Chris Brown: Buffalo has virtually no dire positional needs

Beerball

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have multiple positions that definitely could use an upgrade. However, i'd say that we do have 2 dire needs that we simply cannot walk away from this offseason without getting significant upgrades. LG and TE.

LG may well qualify as dire. TE would be extremely nice to boost but i think part of us looking at it as DIRE is frustration from the last decade. an offense can succeed with scott chandler as their #1 even if its not ideal, in my opinion. When i hear dire i picture justin rogers at a starting corner spot.

LG may well qualify as dire. TE would be extremely nice to boost but i think part of us looking at it as DIRE is frustration from the last decade. an offense can succeed with scott chandler as their #1 even if its not ideal, in my opinion. When i hear dire i picture justin rogers at a starting corner spot.

LG would classify I think more so than any other position (besides punter). With that being said you don't address those positions at the top of the draft anyways. I think that you will see a LG in free agency or more likely in rounds 2 or 3.

One LBer isn't going to make or break a team loaded with top #1 & #2 picks, as 9 of 11 current starters were drafted in the first two rounds.

What will help that defense is a better scheme with more discipline, and gap control, along with the DT's NOT penetrating the line to get the sack. As opposed to staying in their gaps and controlling their gap, so those opposing O linemen can't get to the second level.

To anyone who thinks that adding one top player on that O line isn't going to make a huge difference. Just look what happened to that line when they let a mediocre run blocker, who was the best pass blocking guard in the NFL , and graded as the best O linemen on that team leave.

From 2012 run blocking #7, pass blocking #10. They let LG Andy Levitre leave and replaced him with bad players. To 2013, and #16 in run blocking, 28th in pass blocking.

I already know what your going to say, that the QB made the difference. I say perhaps, to a degree. But the RB's didn't change, and the run blocking got 2x worse. The pass blocking went the proverbial ceramic convenience, from #10 to #28.

Now think of what an excellent RT, and a very good LG would do for this years team. It would bring that unit to a top ten unit again, and with a QB who has the arm for the deep passing game, it would allow the Bills passing offense to make use of TJ Graham & Marquise Goodwin.

Now, most of you think that an OT drafted in the 3rd or an OG drafted in the 4th will suffice, and be able to do just as well as any. Let me ask, has any O linemen drafted in the later rounds by this team stayed at their position for more then a year or two? I see everyone wants to draft a CB, a WR, a S, a DE in the first two rounds.

The O line is just as important as every position on the field. You draft a later round player, and then plan on replacing him in two years because he sucks. Meanwhile your QB is getting killed weekly.

LG would classify I think more so than any other position (besides punter). With that being said you don't address those positions at the top of the draft anyways. I think that you will see a LG in free agency or more likely in rounds 2 or 3.

i agree that id like to see them atleast set the floor at RT and LG a bit higher through FA and you can always upgrade or bring in a project in the mid rounds. though legursky and pears may qualify as that type of placeholder in the front offices head already. Itd be nice to see them add one starting caliber player to the line in march though, even if hes not the top of the class and then add a day 2 draft pick to the group.

Despite the need for upgrading at G and T, I still wouldn't call it "dire."

There are starting caliber Gs and Ts strewn about the draft. They should feel comfortable picking them in either in rounds 2 and 3. Even with no draft, it shouldn't be hard to get serviceable players at those positions in FA. Especially when IMO, they don't need to spend money elsewhere.

Now, TE could use an upgrade, but even if they let Chandler go and don't sign anyone else, they still have Moeaki, Gragg, and Smith. Not great but they can make do. To those clamoring for Ebron at #9, the dude can't block. They're better suited waiting until the middle rounds to get a better all-around TE.

For LB, I think we'd like to see better play out of Bradham, but I feel like he generally improved as the year wore on. If they don't upgrade there, it's not the end of the world. The big runs that we remember were more a product of schematic flaws and (kiddies, cover your ears) our golden boy Kiko over-pursuing. Sure I'd like to see better run defense, but I think our overall perception is skewed by a number of bigs runs at inopportune times. What I'm saying is maybe we could do better than Bradham but he's a second year player that IMO has gotten better as his career has gone on, and not the black hole that some make him out to be.

I feel the same wrt the WRs. They're young and getting better. We don't know their ceiling. TJ Graham might not pan out but if he winds up as the #4 WR, he's about on par with a lot of #4 WRs around the league. The Bills run with the 11 personnel (1 RB 3 WRs and 1 TE on the line) most of the time. Graham shouldn't see the field all that often anyway, so regardless if you think he sucks, he shouldn't be used as an argument that the WR corps sucks.

Re-signing Byrd should be a priority, but if they lose him, I don't think the combo of AW, Searcy, Meeks and Duke is going to cost them any Ws. Now if Duke/Meeks doesn't pan out they can make S a priority again next year.

All that said- At #9 I'd take BPA out of WR LB DE S (depending on Byrd's status) or QB. Maybe even CB, but I don't think there's one that would be BPA at #9. But not T or G or TE. Pick up a T or G in FA. Draft a TE or T/G (whichever they didn't get in FA) in Rd 2 and get the other in Rd 3 (TE or T/G).

Maybe he means that no one has died this offseason. LG is a dire need and this can't be refuted. It may be the case - though I doubt it - that there is someone on the roster who can step up, whether it is one of these projects or late-season pickups. More likely someone needs to be added. Depth along the OL is a dire need, too. If one of these cats goes down it will be bad.

If you're happy with the production at TE I suppose it isn't a dire situation. Is anybody actually happy with it? Same with the WR production. It needs to be improved.

I have few issues with the guy because he is in the employ of the team and that isn't his fault, per se, but this is some Chris Brown "Lead Journalist" spin if it ever existed.

One LBer isn't going to make or break a team loaded with top #1 & #2 picks, as 9 of 11 current starters were drafted in the first two rounds.

What will help that defense is a better scheme with more discipline, and gap control, along with the DT's NOT penetrating the line to get the sack. As opposed to staying in their gaps and controlling their gap, so those opposing O linemen can't get to the second level.

Wanny?

Sorry, couldn't resist. While perhaps not dire the Bills do need another starter.

As for the TE/WR "hybrid" Ebron, I don't think he's as tall as he's being listed. He certainly doesn't look 6'4" on video. I want one of the other three WRs as our 1st round pick.

FYI, Ebron measured in today at the Combine at 6 foot 4 & 3/8ths, 250 lb

Wanny?

Sorry, couldn't resist. While perhaps not dire the Bills do need another starter.

The Bills had no gap discipline under wannstooge either.

Last year a top 10 defense, and 5th against the pass, #2 in the league is sacks, and they still sucked. 28th against the run was why, and it didn't help win many games.

If Whaley can pull free agents in like Manny Lawson, Alan Branch, and then trade for Jerry Hughes ....Mr 10 sacks. I see no reason as to why they can't find a decent FA linebacker to fill in.

OTOH, look at what the hell happened when they tried to fill LG Andy Levitre's position. Complete and utter poop!! If it wasn't for bringing in Legursky to be the back up center for oft IR C Eric Wood. Then the team would have really been screwed. As it was they ended the season with a few scrubs off the waiver wire as backups.

I just don't get the mentality that any player will do for the O line, and yet the team is in DIRE NEED of a LBer.

Do you agree?

http://www.buffalobi...b9-f9208ec14e72

I'd say LG and one right side lineman are dire as is LB. What say you?

Not dire, but obvious needs exist at WR (the players may be on the roster but they haven't proven it yet) and TE.

I actually pretty suprised he would say that LG is as dire as dire gets. Other holes replace Pears, find a big WR and a play making TE

on defense we need a run stuffing LB - ...now are these going to be addressed during draft or FA - we'll have to wait and see.

Do you agree?

http://www.buffalobi...b9-f9208ec14e72

I'd say LG and one right side lineman are dire as is LB. What say you?

Not dire, but obvious needs exist at WR (the players may be on the roster but they haven't proven it yet) and TE.

Spot on in your assessment. While it may be addressed in free agency, LG and the right side of the line absolutely are dire needs - as is LB. In terms of WR and/or TE, like you, I do not believe it is a dire need; however, we definitely could use a true #1 receiver or a true play making TE. In a perfect world, I would love both - but I would settle for one or the other :D

This is a question to me of value vs. need. If you believe that "X" position is a dire need do you believe that it should be where they target their first pick or are you of the mentality of bpa with need being a tiebreaker? I have been pretty vocal that I think the Bills need at least 3 new OL but also very vocal that the 9th pick should not be used on RT or LG.

Just curious if anyone defines "dire need" as an area that you use your most valuable assets to address because it is the biggest need? I guess that there are 2 schools of thought. I have always been of the mindset that plugging the best players in is more important than replacing the weakest links with the best player at that position. For example, I think that Scott Chandler is better than Doug Legursky but I would rather use the 9th pick on Ebron than Yankey for example. Does that make sense?

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Bills have a dire need to increase overall talent - the question is how are you going to do it

WR- many fans say the Bills need a big WR, not true the Bills have 5 WRs between 6,6 and 6,3 - what the Bills need is a WR who is big and fast and runs good routes and has great hands basically Calvin Johnson, Julio Jones, AJ Green- the question is who is out there in FA who fits that description (hint nobody) or the draft (a couple of maybes but no sure things IMO)

OL- LG and RT are not Idea, This is the Area that the Bills should improve but will that improvement come from players already on hand J.J Unga, Randy Colling, Edawn Coughman at LG and Mark Asper, Chris Hairston, Jamaal Johnson-Webb at OT- OL is also one of the few areas I think can be improved in FA , after players are resigned or have the franchise tag put on them I think most of the talent left will be in OL- Which leaves the draft where it's also a good year for OL - My preference is the Bills making improvements through FA but if they have a chance at great OL players in the draft you can't complain.

LBs - since in about 50% of defensive plays extra DBs replace LBs and right now Kiko and Lawson appear to be our 3 down LBs you have to ask how high a pick you want to spend on a LB

DE, DT- I'm not exactly sure what the Bills defense is supposed to be but if it's a 3-4 they seem to lack a true NT, if it's a 4-3 then they seem to lack DEs especially RDEs

TE- except for Jimmy Graham I'm not very impressed with the TEs in FA but I do like the position in the draft, I'm in favor of full size TEs who can block too Niklas and ASJ

This is a question to me of value vs. need. If you believe that "X" position is a dire need do you believe that it should be where they target their first pick or are you of the mentality of bpa with need being a tiebreaker? I have been pretty vocal that I think the Bills need at least 3 new OL but also very vocal that the 9th pick should not be used on RT or LG.

Just curious if anyone defines "dire need" as an area that you use your most valuable assets to address because it is the biggest need? I guess that there are 2 schools of thought. I have always been of the mindset that plugging the best players in is more important than replacing the weakest links with the best player at that position. For example, I think that Scott Chandler is better than Doug Legursky but I would rather use the 9th pick on Ebron than Yankey for example. Does that make sense?

See my post above.

I'm totally with you wrt philosophy... I just don't think Ebron is a good fit, so I would've used another example.

Another way to put it ( as I have in other threads) is I think the drop off in talent of some positions is far more drastic than in others- and that is especially true in this draft.

Couple that with the idea that (IMO) the difference between a standout G or RT and a decent G or RT is far less important to a team than nearly every other position.

Edited by uncle flap