Jairus Byrd [was Jarius Byrd]

He's the coach ! Of course he wants him on the f n team !! The guy makes plays .

There wasn't the question, in my mind IF they wanted him .

Here is my new concern . and allow me to preface. because i forget to do that sometimes .

I am a big Aaron Williams fan based almost solely on his play last year. He seemed to find good footing in the safety position while Byrd was physically deterred with those toe nail issues . Then he moved back to CB ! And he looked serviceable or better. Then he returned to safety.

Some think he was trending Pro Bowl . I think he deserved some strong votes.

My question is this , if we sign Byrd for a long term contract............

Can we afford Aaron too when his comes up.

Two potentially elite (potentially I said !) safeties on the Bills ? and getting paid like them. Probably not going to happen.

Thoughts ?

Do you pass up the already elite one for a guy that's had one good year? I say no, and cross the bridge when you (are hopefully lucky enough to) have that problem.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He's the coach ! Of course he wants him on the f n team !! The guy makes plays .

There wasn't the question, in my mind IF they wanted him .

Here is my new concern . and allow me to preface. because i forget to do that sometimes .

I am a big Aaron Williams fan based almost solely on his play last year. He seemed to find good footing in the safety position while Byrd was physically deterred with those toe nail issues . Then he moved back to CB ! And he looked serviceable or better. Then he returned to safety.

Some think he was trending Pro Bowl . I think he deserved some strong votes.

My question is this , if we sign Byrd for a long term contract............

Can we afford Aaron too when his comes up.

Two potentially elite (potentially I said !) safeties on the Bills ? and getting paid like them. Probably not going to happen.

Thoughts ?

If they can't sign Byrd, I wouldn't imaging they would sign Williams to a deal similar to what Byrd is seeking, should Williams rise to that level of play.

They need to sign Byrd, deal with Williams if and when, a lot of things will change by then.

I won't proclaim to either but generally speaking would prefer the problem of too many good players to pay than not enough to compete.... It could bite you but more often than not I think it'll pay off

Well, up and coming players ?

Didnt we get into this problem when not getting Jairus locked up earlier ?

Thats the risky part of the game of course.

With Byrd we lost and are just trying to break even . we should have done a long term deal with him from the first window opened.

IMHO good sir

If they can't sign Byrd, I wouldn't imaging they would sign Williams to a deal similar to what Byrd is seeking, should Williams rise to that level of play.

They need to sign Byrd, deal with Williams if and when, a lot of things will change by then.

I dont think Willaims offers the same skill set Byrd does. But Aaron soon need a contract too. if he plays very well again next season have the Bills sat on their hands ? i mean that his market price goes up. Again. This is kinda what got Bills in this bind isn't it ? planning for the future with player contracts ? Edited by 3rdand12

With Byrd we lost and are just trying to break even . we should have done a long term deal with him from the first window opened.

IMHO good sir

I dont think Willaims offers the same skill set Byrd does. But Aaron soon need a contract too. if he plays very well again next season have the Bills sat on their hands ? i mean that his market price goes up. Again. This is kinda what got Bills in this bind isn't it ? planning for the future with player contracts ?

If the plan is to lock up Williams now, we have plenty of room to do so. They'd be a high priced duo but not ridiculous.

IMHO good sir

I dont think Willaims offers the same skill set Byrd does. But Aaron soon need a contract too. if he plays very well again next season have the Bills sat on their hands ? i mean that his market price goes up. Again. This is kinda what got Bills in this bind isn't it ? planning for the future with player contracts ?

I agree right now Williams doesn't offer the same skill set as Byrd. But I think many fans aren't looking at the whole picture when they want the Bills to sign a player before his contract is up in order to lock him in at a better price, why would, in this case, Williams sign a deal now knowing he has a chance for a much larger payday in a year or 2? We may be able to sign him early , but don't expect a discount.

If we are going to franchise Byrd, I would rather keep him and get one more good year out of him. If trade him it will have to be to a team that will only have him for one year under contract. And it would probably have to be a good team that is trying to fill a hole to make a SB run. So it would likely be a late pick in the round. I would suspect we could maybe get a 3rd round pick for him. A late 3rd. Not much value there.

We'd get better value playing him. In his FA year he will be probably play his best season yet. A win-win. Worry about what to do at safety 2015 next year.

If we are going to franchise Byrd, I would rather keep him and get one more good year out of him. If trade him it will have to be to a team that will only have him for one year under contract. And it would probably have to be a good team that is trying to fill a hole to make a SB run. So it would likely be a late pick in the round. I would suspect we could maybe get a 3rd round pick for him. A late 3rd. Not much value there.

We'd get better value playing him. In his FA year he will be probably play his best season yet. A win-win. Worry about what to do at safety 2015 next year.

The team trading for Byrd can agree to terms on a deal before the trade which is the way to maximize value.

Part of analytics is paying the value price for positions or better yet stats. Scott Hatteberg is the poster boy for this. If the Bills can replace Byrd's numbers for a fraction of the price, they should do it. If not, they should pay up. Analytics (if employed in a Beanian fashion) will dictate the move. Trust the math.

Part of analytics is paying the value price for positions or better yet stats. Scott Hatteberg is the poster boy for this. If the Bills can replace Byrd's numbers for a fraction of the price, they should do it. If not, they should pay up. Analytics (if employed in a Beanian fashion) will dictate the move. Trust the math.

And theres the rub eh ?

get ahead of the player contract. They sure got their monies worth out of Byrd !

You nailed it, NoSaint........I'd rather stay vague, but it's definitely not my opinion. And, like I said, they really like him. But, he's not flawless and speed was the first thing I heard.

And even in that, your statement provided enough affirmation to answer my question, and I appreciate it, even though you weren't responding to my question - which I didn't take personally - just letting you know that I understand it was in response to NoSaint and not me...thanks though and hope that it didn't cause you any consternation....

• Yep. I don't see the sense in this exchange for the Browns. Teach the team the defense? Isn't that what TC is for? Why would Byrd want to go to another perennial loser. He can play in any defense, isn't dependent on Pettine for success.

Rapoport reports that Pettine wants to reunited with Byrd, per Twitter.

I

Too much invested at one spot RT
    :
    why couldn't they have both Byrd at FS and Ward at SS?

[*]

b058c29fd881d7644ec7066c372fadf3_bigger.jpeg

Browns would get a playmaker in Jairus Byrd, while Pettine gets someone who could teach their defense to teammates. Would mean Ward walks

[*]

b058c29fd881d7644ec7066c372fadf3_bigger.jpeg

Hear the possibility of reunion between
    coach Mike Pettine and S Jairus Byrd is real. Bills could complicate with a tag & trade tho

[*]

Yep. I don't see the sense in this exchange for the Browns. Teach the team the defense? Isn't that what TC is for? Why would Byrd want to go to another perennial loser. He can play in any defense, isn't dependent on Pettine for success.

they have a lot of money, so it could make sense for byrd.

from their side, its certainly nice to have some guys help bring your culture to the locker room. think rex ryan bringing in bart scott when he became head coach. its an ally that wears a helmet - which in cleveland, given the state of their locker room - might be a very welcome thing for an incoming head coach.