Spikes confirmed visiting OBD. Confirmed Signed

I'd give 3 years, but he will get four. Daryl smith just got a +$4mm/ yr deal. I have to think he is going to get similar money. But I don't like the price, not after we just signed the other dude pretty high.

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that only went up to year 2000 didnt it??

I wonder what the long-term outlook of Biff Co would have been post-Almanac. Even staked to enormous wealth, I can't believe he was much of a businessman and he seemed to have a pretty high burn rate expense-wise, so I could see cash flow problems looming down the road a bit.

Whether he does sign with the Bill's or some other team, I'm sure Buffalo could have signed him on Tuesday for around $10 mil more than he'll likely get now. Kind of shows the Bill's front office is smarter than many of the posters here and let prices settle down and get the same guy from the day old bakery table for half off.

Which brings up another question I'm wondering about more with each year of free angency.

Does free agency work from the team side particually around these first day signings. Do teams ever get good value? You hear and read all about the failures, the defensive end from Washington (Haynesworth was it) being a complete bust along with many other busts. Are there truely many more 1st/2nd day busts than successes or does the news just report the failures as it sells more readers? You'll always have a team like Denver who has a very small window to win taking risks, but for teams like Washington Dallas, Raiders, etc are they just completly wasting money with so many holes to fill.

Or is it becoming a realization that the better approach is to follow the model of Green Bay, Pitt, Giants (and maybe Buffalo too) of signing mostly depth players and low level starters to put around your stars who you get via the draft. And on occasion you do make a bigger FA signing like a Mario Williams, if this is true Spikes, etc. You also resign your own players when reasonable, but knowing there are some who are going to bolt for whatever reason, fell their worth is more, don't like Bufflao, etc. And when that does happen there will always be some team out there in the small window catagory who will over pay to get him.

It's tough right now here in Buffalo as we don't yet have enough stars to easily absorb players like Byrd leaving where as NE can move on without seemingly losing much.

If we really do sign him, you have to wonder how we enticed him to play in Buffalo...it had to go something like "Longest Yard" with Whaley saying "Hey Brandon...you wanna play football in Buffalo??" and Spikes says "Wellll, ......ummmmm" so Whaley, sensing hesitation, chimes in with "We get to play the Patriots twice"....Spikes "Where do I sign?"

Phase one of the UB plan is complete.

Phase two: spread rumours of khalil Mack being a raging alcoholic who abuses farm animals.

He drops to 9, we pick him and start planning the super bowl parade.

No one will ever believe that Khalil Mack posts on Two Bills Drive as jboyst.

Figure it's a matter of when with Pepper on the staff. We'll see.

I'm talking about Pepper Johnson being on the Bills' defensive coaching staff and the connection to Spikes.

If we really do sign him, you have to wonder how we enticed him to play in Buffalo...it had to go something like "Longest Yard" with Whaley saying "Hey Brandon...you wanna play football in Buffalo??" and Spikes says "Wellll, ......ummmmm" so Whaley, sensing hesitation, chimes in with "We get to play the Patriots twice"....Spikes "Where do I sign?"