During the TB and Pittsburgh games, even the biggest homer would be hard pressed to look at his performance and say that he looked like a player that could ever develop into an elite quarterback. During his better games (Carolina, NYJ) he was average. There was never one moment where Manuel wow'd me. Adding to the fact that this is a player that suffered 3 (!!!) knee injuries over the course of his first season in the league, and logically you would think we'd want a damned good insurance policy in place. Hearing rumblings on WGR that Whaley/Marrone are not interested in a veteran backup for fear of putting too much pressure on EJ is disconcerting, to say the least.

Average in his best performances? Average...for a rookie? Credibility, meet open window.

Average in his best performances? Average...for a rookie? Credibility, meet open window.

He was average for a rookie, Jerome. When I watch a first round quarterback, I expect to see moments where it is clear that this player has elite potential. That to me was never evident when watching Manuel struggle to hit open receivers down the sideline or overthrow 5 yard slants. When I watch EJ I see Jason Campbell, not exactly an exciting proposition.

He was average for a rookie, Jerome. When I watch a first round quarterback, I expect to see moments where it is clear that this player has elite potential. That to me was never evident when watching Manuel struggle to hit open receivers down the sideline or overthrow 5 yard slants. When I watch EJ I see Jason Campbell, not exactly an exciting proposition.

You sound like you kept an open mind throughout the 2013 campaign.

Why is wanting to have a legitimate QB lunacy? Manuel may grow into one or he may not. Meanwhile 3 more years have passed. Regardless of the round if the FO believes in a guy they better grab him. And they better understand something Buddy never did; a QB's value in the draft is inflated. If you wait, you lose.

I'm certain that there were multiple QB's that the Bills liked during Buddy's reign, that's just plain common sense, but he played chicken, he waited and he lost. See your guy...get your guy.

I think its quite naive to think the Bills are going to wait 3 more years for EJ to turn a corner. No one wants a franchise QB more than me, however, this notion we should an early round pick on one THIS year is lunacy.

1. EJ has work to do no doubt, but he showed plenty of promise, and anyone saying he didn't either didnt watch the games or doesnt know enough about football to be evaluating QBs in the first place.

2. EJ this offseason and preseason NEEDS snaps. Adding a high round pick for them to split those CRUCIAL reps with isnt going to help either of the 2 QB's. He needs a chance to be the man, not lose reps in some unnecessary QB competition at this stage.

3. Rookie QB's RARELY have a good rookie year, make a huge impact, etc. EJ had better stats than many of todays top QB's had their rookie year.

4. There are NO slam dunks in this draft at QB. None of the QB's have any more potential at this stage than EJ...there are no Andrew Lucks in this draft.

5. Whoever our QB is, he will need help on the OL and at TE/WRs to develop. We need to give our 2nd year QB the pieces to be successful before we will even know if he can be successful.

6. Our staff, who knows more about EJ than anyone, believes in him and is committed to him. Be really hard to imagine them risking his development by going against those statements and adding a high profile prospect to compete with him. Doesnt mean they wont...I just cant see it nor do I think it would be wise at this stage.

If we had all the other pieces, then fine...but we dont. EJ showed enough to earn the right this season to be the unchallenged starter to build around. If he falters, then next year we can look to add another high value young prospect. This is NOT the year.

While I agree with the first need at OT, as the most important need I see is to give the young QB's all the protection they can get.

However, I'm not very keen on wasting a 3rd rounder on another developmental QB when there are already three on the roster. Nor am I keen on drafting a defensive player with that #9 as the defense has been loaded with first, and second round picks, and still 6-10 with a top DC.

http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/8019/analyzing-kiper-3-0-bills

Mel Kiper's mock drafts:

March 13 (3.0) -- Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan

Feb. 6 (2.0) -- Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M

Jan. 16 (1.0) -- Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn

Todd McShay's mock drafts:

March 6 (3.0) -- Matthews

Feb. 6 (2.0) -- Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson

Jan. 16 (1.0) -- Lewan