Byrd = $12.3 M cash, our 5 new FA signings = $17.775 M cash

Estro

I have no problems with Byrd leveraging every avenue available to him as defined under the CBA. However, he did know he would play for the Bills last year once tagged and to hold out until the last moment even when his team was practicing and trying to get better doesn't add up for me that winning was the most important thing. JB's $$ was the most important thing. Missing a host of games due to a mysterious foot ailment (PF) was BS and simply his way to get even with the FO and get his money on a per game played basis. None of this can be proven, but if you agree then it was not in compliance with the rules of intent of the CBA. The guy is FOS. I would never hope for injury on a player or another human being, but I do hope someone knocks him the FO on the very first play from scrimmage as a Taint.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills have $15.5m cap space so far http://www.buffalobi...ee-381b673376d6

Dareus has 1 season left under contract, now is the time to re-sign or trade him if wants to be a FA .

The tell-all with Dareus will be whether or not the Bills pick up the $7m dollar option for a 5th year. That has to be done by 5/3.

There is no doubt he has discipline issues when it comes to getting to work on time. It's rankled more than a few people, players and coaches and FO alike. There's a good chance he's just not what Marrone seeks in a professional player. I hope he grows up.

GO BILLS!!!

I'm not convinced Rivers will start or even make the team if they draft another LB and an UDFA comes out of nowhere. I don't want Moats or Bradham any longer but Lawson played well enough to start.

Also not convinced Carpeneter wins the kicking job.

Lastly Williams signing is routinely listed as one of the worst by a non-Oakland Raider team.

They would have been better off with Byrd (12.3), Graham (5.55), and Spikes(3.25). They could have addressed LG more cheaply or in the draft.

But at least there is hope and new faces. Maybe Williams is a very good LG playing between Glenn and Wood. Maybe Graham, Gilmore, McKelvin, Roby, and the oft injured kid from LSU make one hell of a set of DB's. And maybe Spikes at MLB and Kiko at OLB is the answer to the run defense.

Still not convinced there is a quality SS on the roster though...

Rivers is a special teams guy and LB depth..Lawson was fantastic last year

If you don't think that telling him "were tagging you but your free to bring back any and all offers" and letting it be known we'd entertain a mid-late round pick would have generated a single taker, I'm not sure what to say other than agree to disagree.

Byrd wouldn't have to sign his tag til the day we signed his trade papers and could've signed his new contract within the hour. Your acting like he had to sign it today and risk being shipped anywhere we wanted. He could've fully negotiated a deal start to finish before signing anything.

While I understand a stance that a team wouldn't want to trade a first rounder and pay 9m, I think we both know he could've gotten a 7th out of a team willing to give up that kind of money (or anything remotely acceptable for him).

Clearly Parker had some degree of confidence in byrds value being VERY high or he would've sign the long term deal in buffalo.

And even if all that proved wrong, you've still given no downside for a team that had a plan to be active in free agency eliminating comp picks to atleast tag and feel free to withdraw it later. The only reason it was too late is because we chose to release our rights to him (which would've cost nothing til he signed the papers).

All of those "ifs" that would need to happen for a 7th round draft pick? Seriously?!

It's not worth their time, effort, hassle and embarrassment to do all of that for a 7th. They will have better success with their UDFAs since they have many more chances versus just 1 (or 2) 7th round picks.

The tell-all with Dareus will be whether or not the Bills pick up the $7m dollar option for a 5th year. That has to be done by 5/3.

There is no doubt he has discipline issues when it comes to getting to work on time. It's rankled more than a few people, players and coaches and FO alike. There's a good chance he's just not what Marrone seeks in a professional player. I hope he grows up.

GO BILLS!!!

smarter play would be try hard to sign him to a long-term deal before that date arrives. he will only get more expensive as he gets closer to free agency and the 5th year option, much like the F-Tag, could be perceived as a negative by the player. we've seen with byrd what a 1 year offer vs. a long term deal can do the relationship (rightly or wrongly). the bills don't need that with dareus. they have money, he's young and talented, will only get better, just give him a long-term deal and be done with it.

smarter play would be try hard to sign him to a long-term deal before that date arrives. he will only get more expensive as he gets closer to free agency and the 5th year option, much like the F-Tag, could be perceived as a negative by the player. we've seen with byrd what a 1 year offer vs. a long term deal can do the relationship (rightly or wrongly). the bills don't need that with dareus. they have money, he's young and talented, will only get better, just give him a long-term deal and be done with it.

The option year will pay him $7m and buys time to get a long term deal done. The bigger issue is if the coaches and FO think he's the type of player they want moving forward. As talented as he may be, he's got maturity issues, and that isn't a bankable trait in the eyes of many. I can't see them moving forward on a long term commitment until Dareus proves he's over that hump.

GO BILLS!!!

All of those "ifs" that would need to happen for a 7th round draft pick? Seriously?!

It's not worth their time, effort, hassle and embarrassment to do all of that for a 7th. They will have better success with their UDFAs since they have many more chances versus just 1 (or 2) 7th round picks.

do you find yourself to be the type of person that drops a dollar on the ground and leaves it there because its too much work to pick up?

in this case i was laying out, using the 7th as its unbelievable to think someone would pay 50m+ but draw the line at a 7th round pick, that SOMETHING is better than nothing. last year we allegedly were offered a 4th. would that be "worth the effort?"