Byrd is a Saint

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

?? - the bonus alone is $28 million. The math in the post you're responding to makes no sense.

The 28 million is "guarantees" not signing bonus...The SB is only $11 million...For the life of me I still don't understand the whole thing...All I can gather so far is guarantees are not necessarily guaranteed money the way a SB is...

And to think I do nothing but math for a living... :lol:

I would bet you that's what happens. Cut or restructured in year 3.

Parker's such a great agent, but agrees to a totally backloaded contract? Nice.

Cut after two years makes no sense as it would create nearly 7m in dead money. he gets to atleast year 3. thats coincidentally also when vaccaro is a free agent. at that point its a series of very well paid team options.

in this case the saints gave him a pretty flat 9m, while we are rumored to have offered 7.5m front loaded to get similar money in the first 3 years and a huge discount down the stretch. he also went to a contender.

im not sure how you can bash parker on this, as its essentially jason peters without even costing the new team picks.

The 28 million is "guarantees" not signing bonus...The SB is only $11 million...For the life of me I still don't understand the whole thing...All I can gather so far is guarantees are not necessarily guaranteed money the way a SB is...

Thanks for that clarification. He's still guaranteed $28 million, though, right? That makes it effectively a signing bonus in my book (i.e., it's not dependent on being on the roster).

guarantees are guarantees but you can guarantee them for different things (health, vs skill).

in this case it sounds like the first two years are FULLY guaranteed (the only difference between signing bonus and salary being ones in his pocket already but he will get 100% of each no matter what), and part of year 3 is too fully guaranteed. once the league year starts in year 3 the rest of his year 3 salary will also become fully guaranteed, not just partially as it seems to be now. if the reports are correct.

http://www.spotrac.c...ts/jairus-byrd/

Look at the dead money. He gets $20.4M the first 2 years. Realistically, it's a 4 year deal that pays him $36.6M. They can shed the last 2 years ($17M) with very little dead money ($2.2M) if they so desire.

If anything, it shows that he really, really wanted out of this town.

If you listen to Byrd's comments, it's crystal clear that he was really tired of playing for a losing franchise. He wants a chance to make his mark in the playoffs for a Super Bowl contending team. He'll get that chance with the Saints.

If you listen to Byrd's comments, it's crystal clear that he was really tired of playing for a losing franchise. He wants a chance to make his mark in the playoffs for a Super Bowl contending team. He'll get that chance with the Saints.

Yep - he made it very clear in that interview that he really, really wants to win. Can't fault him for that.

@awfulannouncing

Saints signing of Jairus Byrd shows NFL evolution shifting towards secondary http://bit.ly/1gt60GI

(for @ThisGivenSunday)

While cornerback Richard Sherman gets all the media hype, safeties Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellor are the backbone of the Legion of Boom. Their mix of size and speed is perfectly suited to today's NFL passing game. And no team knows that better than the Saints, who went 0-2 at Seattle against the league's best passing defense after seeing Drew Brees and Jimmy Graham largely shut down. Graham was particularly ineffective over the middle of the field versus Thomas and Chancellor.
Edited by 26CornerBlitz

I agree and wish him well. And while I fully understand that as long as they have Brees anything can happen, I feel the roster turnover will be a detriment to them in the short term. While Byrd is certainly an upgrade at the position and being paired with Vaccaro gives them an elite safety tandem, I don't see how they've improved on giving up that fat 4.6 ypc on defense. Sure, that won't matter if their offense consistently gives them big leads to play with, but it's a concern in games they don't.

GO BILLS!!!

I feel the roster turnover will be a detriment to them in the short term. While Byrd is certainly an upgrade at the position and being paired with Vaccaro gives them an elite safety tandem, I don't see how they've improved on giving up that fat 4.6 ypc on defense. Sure, that won't matter if their offense consistently gives them big leads to play with, but it's a concern in games they don't.

GO BILLS!!!

id say you need to dig into the roster last year if you think the turnover was bad, especially on defense. Will smith didnt play a snap and missed time in 2012 (and was a bad fit in the new scheme), vilma hasnt played in 2 years, greer missed a bit of last year and was unlikely to play this year, and they have vaccaro and byrd taking the starting safety tandem over from harper and jenkins - a big upgrade, plus harper missed time last year too. they were shedding a lot of bad contracts, some that didnt contribute even a snap last year and brought in an allpro FS.

they also return 2 players they signed last year for the rob ryan scheme in butler and coleman that missed the entire season with injuries. add to that john jenkins and akiem hicks getting a full offseason as they were pretty decent as rookies

it should be a good unit.

Edited by NoSaint

NO will not be a contender in 2014. Mark it down, remember it in February.

@awfulannouncing

Saints signing of Jairus Byrd shows NFL evolution shifting towards secondary http://bit.ly/1gt60GI

(for @ThisGivenSunday)

I have been saying this for a while. The shift is going on now, and has been for the third year, actually. It just now came to fruition. In 3 years maybe 4 now it will be back on the RB. That's when we will wish we had a 28 year old Fred Jackson and a 24 year old Marshawn Lynch.

They'll destroy the secondaries.

Yep - he made it very clear in that interview that he really, really wants to win. Can't fault him for that.

I will root for him to win when it doesn't affect the Bills. He is super talented. I do think he talks about wanting to win... he could have made a few more plays in the ATL game this year and maybe things would have been different. But whatever... we shall move on.

Signed him pretty cheap too. 5-years and $20.5M with $8.5M SB. Hometown discount?

for an over 30 RT with his short resume of success, thats a pretty hefty contract. i think he gave the saints a chance to match after he shopped himself from what i gather.