Buddy Nix to attend several pro days

Beerball

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't help but think of Russell Wilson when I hear the name Buddy Nix. I know all about the hindsight 20 20 stuff--but man how could he have not seen the value in him at the 69th pick.

It’s not that he doesn’t see the value. He even said Russell was a good player. But scouts/organizations all have draft philosophies. Remember Whaley said last week that between two equal players he’s taking the bigger one? Nix has a similar philosophy. Also, remember Nix valued draft picks highly. In the first three rounds those picks are seen as most valuable. So Wilson did have value to Nix; just not first three rounds of the draft value. If Wilson was available in the fourth Nix might have grabbed him. Wilson was a great college player, was an obvious winner and leader. But he’s a 5’11ish QB in a league that has not seen many QB’s of that size have great success.

One can argue about drafting Graham in the 3rd, but Graham brought elite speed and athleticism to the table. He wasn’t a great player, but he had great potential and based on his physical talent. In fact, his measurables made him stand out at his position. Nix liked big athletes or elite athletes. He’s not the only one. Every team passed on Wilson twice and some three times. I would have loved to have Wilson in Buffalo, but there’s no guarantee we would be seeing what we see out of him in Seattle in B-Lo or anywhere else. Many factors go into a player being successful outside of their actual talent. You think Gailey would have played Wilson?? I don’t. He seemed to prefer veterans to rookies in general.

Also, keep in mind, Russell has his rough patches in games. That defense keeps scores within reach in a lot of games and gets turnovers so he has a chance to chop the wood again. Eventually having extra possessions allows his talent to show itself . He would not have had that in a theoretical year one with the Bills.

Edited by purple haze

I thought it was funny when Nix mentioned the snow remains "within a foot of the top of our mailbox. The snow stays on the ground there until May. It doesn't melt."

I don't consider myself as thin skinned as some when it comes to this so-called Buffalo-bashing and I don't live there anymore, but really Buddy? We all know he's famous for his hyperbole, but the average hick from Chattanooga doesn't. For the sake of those living there, I wish these guys wouldn't continue to spread this nonsense.

It’s not that he doesn’t see the value. He even said Russell was a good player. But scouts/organizations all have draft philosophies. Remember Whaley said last week that between two equal players he’s taking the bigger one? Nix has a similar philosophy. Also, remember Nix valued draft picks highly. In the first three rounds those picks are seen as most valuable. So Wilson did have value to Nix; just not first three rounds of the draft value. If Wilson was available in the fourth Nix might have grabbed him. Wilson was a great college player, was an obvious winner and leader. But he’s a 5’11ish QB in a league that has not seen many QB’s of that size have great success.

Decent logic if Nix didn't give up a draft pick to select an undersized WR with very little college production.

One can argue about drafting Graham in the 3rd, but Graham brought elite speed and athleticism to the table. He wasn’t a great player, but he had great potential and based on his physical talent. In fact, his measurables made him stand out at his position. Nix liked big athletes or elite athletes. He’s not the only one. Every team passed on Wilson twice and some three times. I would have loved to have Wilson in Buffalo, but there’s no guarantee we would be seeing what we see out of him in Seattle in B-Lo or anywhere else. Many factors go into a player being successful outside of their actual talent. You think Gailey would have played Wilson?? I don’t. He seemed to prefer veterans to rookies in general.

Also, keep in mind, Russell has his rough patches in games. That defense keeps scores within reach in a lot of games and gets turnovers so he has a chance to chop the wood again. Eventually having extra possessions allows his talent to show itself . He would not have had that in a theoretical year one with the Bills.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/tj-graham?id=2532850

TJ Graham's combine numbers (with his 2012 rank in parentheses):

40-yard dash: 4.41 seconds (T-7th)

Bench press: 8 reps (not in top 15)

Vertical jump: 33.5" (not in top 15)

Broad jump: 10'0" (not in top 15)

3-cone drill: 6.77 seconds (3rd)

20-yd shuttle: 4.18 seconds (15th)

For comparison, here's the 10th-best value for each of those from this year's WRs at the combine:

40-yard dash: 4.44 seconds (Graham would've placed 5th)

Bench press: 16 reps

Vertical jump: 38.0"

Broad jump: 10'4"

3-cone drill: 6.76 seconds (Graham would've tied for 10th)

20-yd shuttle: 4.01 seconds (Graham would've tied for 15th)

Compared to me or any normal human being, TJ Graham is absolutely an elite athlete. Compared only to the pool of NFL WRs, however, he might not be much better than average. Particularly when you factor in his size (5'11", 188 lbs.). If he was putting up those numbers at Kelvin Benjamin's size, it would be much more impressive. (For the record, he did beat Benjamin in everything but bench press, which is pretty meaningless anyway.)

Graham's speed is probably elite (although Goodwin looks significantly faster on the same field), but it's really unfair to call him an elite athlete overall. He's far too earthbound. Sorry for the off-topic post; I'll shut up now. Just bothers me when people overstate the case for TJ Graham. There's a reason most draftniks projected him as a 5th-7th round pick.

http://www.nfl.com/c...aham?id=2532850

TJ Graham's combine numbers (with his 2012 rank in parentheses):

40-yard dash: 4.41 seconds (T-7th)

Bench press: 8 reps (not in top 15)

Vertical jump: 33.5" (not in top 15)

Broad jump: 10'0" (not in top 15)

3-cone drill: 6.77 seconds (3rd)

20-yd shuttle: 4.18 seconds (15th)

For comparison, here's the 10th-best value for each of those from this year's WRs at the combine:

40-yard dash: 4.44 seconds (Graham would've placed 5th)

Bench press: 16 reps

Vertical jump: 38.0"

Broad jump: 10'4"

3-cone drill: 6.76 seconds (Graham would've tied for 10th)

20-yd shuttle: 4.01 seconds (Graham would've tied for 15th)

Compared to me or any normal human being, TJ Graham is absolutely an elite athlete. Compared only to the pool of NFL WRs, however, he might not be much better than average. Particularly when you factor in his size (5'11", 188 lbs.). If he was putting up those numbers at Kelvin Benjamin's size, it would be much more impressive. (For the record, he did beat Benjamin in everything but bench press, which is pretty meaningless anyway.)

Graham's speed is probably elite (although Goodwin looks significantly faster on the same field), but it's really unfair to call him an elite athlete overall. He's far too earthbound. Sorry for the off-topic post; I'll shut up now. Just bothers me when people overstate the case for TJ Graham. There's a reason most draftniks projected him as a 5th-7th round pick.

Yeah, Graham might be the type of guy the combine is made for. He's a track guy so running in shorts is great for him.

And save the Wilson hindsight crap. i like the guy and believe he could be a top 10 Qb for a long time. But every team passed on him, including Seattle. He "won" a playoff game with 100 yards passing. The Seahawks won the SB because they had a great defense.

GM, not so much. I get and agree with your insinuation.

Yeah, can't say he was a great GM but this team has way more talent than it has had in 10 years. Nix deserves some credit for that (and blame for the bad things). Honestly, I think minus the QB (which is the biggest thing in football), the Bills have more talent than the Pats. Call me a homer if you like. :)

What measurables, other than his 40 time? His drops? His fumbles?

If Buddy really thought, after watching all film available and otherwise "scouting" both players completely, that TJ Graham had more ultimate potential in the NFL than Wilson, than he's not a good scout or draft day performer.

Graham himself figured, before the draft that eh would be selected as a kick/punt returner. That's what he was prepared for.

Yeah, can't say he was a great GM but this team has way more talent than it has had in 10 years. Nix deserves some credit for that (and blame for the bad things). Honestly, I think minus the QB (which is the biggest thing in football), the Bills have more talent than the Pats. Call me a homer if you like. :)

Agreed. I actually considered Nix's tenure to be very productive and fruitful. The Bills changed direction at a good time, but they are a good team to build on thanks to Nix.

Yeah, Graham might be the type of guy the combine is made for. He's a track guy so running in shorts is great for him.

And save the Wilson hindsight crap. i like the guy and believe he could be a top 10 Qb for a long time. But every team passed on him, including Seattle. He "won" a playoff game with 100 yards passing. The Seahawks won the SB because they had a great defense.

Seattle didn't pass on him...

Great find! Love to hear Buddy's views. Surprising to hear him say they were trying to build around the defense with Chan. Having someone like Fitzy and having him runa spread offense, is a little confusing. You would think if defense is the plan, that they would try and build around the run game more.

Either way, I like that he is still helping and that he is even assisting with the UFA's. Writing 120 reports, sounds fun, but daunting.

Talent is mandatory. However, drive and intelligence make the player. It's an elusive combination that was there in Russell Wilson, and is present in many two-sport athletes (I'm a sucker for them.)

Until Buddy & co. stop thinking like neanderthals, we're going to end up with bust after bust. Sure, they'll pick a few good ones. Still, we'll always miss out on "the guy" because of old philosophies, and faulty metrics. Translation: Sometimes you gotta put the stopwatch down, and see where the kid's head is at.

Edited by #34fan

Talent is mandatory. However, drive and intelligence make the player. It's an elusive combination that was there in Russell Wilson, and is present in many two-sport athletes (I'm a sucker for them.)

Until Buddy & co. stop thinking like neanderthals, we're going to end up with bust after bust. Sure, they'll pick a few good ones. Still, we'll always miss out on "the guy" because of old philosophies, and faulty metrics. Translation: Sometimes you gotta put the stopwatch down, and see where the kid's head is at.

Easy for you to say when your job is not on the line. This is why every team in the league scouts the way they do. If Wilson was 6’2” he would have been a top 10 pick. He went in the third. Many teams were caught up on 5’10-11 and the history of that stature of QB in the NFL. Based on your judgment every team has neanderthals in charge because they all have things they will or won’t do at certain points in the draft. Wilson went in the third. How do you know Nix didn’t have him pegged as a fourth rounder and wouldn’t have taken him at that point? I expected Wilson to do well, but it wasn’t a guarantee.

Edited by Beerball