Spikes confirmed visiting OBD. Confirmed Signed

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's not my point. My point is that Spikes isn't actually very good.

Against the pass you would be mostly correct...But he's a monster vs the run, and some folks believe he's among the best in the league in that area... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

i really want the bills to sign spikes. spikes will fit this scheme so well but its gonna be crazy when everyone starts bitching about his coverage ability when he gets torched.

Honestly, 808, that is exactly what I was thinking. You toss it around in your head that this is a great pick, but we are in a passing league and wouldn't it be better do have a 3 down backer who was better against the pass.

Still, good move.

Honestly, 808, that is exactly what I was thinking. You toss it around in your head that this is a great pick, but we are in a passing league and wouldn't it be better do have a 3 down backer who was better against the pass.

Still, good move.

The best way to get off the field is to keep teams into 3rd and long. Spikes will help keep teams in 3rd and long.

Still, good move.

Yeah, but that three down ILB is not available in FA. And the run, an area of perpetual weakness for the Bills D, can be addressed with a FA who is available, young and good at stopping the run. If Patrick Willis were available great. If not, Spikes will do. Bills can still draft another ILB come May and develop him.

Edited by purple haze

The best way to get off the field is to keep teams into 3rd and long. Spikes will help keep teams in 3rd and long.

Hey, eme123, I am right there with you and I truly hope it is the case.

For what we are trying to do this season, Spikes is definitely a move int he right direction.

Yeah, but that three down ILB is not available in FA. And the run, an area of perpetual weakness for the Bills D, can be addressed with a FA who is available, young and good at stopping the run. If Patrick Willis were available great. If not, Spikes will do. Bills can still draft another ILB come May and develop him.

True, true. Sorry for the double post, btw, I just reacted quickly and should have merged both yours and eme's comments.

EDIT: AND IT WAS MERGED AUTOMATICALLY, NICE!! LOVE TSW!

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

I am sick of us signing good charactor guys that are good to above average at best. Bring in a jerk with attitude and fire, that is great... it is what we need. If that is Spikes... good.

This team needs a few jerks. Bruce Smith was a world class jackass. No woman was too ugly for Kelly. Thruman was a heavy drinker. OJ... well you know.

Edited by Iraq Vet

I think Pepper Johnson knows far more about Spikes' pros and cons than Smerlas does. The fact that he's in indicates that at the end of the day he's considered to be a net gain for the Bills.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but, I'm certain that Graham pointed this out to provide balance to his report and show that he doesn't have an agenda.

I am sick of us signing good charactor guys that are good to above average at best. Bring in a jerk with attitude and fire that is great. If that is Spikes... good. This team needs a few jerks. Bruce Smith was a world class jackass. No woman was too ugly for Kelly. Thruman was a heavy drinker. OJ... well you know.

Pats are a bunch of douches. Douches that win.

I'll take him.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but, I'm certain that Graham pointed this out to provide balance to his report and show that he doesn't have an agenda.

maybe. But his article was still favored in the direction that he hates the Bills and everything they do is wrong.

It seems like Spikes turned into a liability once teams learned that he can't cover at all. I know people are calling him a 2 down LB, but the Patriots were seeing a lot of passes with him on the field. I think the Bills would be better off passing on Spikes.

How many linebackers do you need to be good at coverage? Only with 5 guy running routes might it be a problem, and if he's on the field covering its likely to be a RB or Some short middle zone. That minimizes the liability a bit.

The article I read was Smerlas bashing Spikes and that is all it did. I didn't see the balance.

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2014/03/14/fred-smerlas-gives-fair-warning-brandon-spikes-questions-character-commitment/

This is starting to remind me of the failed pursuit of Karlos Dansby last year. Stud LB comes in for a visit/physical, board goes crazy, Wikipedia gets altered, no news for hours, player leaves, Bills suck posts start flowing en masse, player signs elsewhere, board acts like they never wanted him in the first place.

This is starting to remind me of the failed pursuit of Karlos Dansby last year. Stud LB comes in for a visit/physical, board goes crazy, Wikipedia gets altered, no news for hours, player leaves, Bills suck posts start flowing en masse, player signs elsewhere, board acts like they never wanted him in the first place.

LOL! Yep. Buffalo as a society is somewhat bipolar. love it

maybe. But his article was still favored in the direction that he hates the Bills and everything they do is wrong.

"Spikes is close with new Bills defensive line coach Pepper Johnson, a longtime Patriots assistant who coached linebackers the past two years. Johnson certainly would know what the Bills were getting with Spikes."

Regardless of anything else, I would think that Johnson knows a great deal more than Smerlas about a player who he's coached for the last two years, yet that was more of a drive by comment, and not really critical analysis. I think that it would warrant more than 1 line, and I'm not even in the anti-TG crowd.