Wide Receiver The bills should get: Kelvin Benjamin

bisonbrigade

Did you guys see Benjamin do the WR drills at the combine??? I'm curious to get your take if you did. I happened to watch him, and I thought he looked very stiff and the opposite of fluid in the drills. Seemed to have problems tracking the ball in the one drill where you have to catch the pass over your outside shoulder. I know not to put too much stock into the combine, but I was entirely unimpressed by him. He also looked slow as molasses in the 40 yard dash especially his get off (10-yard split), seemed really sluggish to accelerate. Guys that impressed me thoroughly for all of the opposite reasons of Benjamin were Brandon Cooks, Odell Beckham Jr. and Martavis Bryant. I especially liked them in the gauntlet drills as well as the drills where they had to track the ball and catch it over there outside shoulder on the go routes. All looked fast, quick and fluid. All looked to be natural catchers of the football.

I think that Benjamin compares very well to Alshon Jeffrey. Both big bodied WRs that fail to separate against NFL CBs because of their lack of long speed. Benjamin will drop a couple too but hell also go up and get balls that you don't think could be caught. You don't teach 6'5 240 with 4.6 speed. Very raw, he will need time. Upside is Jeffrey. Downside is USC Mike Williams

The Bills should draft EJ Manuel's favorite receiver at FSU, WR Kelvin Benjamin. He is 6'5" 235 pounds and the Bills should be able to get him in the 2nd round. THe highlights are from 2013 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP8xhzMPEXo

Second round? I think you're misinformed. Kelvin Benjamin is a unique receiver in that he has gigantic size and he was extremely productive for the 2013 national championship team. He even caught the winning touchdown in the game.

I think that he performed well at the combine. A man his size isn't going to run a superfast time. The guys on the NFL coverage even said as such. Also, he's not going to make turns on a dime because players that size aren't built to do that. They are built to catch footballs down the field and over the tiny munchkin DBs heads, especially in the endzone.

The only knock on him is that he's raw. NFL teams who know how to coach can make a player with Benjamin size and ability one of the best receivers in the game. People are crazy if they think a player with his production and size will make it to the second round. I think this is a byproduct of fans just used to seeing him lower down in the draft blogs rankings and not realizing that teams drool over guys like Benjamin and will be more than willing to draft this guy. Not all teams are conservative. Many teams are willing to risk a boom/bust WR pick if that pick is in the second half of the first round.

Teams I could see drafting Benjamin in the first are...Giants, Rams, Lions, Steelers, Ravens, Jets, Packers, Eagles, 49ers, Patriots. I don't see him getting beyond the Eagles. The Bills will have an extremely good read on Benjamin since their QB played with him for a full season. Enough so that if they take him at #9, I'd be comfortable because that will tell me Manuel was firm in letting them know the kid is competitive and has a very strong drive to become the best player he can be.

Edited by 1billsfan

Did you guys see Benjamin do the WR drills at the combine??? I'm curious to get your take if you did. I happened to watch him, and I thought he looked very stiff and the opposite of fluid in the drills. Seemed to have problems tracking the ball in the one drill where you have to catch the pass over your outside shoulder. I know not to put too much stock into the combine, but I was entirely unimpressed by him. He also looked slow as molasses in the 40 yard dash especially his get off (10-yard split), seemed really sluggish to accelerate. Guys that impressed me thoroughly for all of the opposite reasons of Benjamin were Brandon Cooks, Odell Beckham Jr. and Martavis Bryant. I especially liked them in the gauntlet drills as well as the drills where they had to track the ball and catch it over there outside shoulder on the go routes. All looked fast, quick and fluid. All looked to be natural catchers of the football.

I don't think he looked bad...He looked pretty much exactly how I expected him to...To me he's Sidney Rice only a little taller and a little slower...Sometimes I wonder if they are the same player... B-)

I'd be cool with getting Benjamin. Not sure I'd support taking him at 9 though. I suspect he won't get past Seattle if he makes it that far in round 1.

I saw someone else mention the name Brandon Cooks out of Oregon State. He is a quality WR who had a good college career and combine. Not sure where he's slotted, but in round 2 or 3 coming out with him would be sweet.

Our receivers are good.

I disagree. IMHO our WR is nowhere near good. Especially with a young project QB with only 10 starts under his belt. I agree we need OLine help as well, but please get us a real WR or two (preferably) this off season. Nothing helps a mediocre QB like good WRs (and a decent line).

Edited by reddogblitz

The Bills should draft EJ Manuel's favorite receiver at FSU, WR Kelvin Benjamin. He is 6'5" 235 pounds and the Bills should be able to get him in the 2nd round. THe highlights are from 2013

I can't believe he caught that. It was soooo inaccurate.

Anyway I'd love to see a dominant wideout in a bills jersey. I don't think there is one guy on the team I'd bet on to come down with a jump ball more than not. Aaron Williams? Def not one on O

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood