40 Yard Line Kickoff Proposal....

The game continues to evolve and change in an effort to make the game safer and reduce the total number of hits and collisions. If passed, touch backs galore.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/19/nfl-owners-will-vote-on-moving-kickoffs-to-the-40/

I kid....Glad we're placing so much emphasis on "core" special teams players!

The game continues to evolve and change in an effort to make the game safer and reduce the total number of hits and collisions. If passed, touch backs galore.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/19/nfl-owners-will-vote-on-moving-kickoffs-to-the-40/

I kid....Glad we're placing so much emphasis on "core" special teams players!

Uh..punt coverage?

Other proposals are eliminating OT in pre-season, having the clock continue to run after a QB gets sacked, adding cameras along the sidelines and goal lines for reviews, having the league review plays, extending the side poles of the uprights 5 feet, and allowing more players to dress on game day.

40 yard line? Most kickoffs will be through the endzone, if not all of them. Might as well just get rid of kickoffs.

The opening kickoff is one of the most anticipated plays with the home crowd going nuts. I'm not in favor of this.

Game is getting lamer and lamer. Ironically, I have now found myself into the EPL because the games are commercial free, there is no replay, I can watch my team every Saturday in less than 2 hours, the announcers are well-spoken and knowledgeable about the game and not speaking in hyperbole or acting, the rules are the rules and the game doesn't change to drive the almighty dollar and there is little in the way of subjectivity with rules. The NFL game takes too long, the product is getting worse, replay has ruined the sport mainly because there is too much subjectivity to it, the refs can't consistently make the right calls (does anyone even know what a catch is anymore?), the players are getting more unlikable and harder to root for. And frankly this constant focus on the dollars of the game is nauseating. The constant talk of manifest destiny by Goodall and his greedy group of profiteers at the public trough.

I'll always be interested in the Bills but I watch less and less every year.... and then we they leave, I'll gladly focus on what I am finding is a better sport and product.

This might add more excitement as it creates a situation where the possibility of tackling the return guy before he gets to the 20 increases. Let's say the kicker is good neigh to kick it high and the ball lands at the goal line. The ball would travel 60 yards. And take about 3 seconds as an estimate. So in this 3 seconds, the kickoff team should be able to get about 25 yards down filed to the opponents 35. So when the returner receives the ball he is 20 yards from the 20 and the kickoff team is about 15 yards.

I realize there are lots of other variables in play like blocking schemes, but a good coordinator can figure this out.

The whole intent of the rule is to limit actual returns. Great scheming by the coordinators will inevitably lead to more analysis and further changes.

Such as, without removing kickoffs completely, limiting the number of kickoffs that fall short of the goal-line. Just throwing darts. I get that teams score more than others, etc., etc.

why doesn't the NFL kick off to start the game and the third quarter, then you get the ball at the 20 to start each remaining drive, until the 2 minute warnings. If a team scores after the 2 minute warning, there is a choice to kick off or place the ball at the 30. Yes the receiving team gets a 10 yard bonus only in the last 2 minutes, it creates some drama huh?

Edited by oman128

i think eventually the kickers will learn to put more hang time like the punters and will start to try and pin teams deep. it won't happen immediately but the next generation of kickers will adapt is my guess

i think eventually the kickers will learn to put more hang time like the punters and will start to try and pin teams deep. it won't happen immediately but the next generation of kickers will adapt is my guess

My sense is that is not possible without a higher tee. They have been shrinking the tee for nfl kickers for years.