Is There A Place On The Bills For LB Chris Borland?

Bill from NYC

Disclaimer: I never saw him play other than youtube clips. With this out of the way, he hits like he is trying to destroy his opponents. I don't know his 40 time but he is very quick, and seems to get great angles to the ball carriers. He even looks like a good pass rusher. Now the bad news.....

The kid is 5'11, and his arms are less than 30 inches long. He is said to weigh 243 which is fine, but the height and arm length are obvious concerns. He reminds me of London Fletcher and for those who remember, Damien Covington.

If any of you have seen him play, I would appreciate your takes. Thanks.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes yes and yes!

Borland is a classic ILB that can tackle, take on blocks, and drop fairly well.

He's a bit thicker than Covington was, and a bit better tackler--he's not in Covington's league regarding coverage.

I they want him, it probably has to be at pick 41--I doubt he'll get into the 3rd after the work he put in at Senior Bowl week.

I've seen comparisons to Zack Thomas too...his arms are shorter than 29", shortest measured this year. The concern is with larger backs can he wrap them? In coverage, can 5'11 and 28.5 inch arms really be a distraction over the middle? Honestly, I think he'd be a good back up, special teamer and fullback.

Haven't seen him in a full game, but he's a fire plug from what I've seen on YouTube. I think Shayne Skov of Stanford is more athletic and also a banger MLB that would be better for The Bills, and a great pickup. Borland will find a home somewhere in the league. (edit:) That somewhere could be Philly. I've seen mock drafts with them taking Kyle VanNoy and Borland in 1, and 3.

Edited by Nanker

There is a place for anyone who can play MLB on the Bills, especially if Schwartz leans on his 4-3 background. Kiko would be a potentially devastating weapon as a weakside/Will OLB.

Haven't seen him in a full game, but he's a fire plug from what I've seen on YouTube. I think Shayne Skov of Stanford is more athletic and also a banger MLB that would be better for The Bills, and a great pickup. Borland will find a home somewhere in the league. (edit:) That somewhere could be Philly. I've seen mock drafts with them taking Kyle VanNoy and Borland in 1, and 3.

I agree, Skov is my pick too. I'm hoping he makes it to the 3rd round.

Disclaimer: I never saw him play other than youtube clips. With this out of the way, he hits like he is trying to destroy his opponents. I don't know his 40 time but he is very quick, and seems to get great angles to the ball carriers. He even looks like a good pass rusher. Now the bad news.....

The kid is 5'11, and his arms are less than 30 inches long. He is said to weigh 243 which is fine, but the height and arm length are obvious concerns. He reminds me of London Fletcher and for those who remember, Damien Covington.

If any of you have seen him play, I would appreciate your takes. Thanks.

Yes kid is a stud

It's one of the top 2 positions of need at the moment, so it would be great to hear from some local experts about him, yawin S, skov, and anyone else not named Mosley, since he's well known.

In terms of Mosley, I am a HUGE Crimson Tide Fan and have been watching him for years. Mosley is an all around player. He is WAY better than average in coverage, but I don't consider him great against the run.

The Bills need a linebacker who can do something against the run. They have an over matched head coach and a green OC who insist on playing "hurry-up," this with inexperienced, unproven quarterbacks. They need to improve their TOP stats. A run stuffing linebacker, whoever it may be, would really help.

Edited by Bill from NYC

I saw Chris Borland play in person when Wisky came to OSU in September. I was pretty impressed. OSU's offense is very difficult to defend. He was making plays all over the field. I was especially shocked to see him stone Hyde at the goal line one time. I have not seen anyone else do that to him. Hyde is a big, powerful RB similar to an Eddie Lacy. I don't question Borland's stength or toughness. I would be surprised if his measurables after the combine don't drop him though (for all the reasons above), as I saw on one board he was currently ranked the #2 ILB in the draft behind Mosley, He was Big 10 Defensive Player of the Year in a league that had Ryan Shazier and Darquez Dennard, both dominating defensive players.

In that game, Hyde ended up with only 85 yards and 5 yds/carry, well below his average. I think Borland could also be used in blitz packages as a pass rusher on occasion. I don't think he'll make it out of the 2nd rd.

I think Max Bullough would be lucky to go in the 5th.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Here's a nice site: http://draftbreakdow...s/?position=ILB

It has videos of many of the players. Linky thingy above is for the ILB position.

Here's their Borland page: http://draftbreakdow.../chris-borland/

They also have a links to DraftMecca where the two yammers talk up/down about their opinions about various players.

Here's their (DraftMecca's) take on Borland: http://draftmecca.co...r=Chris-Borland

They're not too keen on him.

In case you missed it from another thread - here's an easy draft simulator that's fun to fool around with:

http://fanspeak.com/ontheclock/

Here's DraftTek's simulator: http://drafttek.com/new%20simulator/

Edited by Nanker

Pete Carroll said something about Russell Wilson that applies to Chris Borland: "He's been that size his whole life and he's found a way to get it done". It's not like the Big 10 (Big 16?) has smaller linemen. I certainly wouldn't dismiss him due to size alone.

1st of all, thanks Nanker for posting the links. I just watched Borland against Arizona State. If you saw it, I don't know how you can arrive at any other conclusion: PASS. Looked like JAG to me.

Edited by JPS

Pete Carroll said something about Russell Wilson that applies to Chris Borland: "He's been that size his whole life and he's found a way to get it done". It's not like the Big 10 (Big 16?) has smaller linemen. I certainly wouldn't dismiss him due to size alone.

1st of all, thanks Nanker for posting the links. I just watched Borland against Arizona State. If you saw it, I don't know how you can arrive at any other conclusion: PASS. Looked like JAG to me.

Everyone has bad games...watch him against Ohio State

I once watched Manti Teo against Alabama. He did OK as a rookie....