Byrd = $12.3 M cash, our 5 new FA signings = $17.775 M cash

Estro

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And what is still being missed is the Bills could have offered the same money and Byrd leave. I am trying to figure out why Bills fans can't get the fact he didn't want to be here?

Not to mention in reality it looks like the Bills would have paid him more in the first 3 years and guaranteed money was likely in the mid 20s.

It just looks like Byrd wanted to go.

I'm assuming the Bills still use the "cash to cap" salary method, so when looking at the contracts signed this offseason I think the best way to breakdown the contract value is cash spent. Byrd will receive $12.3 million in cash for the 2014 season ($11 million signing bonus, $1.3 million salary). So what did our 5 outside FA signings cost the Bills in cash for the 2014 season? Here we go: Corey Graham = $5.55 million ($4 million signing bonus, $1.5 million salary, $50k workout bonus). Chris Williams = $5.025 million ($3.5 million signing bonus, $1.425 mill. base salary, $100k workout bonus). Brandon Spikes = $3.25 million ($900k signing bonus, $1.25 mill. base salary, $1.1 million workout/active roster bonuses). Keith Rivers = $2.35 million ($1 mill. signing bonus, $1.25 mill. base salary, 100k workout bonus. Anthony Dixon = $1.6 million ($750k signing bonus, $800k base salary, $50k workout bonus). So, Total cash spent on new FA additions = $17.775 million.

I'm thrilled the Bills decided to go this route... it only makes sense to improve the overall quality of our team, which will result in more wins vice putting all that money into a safety.

I'm not so thrilled with the Bills ignoring the QB situation so far- my assumption is that they will fix it in the draft, because I'm not sold on Manuel's ability to stay healthy.

spiller can void the last year of his contract (2015) so if they wait until next year to try to resign spiller he'll be gone absent the f-tag or a big overspend.

if they want him at a decent price now is the time to do it, not when he's knocking on free agencies door.

I doubt he would void the last year of a contract that would pay him about 6 mill. The RB FA market is non-existent.

Buffalo offered Byrd, a 3 yr contract believed to be in the neighborhood of 9-10 million a year. That's a total of 27-30million. NO offered a 6 yr contract averaging approximately 9 million per yer. That's a total of 54 million.

That is a lot of money to leave on the table. Not only that, Byrd got a very healthy amount in guaranteed money as well. The 2 contracts were not even close to the same. If I was planning for my future, that NO contract is no brainer. I would have left too.

I saw that on Twitter over the weekend - two Bills bloggers discussing. I don't have a link, but can see if there was one on in the Twitter convo.

i don't think that is correct - he hit incentives to boost his 2014 salary to £3.5M (from £1.8M) but he's only scheduled for £2.2M in 2015. surely that will also be boosted by incentives but not by £3.8M.

I don't believe this 3 year, 30m number has any merit. It was simply the first figure to come out.

Tim Graham he stated since that he's heard independently from two different sources that the number was in fact 7.5m for the first two years. And I would assume in that case, it was backloaded.

If that's true, they pretty much pushed Byrd out the door.

I don't believe this 3 year, 30m number has any merit. It was simply the first figure to come out.

Tim Graham he stated since that he's heard independently from two different sources that the number was in fact 7.5m for the first two years. And I would assume in that case, it was backloaded.

yes, but Tim Graham is obviously biased and the bills brass are always forthright, transparent and truthful... :wallbash:

From what it looks like, rotoworld is saying that 12 mill of his incentive pay is available in his final year. Maybe that is what they were were referring to? I think the point was, whatever numbers they were drawing from, was they thought based on the RB FA market, what he would be scheduled to make in the last year if he didn't void it would be more than he would get on the open market.

I have not seen one analyst who believes that a safety is worth what Byrd got from NO. I think the Bills made him a fair offer and he chased the money in NO. Good for him, but I'm glad the Bills didn't pony up more to keep him. I like the guys they have signed. Good teams have depth and that is what the Bills have added. They look to be better against the run, which was a huge weakness. Williams will do fine at FS at the other guys are more than adequate at SS. Would love to have kept Byrd, but I don't believe his leaving creates a huge hole at safety.

Who cares what the analysts think, the Saints thought he was worth it and they are a well run franchise.

Buffalo offered Byrd, a 3 yr contract believed to be in the neighborhood of 9-10 million a year. That's a total of 27-30million. NO offered a 6 yr contract averaging approximately 9 million per yer. That's a total of 54 million.

That is a lot of money to leave on the table. Not only that, Byrd got a very healthy amount in guaranteed money as well. The 2 contracts were not even close to the same. If I was planning for my future, that NO contract is no brainer. I would have left too.

No one has reported that the Bills offered Byrd a 3 year contract.

Warrow reported that the Bills contract offer gave Byrd 30Million over the first 3 years of the contract. No mention of how much was guaranteed.

So if this is true Byrd would make more money with the Bills over the First 3 years (which I think you can assume he would play through. Obviously he can have a catastrophic injury and thats where the guaranteed money comes in. )

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2014/03/10/ap-source-s-byrd-drawing-pre-free-agency-interest/6259569/

Tim Graham stated that Byrd's contract over the entire tenure of the contract averaged 7.5M a year. Time Graham did not mention the first two years.

https://twitter.com/...264782473224192

These are the two pieces of information that have been reported about Byrd's contract.

There are 4 possibilities.

1.) Both Graham and Warrow are correct. Which would mean that the Bills offered 3 Years 30 Million for the first 3 years then the last 3 years would equal 15 million total, averaging 7.5M a year. Knowing that the bar was set with Eric Berry's 6 year 60 Million contract in 2010, a 6 year 45 Million offe would basically be a completely, insulting non-offer that Byrd would never consider.

2.) Warrow's sources are correct and Graham's sources are incorrect meaning the last 3 year's of the contract that the Bills offered is more than 15 Million. Which would make the contract more competitive and possibly pay Byrd more than the NO contract.

3.) Warrow's sources are incorrect and Graham's sources are correct meaning that the Bills offered significantly less than 30 Million over the first three years. Again, reaching the same 6 year 45 million offer that would basically be a completely, insulting non-offer that Byrd would never consider.

4.) All of their sources are full of it and we have no idea what the Bills offered.

Personally I trust Warrow's reporting more than Graham's and I'm in camp #2.

However it appears that a majority of Bills fans are in camp #1 or #3.

Most likely we are all in camp #4 and don't know it.

Edited by Why So Serious?

From what it looks like, rotoworld is saying that 12 mill of his incentive pay is available in his final year. Maybe that is what they were were referring to? I think the point was, whatever numbers they were drawing from, was they thought based on the RB FA market, what he would be scheduled to make in the last year if he didn't void it would be more than he would get on the open market.

i'm not buying it - even if you take $6M (which looks grossly inflated to me) there is absolutely no doubt in my mind he'd get more than that in signing bonus, making a void the easy decision.

i stand by my point - he will void his final year so if the bills want him long-term now is the time to do it. if they wait they will overpay, tag him, or watch him walk for nothing.

No has reported that the Bills offered Byrd a 3 year contract.

Warrow reported that the Bills contract offer gave Byrd 30Million over the first 3 years of the contract. No mention of how much was guaranteed.

So if this is true Byrd would make more money with the Bills over the First 3 years (which I think you can assume he would play through. Obviously he can have a catastrophic injury and thats where the guaranteed money comes in. )

Tim Graham stated that Byrd's contract over the entire tenure of the contract averaged 7.5M a year. Time Graham did not mention the first two years.

with wawrows report i beleive the verbiage was "nearly 30m" or "in the area of 30m" or something along those lines... essentially not a firm 30m as much as a rough number. its possible he didnt really leave any money on the table in the first 3 years, compared to the 28m the saints gave.

from there, whether you believe grahams number or not, it seems the bills source wouldve been a bit more forthcoming over the life of the deal if it hadnt dipped atleast some.

speculation for sure, but i dont think the ice im walking on is tooooo thin with any of that.

with wawrows report i beleive the verbiage was "nearly 30m" or "in the area of 30m" or something along those lines... essentially not a firm 30m as much as a rough number. its possible he didnt really leave any money on the table in the first 3 years, compared to the 28m the saints gave.

from there, whether you believe grahams number or not, it seems the bills source wouldve been a bit more forthcoming over the life of the deal if it hadnt dipped atleast some.

speculation for sure, but i dont think the ice im walking on is tooooo thin with any of that.

here's the facts that argue against the bills' offer being equivalent or superior to the saints: the offer details have not been made public by the bills. if they were superior or equivalent, it would be to the bills benefit to confirm that so they could prove to fans that they really did everything reasonable to keep the guy and he just wanted to leave. next, they had the opportunity to match the best market offer and keep him via tag but they chose not to. lastly, gilmore has implied that the bills offer was not as good as reported and so have reporters. i haven't seen the bills publicly refute any of those statements.what evidence do we have that the bills offer was equivalent or better than n.o.? none, save a vague 30 mil claim that was explicitly specified in the article as not guaranteed, yet we have folks here insisting it must be so....just because.